What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice. Those 6" Pike cotis are always good. I have a boxed super fine that will put a sick edge on a razor.

I am honing a torrey wedge on it right now. That one spot has a tiny bit more draw and cut. The other side feels like silk mostly. Moderate speed on slurry.

I don't think so because there is a similar smear in the bbw. I think it would walk a bit. I repeated my slurry dilution as I went straight to it from a 1k which I never really do with coticules and the first run it did a very respectable job for my not being used to it. 2nd run brought on a much more refined finish. Did 60 waxed linen 60 russian leather, 20 a slick strop with zero draw. It seems really sharp for a first go around with an unfamiliar coticule...

Last edited:
Picking up my first coticule (Ardennes bout 7 with matched slurry stone) this weekend from a guy that is dumping it because he "can't hone worth sh#t". My first venture into any form of natural stone. Time to do some (more) reading ...

La Dressante au Bleu. The second stone...
B6EF43B9-55B3-4E31-9AB7-58D06E5B93B9.jpeg

95373252-F773-4FB2-B510-99A6301C3DAE.jpeg

Picked this old stone up a few weeks back..

The thing I love most about coticules, is that there is hidden beauty even in the plain looking ones. After this was cleaned up, it showed off it's charms. Glued into a piece of mahogany..

proxy.php

I've officially joined the ranks.
IMG_20200711_120213-01.jpeg

About 4"x5". Snapped this picture and couldn't resist. Grabbed a razor that still needed bevel work and did a few laps just to see what "slurry" felt like and how adding water to dilute it changed things. Interesting... Swarf was produced and thinning the slurry felt more "fine" with reduced swarf production.

Now, on to YouTube to figure out what the heck I should actually be doing with this thing...

View attachment 1124425
About 4"x5". Snapped this picture and couldn't resist. Grabbed a razor that still needed bevel work and did a few laps just to see what "slurry" felt like and how adding water to dilute it changed things. Interesting... Swarf was produced and thinning the slurry felt more "fine" with reduced swarf production.

Now, on to YouTube to figure out what the heck I should actually be doing with this thing...
Looks awesome! And you pretty much got the gist of it. Make a slurry do some laps and add a drop of water. Repeat until plain water.

View attachment 1124425

Congratulations.. You picked up a beautiful stone!

Don't forget that you can also try different slurry stones to change things up a bit..

Lapped this today, incredibly hard and dense stone, on a similar level of hardness to a hard charnley. Had to lap with 240 plate and still took 40 mins.
Covered in what I thought to be deburring scratches, which to my surprise didn’t disappear with lapping.
Under the Swarf and dishing was this gem.
The single fastest coti I’ve ever used, with slurry it absolutely shreds steel. Would be no issue to remove 1k synth scratches..
Just tested my first razor with misty slurry and finished under running water. Treetopping arm hair like a champ, shave test tonight but this is going on the keeper shelf regardless.

6734990C-D6D6-4E4A-B0D9-E0834E083818.jpeg
7915DE43-D424-4D5C-80D2-93D088ADF4AB.jpeg
A5BCA020-94F8-4513-BBFC-139838F2224A.jpeg
1A5F6415-C112-494C-B758-CCC1E56FC8FB.jpeg

Lapped this today, incredibly hard and dense stone, on a similar level of hardness to a hard charnley. Had to lap with 240 plate and still took 40 mins.
Covered in what I thought to be deburring scratches, which to my surprise didn’t disappear with lapping.
Under the Swarf and dishing was this gem.
The single fastest coti I’ve ever used, with slurry it absolutely shreds steel. Would be no issue to remove 1k synth scratches..
Just tested my first razor with misty slurry and finished under running water. Treetopping arm hair like a champ, shave test tonight but this is going on the keeper shelf regardless.

View attachment 1128519View attachment 1128520View attachment 1128521View attachment 1128522

Let’s see the sides of that thing! It looks ancient.

A very good 8"x1.5" from Burton Rox, bought in Belgium in 1990. I tried to photograph the surface as precisely as possible. These dots and scratch-like texture says nothing about the fineness of a coticule. This is a very fine one, the dots are not big garnets or the like. I think it's a La Veinette. It has some blushing at one end, it has a hybrid layer at the bottom of the yellow side, is glued with Araldite and is medium hard at the top. A great razor finisher.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom