What's new

This is how I finish scales with shellac

How I finish scales with shellac.
For those of you not familiar to shellac, have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac
I've done my fair share of furniture restores using shellac.
But I have never up until recently used it on scales.
I pretty much assumed that it wouldn't hold up.
But a recent thread were a fellow member talked about gunstock & shellac got me thinking.
With the little exposure to water that the scales get during a shave, they should be fine, no worries at all actually.
And if something happens, a quick touch-up would be very easy.

But once waxed I'm now pretty sure that there won't be any problems at all.
Basically what can happen with shellac finishes it that they turn white or get white marks from to much moisture.
Think white rings after glasses & bottles on old tables.

I've done some tests & even handed my kids a few pieces of olive-wood finished with shellac to play with & even unwaxed they stood up well.
Iv'e kept some bocote finished with shellac & wax in the bathroom, lying open in the bathroom window for a few weeks. No problems at all.
Infact I believe that if there is so much mositure around the scales that the shellac would be ruined,
you would before that have had problems with rust on the blade.

I really love the look of wooden scales & I love to work with wood.
I also love to keep the natural look of the wood.
The so popular CA-finish aint for me.
It just makes everything so artificial.
Like a beautifully colored acrylic.
And it feels like plastic in your hand.
But lets take that discussion elsewhere.
YMMV

IMHO shellac enhances the look of the wood, protects it & adds a kind of natural warmth to the wood, both for the eye & your hand.

Let's roll;
Here's my way of putting shellac on scales.
There is a gazzilion of opptions.
Back in the days shellac polisher or French polisher was a full time occupation that required a long apprentice-ship to learn.
My way is resonably easy to get great results with IMO.
The patient we are demonstrating on is a pair of bocote scales. http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/about_bocote.htm
proxy.php

Sanded to 1200 grit, 3 coats of 50/50 tung-oil/naptha dried for 48 hours & then hand buffed with cheese-cloth.
I didn't fill the pores because bocote has a very tight grain in itself.
If you like, you can do it.

How is up to you, commercial grainfiller, wetsanding with "slurry", shellac with pumice & so on.

If you have a more open grained wood, filling is necessary.
But almost all hardwood has pretty close grain.
You can also burnish it, i.e rub it against another piece of wood or with a glass object.
Experimenting is fun!

First we need shellac:
You can find it at hobby stores, old school paint stores or furniture suppliers & also of course on eBay.
100 grams will only set you back a couple of $ and will last for lots of scales.
There is a variety in color, the most common is blond(white) lemon & orange.
I went for lemon here.
They don't add much color at all. More a tint or warmth. Deepening of already existing colors.
The perhaps most classic combination is mahogany & orange.

You can also choose from de-waxed or natural.
For these kinds of jobs I like the natural.
If you do a piano or old Victrola, go for de-waxed.
Again, experiment!

You will also need some alcohol.
It has to have a high alcohol content, at least 70% of volume (what ever that is in "proof")
The purer the better. The best you can use is the pure stuff that dentists use.
Old timers that restore & make furniture around here usually brew their own just to get it as pure as possible.
But since home-brewing hard liquor is forbidden by law in most civilized countris, we settle
for the denatured kind. Your best bet is to buy it in a paint store, that way you know it will be denatured in a way that still make it useful
in painting. If you are Swede, Nitor makes the best stuff.
proxy.php

proxy.php

OK, you have shellac, alcohol & a place to work.

Another good thing about shellac polishing is that it is completely harmless.
Shellac is infact used as a finish on many glossy candys like M&Ms.
And as long as you aren't inhaling denatured alcohol fumes for hours on ends there is nothing to worry about.

Take about 2 tablespoons of shellac flakes and put in a glass jar.
Pour alcohol over until the shellac is covered.
Put on a airtight lid & shake well.
Let it sit for a day or so, shake a few times every now & then & wait until everything is dissolved.

Here is what it looks like then:
proxy.php

Take out another glass jar & put an old t-shirt over the opening.
Make sure it's a cotton shirt, no synthetics, the alcohol might dissolve it...
Now pour the shellac into the other jar.
This will filter out any impurities left after the crushed bugs.
proxy.php

Now the shellac is ready for use.

Next we need something to apply it with.
A brush can be used, but I find it absolutely best to use a sudd (sorry, it's called sudd in Swedish, no idea of the proper English word,
so I'll go ahead with "sudd")
A sudd is what was used & still is used in all professional shellac polising.
With bigger objects the most common size is a sudd that fills your palm.
An old wool sock covered with t-shirt cloth is perfect.

But, this is a scales-sudd:
Sift thru SWMBO's toiletries, you will find some kind of cotton pad or ball.
Take one & then cut a squarish piece of clean cotton cloth.
The old t-shirt comes in handy again.
proxy.php

Fold the cotton like thus:
proxy.php

And place it on your cotton cloth:
proxy.php

Fold the cotton cloth so it resembles something like this:
proxy.php

And we are ready to rock!

Pour a little shellac into a smaller tray, I used the lid for the jar.
Dip your sudd in the shellac, let it soak in good.
First time you dip it will be really thirsty, but after the first time, it will only take up a small amount.

Now take the sudd & dab it a few times against something absorbing.
An old newspaper is great or any piece of none-glossy paper actually.
Now you are ready to use an over 200 year old method of finishing wood!
There are any number of ways on how to move the sudd.
But lets not go into that.

For scales I do two rather quick strokes wait a few seconds & then comes back & do a third.
Finished.
Exception is the first pass, then I sort of rub the shellac in & smooth it out with a few strokes.
The single most important thing with working with shellac is to never, ever let the sudd stop.
It will immediately create a big ugly hole in the finish.
Let the sudd hit the scales running & also leave like that.
Never go back "and try to fix things" If you mess up a little, let it dry & sand the faults down using 0000 steel wool.

If you mess up big time, take a cloth, soak it in alcohol wrap it around the scales for 30 seconds & then wipe all shellac off.
And start over. Shellac holds up really good against almost any other solvent, but alcohol dissolves it very fast.

I do three coats rather fast, maybe over ten minutes.
Let it dry, might take 15 or 30 minutes then I sand very lightly with 0000 steel wool.
Very lighty remember.
Dust the scales off, tack-cloth is ideal, but any piece of felt or cotton will do.
Apply a new coat. let it dry. sand. Apply a new coat. And so on. You get the idea
I usually go for ~10-12 coats.

If you want to crank up the glossy-factor, when your last coat is near dry, take a piece of felt, saturate it with turpentine & raw linseed oil & polish like mad.
If you do it right, you will have a piano finish. I don't do that on scales though. Up to you again.
If it gets to glossy, take some 0000 steel wool & sort it out.

Here is a quick video showing the procedure:
(excuses for the music, but I was home alone & took the opportunity to really crank it up , bonus point for guessing artist/song)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_mssoaD18[/YOUTUBE]
After first application:
proxy.php

Wet shellac. Notice how I've covered up the sudd & shellac with plastic.
Shellac dries so fast that you can't leave it out.
Always keep the lid on the jar & the sudd either wrapped in plastic or in another jar.
Shellac has a long shelf-life as long as it is stored out of the sun & in a air-tight glass container:
proxy.php

After 5 coats, exactly the same position & light as the first picture without shellac was taken:
proxy.php

Finished!
11 coats. Unfortunately I ran out of daylight... But you get the idea.
A few small dust speckles that I will remove with (can you guess........................ 0000 steel) wool before waxing.
Some very light steelwooling on the finsihed shellac also makes the wax blend in better with the shellac.
And as long as you are careful, it won't affect the look:
proxy.php

Still they need to dry overnight & then buffed & waxed.
I like a good home-made wax like 1/3 of each of naptha/carnuba/beeswax.
But that is your choice.
And then I'll pin them to a blade.
When it all gets done I try to get a decent photo and post here.

Any comments or thoughts highly appriciated!

Last edited:
Nice tutorial.
I've finished a set of scales in Shellac & customer has had no problems with water staining in over 2 years. As with oil finishes it is far more pleasant in the hand than CA or varnishes. It also is ironic that Shellac provides a better barrier to water vapour than most synthetic finishes for timber.
PS I think the highly technical term in English for sudd is pad or rubber:001_smile

Nice tutorial.
I've finished a set of scales in Shellac & customer has had no problems with water staining in over 2 years. As with oil finishes it is far more pleasant in the hand than CA or varnishes. It also is ironic that Shellac provides a better barrier to water vapour than most synthetic finishes for timber.
PS I think the highly technical term in English for sudd is pad or rubber:001_smile
Thanks!

And nice to hear that you had nice & durable results with shellac.
The feeling in the hand is what really makes shellac my favorite.

Thanks for the pad/rubber lesson!
That is mainly what "sudd" means also.

I was thinking along those lines, but I wasn't sure & didn't get any help from a translator software either.
And strangely they didn't learn us the proper word for "shellac sudd" in English class in school :biggrin1:

What a great tutorial! I'm gonna have to try it. I have some shellac that was purchased to melt and hold stuff to wood so I could engrave them. Now, I can use it for two things. :thumbup1:

One question. You mentioned that shellac is adversely affected by alcohol. Does that mean damage might occur if someone wipes the blade down with an alcohol-based disinfectant? Some of the solution is sure to come in contact with the scales.

Some, like me, would not be affected because I do not disinfect the blades that I use. (The process of restoration gets rid of any cooties on mine) But it may make a difference to those who do use it.

Hi Bill. I hope 'honed' doesn't mind if I answer but yes, alcohol is the solvent for shellac & it will dissolve it on contact but that is also an advantage as it makes it easily blended or repaired. Does require a bit more care in that sense.

What a great tutorial! I'm gonna have to try it. I have some shellac that was purchased to melt and hold stuff to wood so I could engrave them. Now, I can use it for two things. :thumbup1:

One question. You mentioned that shellac is adversely affected by alcohol. Does that mean damage might occur if someone wipes the blade down with an alcohol-based disinfectant? Some of the solution is sure to come in contact with the scales.

Some, like me, would not be affected because I do not disinfect the blades that I use. (The process of restoration gets rid of any cooties on mine) But it may make a difference to those who do use it.
Thanks Bill!

Yes, that is correct, if it's high enough alcohol-content, it will dissolve.
For example regular rubbing alcohol dissolves shellac.
However, if they are waxed, the alcohol wont get to the shellac, since wax stands up well to alcohol.
Wax dissolves in naptha or turpentine. And hopefully no one will wipe a blade with that :biggrin1:

But the good thing is that a shellac finish is very easy to fix once you get used to how it works.

Actually, come to think about it I can see why someone like you who makes a living out of making razor scales (and the stuff you fill 'em with) would prefer a finish that can stand more wear & tear.
I have no doubt that a shellac finish would last even without wax if the user is careful in a "normal" way & treats his straight with the respect it deserves. But not everyone rolls that way :blink:
And then CA comes in handy. It's almost bullet-proof

I have a good example from my other hobby, antique phonographs, thats were I learned about old school finishing of wood. .
One of the real big-shot restorers in that world is an old guy from Chicago named Walt.
He does some down-right amazing work!
I've bought some parts from him a couple of times& we've emailed a bit back & forth.
Every now & then he sells a machine on eBay.
And they are all finished with a modern varnish.
I couldn't understand why, since that is something he & every other serious collector despises.
One day I wrote & asked him why, because I could understand it.
"Well it's either that or I do it like it should be with shellac but then I get a claim a month later that the machine they bought from me was worthless because it now had a big ugly water-stain on top & all they had done was to keep a flower-pot on top of it...and maybe spilled a little but not much"
"So all machines that I sell on eBay always goes to someone who just want to add some cool antiques in the apartment, I finish with varnish because they don't have better common sense then that they spend $1500 on a 100 yo Victrola & then use it as a flower stand"

Anyway, keep us posted on your findings!
And you all ready found out that it's a great way to attach things to each other that you want to take apart later.

Here is a project I finished a while ago to requires a bit more work with the shellac...
An oak Victrola model VV-IV from 1919.
Arrived in a sad, sad state but came out pretty good if I might say so myself. And now it regularly plays sweet music again!

Before:
proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

Hi Bill. I hope 'honed' doesn't mind if I answer but yes, alcohol is the solvent for shellac & it will dissolve it on contact but that is also an advantage as it makes it easily blended or repaired. Does require a bit more care in that sense.
No I don't mind, in fact your answer was short & to the point. Mine got lost in a ramble :lol:

Great posts! I have been experimenting recently with boiled linseed oil, to learn how it works. I am also a big fan of tung oil on wood. I have not used shellac very much. It is quite interesting.

Thanks.

No I don't mind, in fact your answer was short & to the point. Mine got lost in a ramble :lol:

Some say ramble I say detailed :lol:

Do you use Shellac as a sealer coat before other finishes ? I find it helps bring out the warmth & colour even before CA . I did my shave brushes that way. CA over Shellac wash coat. Nice job on the phono btw :thumbup1:

Last edited:
very informative tutorial. Scales look great and seemingly impervious to water and all. thanks for your detailed information.

Great posts! I have been experimenting recently with boiled linseed oil, to learn how it works. I am also a big fan of tung oil on wood. I have not used shellac very much. It is quite interesting.

Thanks.
Both oils are great choices for almost any wood.
And I always do a couple of hand rubbed coats with either of them before applying shellac.
I think many that use modern finishes also use oil first, it really makes everything looks better.

very nice :thumbup1:
Some say ramble I say detailed :lol:

Do you use Shellac as a sealer coat before other finishes ? I find it helps bring out the warmth & colour even before CA . I did my shave brushes that way. CA over Shellac wash coat. Nice job on the phono btw :thumbup1:
Yes, that is another great thing with shellac.
Once dried you can apply almost anything over it with out any problems.
It takes CA, varnish, spray-on lacquer & what not like a champ.
If I do an object that is going to be used more, like an old wooden chair, I sometimes used spray-on lacquer with good results.
You pretty much conserve the look of shellac finish.

Another way is to use Old English Lemon oil right on the shellac.
Protects it further & gives an additional warmth to everything
very informative tutorial. Scales look great and seemingly impervious to water and all. thanks for your detailed information.
Thank you

Well, the shellac has dried & been waxed with lightly tinted (mahogany stain) carnauba/beeswax/turpentine & polished.
This is pretty much how it will look when finished.
I usually give it another rub with a piece of felt after another day or so, but this is pretty much it.
The photos makes it look a bit darker then in reality, but today daylight wasn't much more then gray mush..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And this is how much I trust my finish...
Posing in -6C in the snow
proxy.php

It's gonna be properly pinned & the blade lightly sanded & buffed to high shine, some genius have tried to "restore it" using what looks like a wire brush.
These models of framebacks often has rather visible original grindmarks, something I don't find negative, because that is how they were made.
But this bloke took them away & replaced them with his own wire brush marks. Good going there boy. NOT!
So, it will be a mirror instead. Won't hurt either.
Apart from that the blade is almost unused.

Oh, yes I might do some work on fitting the bone-wedge a bit better too :biggrin:

Last edited:
And it's ready for the hones!

It has a really nice, warm amber tone to it.
Feels great to the touch!
Unfortunatley there are 3 problems with capturing it on camera:

1. Horrible lack of daylight
2. 4 year old point&shoot camera
3. Really bad photographer

And the worst of it all, that the list should probably be reversed in regards of what is the biggest problem...

Anyhow, here it is,
1890's Eskilstuna Jernbolag blade, handsanded from 600 grit up to 12.000 micromesh & handbuffed with cerium oxide to a satin mirror.

Rescaled in bocote, 3 coats of tung oil finished with 11 coats of shellac
and waxed with mahogany-stained homemade carnauba/beeswax.

I hope you enjoy!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Well done ! Nice finish on the blade & the timber looks awesome.:thumbup1:
Dunno about the photographer tho. He ain't so bad :001_smile

Tulip wood taken as far as possible (or almost..) with shellac.

Sanded to 600 grit, 2 coats of tung oil.
The tung-oil had a bath with some alkanna-root beforehand , to really bring out the red in the tulip wood.
24 hour drying, sanded again with 600 grit & then I "slurried"
the sandind dust from the wood with 50/50 tung-oil/naptha.
Light circular sanding & then straight with the grain, finish with vigourous buffing/burnishing with felt cloth.

Dried 48 hours & then I did the shellac, just as described above.
12 coats.
When the last coat started to dry I hit it with felt soaked in turpentine&linseed oil & rubbed like mad.
24 hour drying later & I took out the pad/rubber/sudd I had used from the closed jar it was stored in, soaked it in alcohol, dabbed away all excess drips & did another couple of "coats" on the scales.
The meaning of those "coats"is to even out every small imperfection & makes everything even shinier.
24 hour drying & then it's time to take out the pumice & rottenstone.
Sprinkle, sprinkle & then hit it with felt, rub like mad...

Some wax & a lot more madman rubbing with felt, you can actually see your reflection in the scales.
Visible in the first pic, it looks like smudges beneath the thumb-notch, but that is actually a reflection of me

You can also see that the grain isn't 100% filled.
I like it that way & it does give more life to the scales when holding them, but if they were filled with shellac/pumice or commercial pore-filler, the shine would be that of a piano.

The wedge will be either pink ivory or bleached bone.

Enjoy!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is a great article and should be very useful to those just starting to finish wood. I use this method sometimes on both scales and my travel boxes. It does impart a very soft look to the wood and the wax does, pretty much, give it full protection to the elements.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Ray

Top Bottom