What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Guys, new to Coticules and veins, according to the mine I have a La Grosse Jaune. I have honed on it a few times and palm finished under running water. My results are not as stellar as I hoped, but I don't think its me. Any other tips or tricks to max out these stones?

Also, I see alot of these stones that look alot harder and older and way different than mine. Are there some veins or stones that I should be looking out for that are guaranteed capable of finishing?

View attachment 1119550
Does the stone build a visible slurry on its own if you are using its with water only?

I slurried to start, and the diluted. Once rinsed I don't remember a visible slurry. But I finished under running water.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I haven't been around for awhile, but does anyone recognize this stone?

proxy.php
Nice coticule bill

Guys, new to Coticules and veins, according to the mine I have a La Grosse Jaune. I have honed on it a few times and palm finished under running water. My results are not as stellar as I hoped, but I don't think its me. Any other tips or tricks to max out these stones?

Also, I see alot of these stones that look alot harder and older and way different than mine. Are there some veins or stones that I should be looking out for that are guaranteed capable of finishing?

View attachment 1119550
I find LGJ's slow and mine all finish best with lather after the water. For me: best with x strokes in the finishing stages. Go lighter and double the number of strokes you expect.

Make sure you have lapped that stone really flat.

Controversial: I don't use diamond plates, only wet n dry with mine on a glass lapping plate.

Thanks for the response! Starting and finishing grit? Though I have to find who sells silicone carbite in Greece.

Honestly I have lapped an ozuku 5+ and wasn’t even close that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's another vintage stone I received as a pair.
I believe, if memory serves, which it often doesn't anymore, that SRD marketed many of these stones in boxes like this. There is a stamp, but not totally legible anymore.
The coticule side has a leathery appearance with some brown spotting. similar to my La Grosse Blanche. I've never left this one in sunlight, so I cannot confirm that.
This one, a bit softer that it's mate back a page of two, but it's a pleasure to hone on, and produces a very keen edge. I won't know about smoothness until this afternoon's shave.
150x40mm.. Again, a perfect handheld size.
A very wavy transition, which adds to it's appeal..

proxy.php

proxy.php

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I haven't been around for awhile, but does anyone recognize this stone?

proxy.php
5DE6A86F-24CD-415B-80EB-03D7E0DC99EB.jpeg

Since you showed off your prized La Veinette I'll show off mine. I don't show it off very often, but it's one of, if not the best coticule I've ever used. Best I can remember it was mined in 2009 from Ol Preu. You can't tell from this picture but it has some really neat blushing on the surface.

Pike Fine. Just finished lapping. Strange surface, texture isn't different u der the finger but one half looks radically different than the other. Hopefully it isn't like my obnoxious experience with a ttc branded coticule that had a surface shift in such a way. View attachment 1123223View attachment 1123224View attachment 1123225View attachment 1123226View attachment 1123227View attachment 1123228View attachment 1123229View attachment 1123230View attachment 1123231

That is one beautiful stone!

Top Bottom