What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This one was nuts. Just because there is a hurricane, no reason to stop shopping. Stopped at a yard sale and asked for any stones and such. Was told nothing like that here but please look around. I did just that and found this strange shaped object. Asked the seller was this is. He told me, in a matter of fact way, that it is a carpenters angle finder. It’s made in Belgium, so it is well made and very accurate. Seller told me it’s missing the angle indicator so the price is only $3. My reply was that I have never seen a Belgium angle finder before but being that its missing a part I will offer $1. SOLD, another rock in the wall

Will put to use as a slurry stone. Too small to use as a Bout. Stamped Belgium on one side and a unreadable stamp on the other.

A1680B7E-6D84-40D0-96F9-904E46778496.jpeg
24724429-3AE6-4184-8641-DB707F37FF28.jpeg
FB2ADC8C-F641-4688-A284-8F8ADDE327D8.jpeg

Very cool little rubber. Makes me wonder its origin/purpose originally. Almost too big to be a rubbing stone unless maybe for one of those 10"+ Microtome hones?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Very cool little rubber. Makes me wonder its origin/purpose originally. Almost too big to be a rubbing stone unless maybe for one of those 10"+ Microtome hones?
I bet if it was lightly lapped with a fine Atoma or DMT it might give up whats printed we can't read.

It could possibly be a #1 Bout. It is approximately 14 cm2. Ardennes list a Bout 1 at 12-18 cm2. I also think it is a stand alone due to the double stamp. I am going to play with different lights and filters to try too get the bottom stamp to pop. If all fails. I will hit it gently with a 1200 plate. I do not want to be to aggressive in case the first two letters are a B and U

Last edited:
This one is ultra fine and very hard. It feels smooth like glass when honing and is a very good mirror polisher.
I am not sure what vein. It has some blue or green in it and in day- or sunlight a bit blush.
There is a bit wood grain pattern at one end, the rest of the stone is very homogeneous.
Since the black lines are more brown, I would guess a super hard La Verte? It has a larger chamfer and so the dark brown lines do not touch the blade. What I know, a company used it for finishing surgical instruments. It is backed with a black natural stone that is not a typical BBW.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one was nuts. Just because there is a hurricane, no reason to stop shopping. Stopped at a yard sale and asked for any stones and such. Was told nothing like that here but please look around. I did just that and found this strange shaped object. Asked the seller was this is. He told me, in a matter of fact way, that it is a carpenters angle finder. It’s made in Belgium, so it is well made and very accurate. Seller told me it’s missing the angle indicator so the price is only $3. My reply was that I have never seen a Belgium angle finder before but being that its missing a part I will offer $1. SOLD, another rock in the wall

Will put to use as a slurry stone. Too small to use as a Bout. Stamped Belgium on one side and a unreadable stamp on the other.

View attachment 1133978View attachment 1133979View attachment 1133980
Nice angle finder! Guess he only needed 4 angles.

I've had this La Dressante bout for a good many years. The bout itself is glued to slate, and the slurry stone, a natural combo. This is the first time I have revisited this stone in years. It needs a fair number of laps to finish, but well worth the effort. And, it's a beautiful stone.. as are all coticules.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've had this La Dressante bout for a good many years. The bout itself is glued to slate, and the slurry stone, a natural combo. This is the first time I have revisited this stone in years. It needs a fair number of laps to finish, but well worth the effort. And, it's a beautiful stone.. as are all coticules.

Nice, even the slurry stone. Are those from Regné or Ol'Preu?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Those old LD’s are sweet stones. I will bust out a few of mine when I get home and post some pictures.

Reactions: CCR

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here’s my Ol Preu group shot, not counting slurry stones.

Bottom left-I can't confirm it, but I think this one is a LGB. There's one in the vault that looks very similar to this one.
Bottom middle- a pink Dressante bout
Bottom right- an over-sized Dressante bout

Middle left- 6x2 La Veinette natural combo
Middle Right- 8x2 Les lat with slurry stone

Top left- 8x3 LPB brick.
Top middle- 6x2 LPB natural combo
Top right- A scorching fast pink Dressante

4D64106D-A33B-4945-892F-1047DB2010FB.jpeg

Top Bottom