What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A few stones from a estate sale. A before and after they received some lapping love

57C3C33C-8964-4061-A5CC-B847E59EA648.jpeg
AC3FB9C4-7F02-4C15-A984-43C2F91468DD.jpeg
83E7DDF4-B7BE-40DF-B15E-15BEC570290F.jpeg

A very good 8"x1.5" from Burton Rox, bought in Belgium in 1990. I tried to photograph the surface as precisely as possible. These dots and scratch-like texture says nothing about the fineness of a coticule. This is a very fine one, the dots are not big garnets or the like. I think it's a La Veinette. It has some blushing at one end, it has a hybrid layer at the bottom of the yellow side, is glued with Araldite and is medium hard at the top. A great razor finisher.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The sides of your Burton are very similar to my 8x2. Layering, vertical black splotchy lines, and small hybriding. Mine has a creamy looking top though - do the dots on yours disappear if you look deeper into the layers? Not sure if mine is Ol’ Preu or Regne.

23FB44AF-6FD0-404D-84C3-DBE5D43E09A0.jpeg

C5F5EBDD-89F1-45DA-9E1B-42F7F6B46518.jpeg
DCD71D13-898B-4FE4-861D-BBDC47A1312D.jpeg
DB571211-1F28-436F-9A04-27148F633B88.jpeg
1E1276A7-7B47-4DAE-B799-BC3077B6011C.jpeg

The sides of your Burton are very similar to my 8x2. Layering, vertical black splotchy lines, and small hybriding. Mine has a creamy looking top though - do the dots on yours disappear if you look deeper into the layers? Not sure if mine is Ol’ Preu or Regne.

View attachment 1129869
View attachment 1129872View attachment 1129880View attachment 1129876View attachment 1129877
A very nice stone Musicman. These dots seem to disappear a few mm below. But these are no inclusions for me. They are not harder or softer, they just have a different color. With a good lupe you can see that these are no garnets, they look like bubbles and have no effect on honing. Lets say its like "goma" on Japanese stones. Yours look like a La Dressante to me. They can be homogeneous like a piece of butter, some have those dots too. They also have layers that vary in color and hardness, usually they get darker, the closer they get to the blue stone. But they also vary in grit. Some are super fast and some are very slow and so on. I like the blue in your stone. I am just about to lap a very old one flat (~9.7" x 2,15"). It is glued with old yellow resin varnish. There is not much yellow stone left, the blue material that can be seen on the side on your stone pops through on top here. But it can not be felt, the surface is very smooth. This one seems to be a slow one, its harder than my La Veinettes.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Another interesting stone with light blue crystals and some brown hybrid (10"x 2.3"). It needed some good work on the surface, it is a very hard stone. A 1k+ diamond plate before 600 grit sand paper helped a lot. Now it is perfectly flat and a superp finisher.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A small but rather lovely stone which I got round to lapping today.
At the smaller end measuring 6” x 1 3/8”. But what it lacks in size it makes up for in performance, very hard and fine stone. Though this stone is a vintage I’m assuming it is a La dressante au Bleu / dressante upper layer combo which was not sold separately due to the curve.
One end is 90% coti, and the upper layer is thick enough to last a lifetime of use
Cuts (relatively) fast with water only and very fast with slurry.
A beautiful stone that I wish was just a little bigger
965898B3-D463-4916-9AFB-9BA7D03D880C.jpeg
6794B68F-53DE-4A73-B68B-DFC5F1F23E7E.jpeg
466CEB09-6030-43AD-859B-CC89D234F9C9.jpeg

Attachments

• 76137A95-A736-46AA-A840-FB128F9586FC.jpeg
    76137A95-A736-46AA-A840-FB128F9586FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Knife regulations in Sweden are pretty strict. But you can still carry if theres reason for it. And my only decent slurrystone makes a decent hone for the really tiny knife.

Attachments

• 15957954952805232585195785563268.jpg
    15957954952805232585195785563268.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 28
This one is except the black lines a super clean stone (242x54). First I thought it must be artificial, no texture, no bubbles or dots visible, absolutely homogeneous. It is a very hard stone with "larger" garnets. For me, it is perfect to use before final finishing. It feels super smooth to the touch but is almost as fast as a 1k artificial stone and leaves a very keen edge. HHT is possible, but it is not that "high class" finisher that leaves a mirror polish, it leaves more a cloudy or semi polished edge. I think its from the´60s or older, yellow resin glue was used.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A very good 8"x1.5" from Burton Rox, bought in Belgium in 1990. I tried to photograph the surface as precisely as possible. These dots and scratch-like texture says nothing about the fineness of a coticule. This is a very fine one, the dots are not big garnets or the like. I think it's a La Veinette. It has some blushing at one end, it has a hybrid layer at the bottom of the yellow side, is glued with Araldite and is medium hard at the top. A great razor finisher.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
It looks like Nouvelle or possibly Dressante to me.

A very nice stone Musicman. These dots seem to disappear a few mm below. But these are no inclusions for me. They are not harder or softer, they just have a different color. With a good lupe you can see that these are no garnets, they look like bubbles and have no effect on honing. Lets say its like "goma" on Japanese stones. Yours look like a La Dressante to me. They can be homogeneous like a piece of butter, some have those dots too. They also have layers that vary in color and hardness, usually they get darker, the closer they get to the blue stone. But they also vary in grit. Some are super fast and some are very slow and so on. I like the blue in your stone. I am just about to lap a very old one flat (~9.7" x 2,15"). It is glued with old yellow resin varnish. There is not much yellow stone left, the blue material that can be seen on the side on your stone pops through on top here. But it can not be felt, the surface is very smooth. This one seems to be a slow one, its harder than my La Veinettes.

I had a hunch mine was a La Dressante, it's got the almost icy smooth super fine feedback LD's are known for. By the blue in my stone, do you mean that 1 inch long grey blue area, or the much longer dark green stuff at the bottom of the yellow layer? That's probably hybrid material, but the grey blue I am not sure.

You might able to tell I filled in a few areas on the sides of my coticule with superglue, including the holes in the grey blue area.

I had a hunch mine was a La Dressante, it's got the almost icy smooth super fine feedback LD's are known for. By the blue in my stone, do you mean that 1 inch long grey blue area, or the much longer dark green stuff at the bottom of the yellow layer? That's probably hybrid material, but the grey blue I am not sure.

You might able to tell I filled in a few areas on the sides of my coticule with superglue, including the holes in the grey blue area.

I like this grey-blue, because all coticules with this crystals that I have are very fine. I guess its quartz, because it seems to be very hard on most of my stones. But some of my coticules have blue lines that are not as hard as quartz crystals, but they are also very fine. Thats why I generally like blue stuff in coticules. :thumbup1:

It looks like Nouvelle or possibly Dressante to me.
Thanks, you could be right of course. I thought La Veinette because I got one from Ardennes Coticule that was very similar. It has this hybrid layer along the adhesive surface and such layers with slightly different colors. But its not that important to know I think. I like the stone because its a very good final finisher, for me, this counts more than knowing the layer. :biggrin1:

Pick this up in a lot with some bad pictures about a month ago. It was quite brown until I lapped it and it turned very pale, so I’m tanning it now to see if it’s a LGB or if something else had darkened it before. Gives a quite good finish even though it doesn’t feel ultra fine under the razor. Surface almost looks like a kosher stone, kind of matte and fuzzy... But for two very light blue veins... and performance matches a couple koshers I had way back in the day... "fuzzy" is how I'd describe its feel... like a peach.

Attachments

• 07161130-443D-48E5-A792-7DA3D6B98DC9.jpeg
    07161130-443D-48E5-A792-7DA3D6B98DC9.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom