What's new

Could double edged razors ever be popular again? I mean really popular?

Do you ever see a day when DEs are selling big again? I mean, selling as well as modern razors?

So much works against this possibility, like the fact that selling on Fusion means you committ a buyer to buying cartridges for years. Modern razors really are smart business for the companies that make and market them.

But I just think that if any guy buys a good, well made, attractive looking DE he'll be hooked. Buy a DE and a box of 100 blades and he's set for years (well, at least 2 years)

Could you ever see this happening on a large scale one day?

Don't tell anyone, it would really be a sin if the rest of the world caught on and the prices escalate the way CIGARS did in the late 90's and currently, tread lightly........:eek:

John

Maybe not in the western world, but I am sure everyone here will try their best. DE is the most popular choice if you include China, India, Arab countires & Africa there are hundreds of millions of DE shavers.

Paul

You never know, we could see a sudden explosion in the DE market one day. All we need is a few celebs using them, some product placements in films, and then some articles in mags like Playboy, Esquire, Maxim, etc. That could really get the ball rolling. Then once you have guys discovering this they might not ever want to go back.

Who knows. Honestly, I doubt it. The quickest easiest way for an average man to get a presentable shave is still a cartridge and gel in the shower. Takes literally two minutes, and for the average guy's skin, he comes out looking fine.

In this country the cost may be an annoyance, but it is not a factor to the degree that it is in the countries were the DE dominates. Here, sad to say, I suspect DE shaving will remain primarily the province of those with skin that cannot be comfortably shaved any other way, and eccentrics who enjoy either the collecting aspect, the nostalgia, or the sensory experience, or a combination thereof. For the average guy, it is not going to be worth the time and energy.

Stores like AOS and C&E are making some inroads with the Metro crowd, but I still think it is limited there to guys who put significantly more time into grooming than the average Joe. They are helping a market realize that the option is there, but the market is still limited, in my opinion.

That's my cold hard analysis.

-Mo

You never know, we could see a sudden explosion in the DE market one day. All we need is a few celebs using them, some product placements in films, and then some articles in mags like Playboy, Esquire, Maxim, etc. That could really get the ball rolling. Then once you have guys discovering this they might not ever want to go back.

Anybody know a celeb who'd be ideal for this?

:cool:

The problem is the marketing power of big companies such as Gillette. Most men's magazines pay attention to their advertisers---and their advertisers certainly pay attention to articles and notes that might affect sales. I think any real momentum would have to include articles on the benefits of traditional shaving in such magazines, and Gillette and others would clamp down on that fast.

180gVinyl - How about Daniel Craig, along with a product placement in the 22nd James Bond film. Can you believe Bond used an electric in Die Another Day!? An Electric!?:confused:

Leisureguy - you're right. The marketing power of the big companies prevents a DE resurgaence from happening. Really, ONLY the big compaines (Big-Shave, we'll call them) could ever make it happen.

Wouldn't it be a wonderfull experiment if Gillette reintroduced a DE to the market? Perhaps a re-issue of the Fatboy, or the Aristocrat? Or maybe the President in time for November 2008.:sneaky2:

The quickest easiest way for an average man to get a presentable shave is still a cartridge and gel in the shower. Takes literally two minutes, and for the average guy's skin, he comes out looking fine.
-Mo

Couldn't have said it better myself, Mo. Shaving with a disposable razor is easy, cheap (that's right.... and you KNOW it is!), and gives most guys a decent shave. This is why I don't expect classic wetshaving will ever gain mainstream appeal. Sure, if it became fashionable or popular, some may go with the trend, but for the most part, I don't expect the DE (or the injector, or the SE) will ever take the place of the disposable or cartridge razor.

-Pete

Who knows. Honestly, I doubt it. The quickest easiest way for an average man to get a presentable shave is still a cartridge and gel in the shower. Takes literally two minutes, and for the average guy's skin, he comes out looking fine.
-Mo
I agree. It's the usual lowest common denominator product (kinda like mediocre beer). I'm sure there'd be a small number of converts if there was mass exposure to DE shaving, but I still think the vast majority would stick with the cartridges.

I do wonder about setshaving with a cartridge though. That would really only add about a minute (and the cost of a brush) to the usual shaver's routine and greatly improve the shaves.

I agree. It's the usual lowest common denominator product (kinda like mediocre beer).

This may be total heresy here, and frankly is irrelevant to anything at all. But I would rather go back to a cartridge and Nivea gel, but have access to all the good beer that is available these days, than stick with my current shaving setup, but have to drink only Bud, Miller, and, heaven forbid, Fosters.

-Mo

Do you ever see a day when DEs are selling big again? I mean, selling as well as modern razors?

So much works against this possibility, like the fact that selling on Fusion means you committ a buyer to buying cartridges for years. Modern razors really are smart business for the companies that make and market them.

But I just think that if any guy buys a good, well made, attractive looking DE he'll be hooked. Buy a DE and a box of 100 blades and he's set for years (well, at least 2 years)

Could you ever see this happening on a large scale one day?

Cristoph,

You are preaching to the choir. The problem is, as another member stated, (in another thread) that the cost would be prohibitive. I think the argument was if you took the cost of the razor, in 1940 dollars and brought it up to speed in 2007 dollars, you'd get some outlandish figure. Was it $500.00? Anyone remember? All of a sudden, $30.00 looks like a steal.

I'd love to see them become real popular again. I'll save that for one of my three wishes, if I ever run into a genie... Yeah, that's gonna happen. :laugh:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wouldn't it be a wonderfull experiment if Gillette reintroduced a DE to the market? Perhaps a re-issue of the Fatboy, or the Aristocrat? Or maybe the President in time for November 2008.:sneaky2:

Let's see... Take years of research, product development, marketing and toss it aside to promote a product that sells for a dime a day? It's not gonna happen. There's too much profit in cartridges to waste marketing dollars on DEs, even if it is just a throw back promo.

I'm glad we have cartridges. It means we are a wealthy nation. Let the masses use them and we can keep buying our 10 cent blades and be happy. I'm also thankful that there are a few companies out there servicing this niche market that is growing.

You can still wet shave with a cartridge. The blade is only part of the equation. That's why Eric Malka of the Art of Shaving stands by the Mach III. According to a New York Times article he said it is easier to get men to upgrade than get them to try something completely different. The real focus for us should be on introducing people to better lathering products. I believe that is were the most gain could be made.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Don't tell anyone, it would really be a sin if the rest of the world caught on and the prices escalate the way CIGARS did in the late 90's and currently, tread lightly........:eek:

John

I think it would play out a little differently. During the cigar boom, old timers were virtually shut out from their old favorites, and had to endure long waits for anything mentioned even briefly in "The Cigar Spectator". When the inevitable bust came, tons of shops went belly up and had to unload a sea of crap for pennies on the dollar, and no bargain at that, either.
With DE's, I don't see any harm in
1) new models of razors appearing
2) prices of vintage razors going through the roof (pretty much have everything I need already, but it might hurt the newbie)
3) factories churning out billions of quality blades, which I'll be able to buy for next to nothing when the fad fades.

This may be total heresy here, and frankly is irrelevant to anything at all. But I would rather go back to a cartridge and Nivea gel, but have access to all the good beer that is available these days, than stick with my current shaving setup, but have to drink only Bud, Miller, and, heaven forbid, Fosters.

-Mo

That's why I've developed the following philosophy-
I want good shave gear and good beer. :thumbup:

Quote from BarryR:
'I do wonder about setshaving with a cartridge though. That would really only add about a minute (and the cost of a brush) to the usual shaver's routine and greatly improve the shaves.[/QUOTE]'

I completely agree - and there does seem to be a market response to the increasing popularity for these cartridge shaving sets. I think once this consumer group recognizes the difference a brush and good quality soap can make, they are just one step away from trying a DE. Baby steps!

So although it's highly unlikely traditional DE shaving would ever rival the popularity of today's cartridges and gels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a modest resurgence in the mainstream.

mike

John
+1. one of the reasones, other than a great shave, is the price factor that makes DE shaving so attractive to most of us here. I also like the fact that we are not part of the herd of multi blade users, sort of an exclusive club. If DE's do make it big again i guess we will still be left with a good shave.

Just hope the DE/Straight, brush and cream/soap doesn't get really popular again.

If it did, we'd have nowt to talk about and nobody to point fingers at and laugh!

Gareth

Anybody know a celeb who'd be ideal for this?

:cool:

ZZ Top :biggrin:

But let's be honest - except for those who have ingrowing hair or other problems with multibaldes, the biggest advantage is to be gained from the brush and the traditional lather.

With skill and time the DE razor can beat a multiblade; but with the trad lather that multiblade can come close, and with little skill or effort.

Top Bottom