What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Oh cool, thanks. It'd sell if it was a Nat Combo, but that much for a big Glued? Meh. Especially considering most of the interest is gonna be from shavers, and 4" wide is kinda pointless except for a few odd customs.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
This is what happens when you buy stones under the influence. You over pay for things that look like coticules...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 182
This is what happens when you buy stones under the influence. You over pay for things that look like coticules...

Haha been there myself. Once bought a medium-fine india combination stone thinking it was a coticule . In my defense it was really dirty and I had had maybe a few too many to drink.

Just from the looks I'd presume it's a synth coti.
What did it turn out to be?

Don't think I've ever been fooled by a coticule. I've gotten a couple that were dished to the point of uselessness (scooped out to BBW on one side), and I've been tricked into buying oilsoaked carbos a few times thinking they were shiny black arks (oil buildup + swarf + blurry pics), Thuri's of course got me a few times (they get everyone)... but coti's... not yet.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Yes it's a synthetic coti. It was a junk drawer listing and there was only one picture of the stone, and in that picture it looked right.

I received this one just the other day in great shape it looks like! It is about 60 x 115mm and I was told it is a La Verte. :)

Attachments

• $coti_recd.jpg
    $coti_recd.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 166
  • $coticule_pic1.jpg
    $coticule_pic1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I remember when you posted yours and Scott gave you the "good news and the bad news". Lol.

Yes, and it took me a while to figure it out too. Damn thing is pretty convincing. Even the smell is right. I still wonder if it is made from coti dust. I even dropped acid on the damn thing trying to figure it out and it passed. I think my acid was to weak.

dcaddo, sure looks like a coticule even as u post here...would've fooled me, too.
I suppose being gathered coticule dust it sort of remains a quasi-coticule, no? Same steel cutters?

i have one coti that look strange and it is a big one , with a thin black slate . Unfortunately is a soft stone and very fine . It gives very smooth edge .

BBW side is slow and overall a bit crap.. Coti side is very slow on slurry and water. Surface already started to mirror a bit after one german blade. It's so slow and fine, the only way I think I'd use it as a one stone hone from bevel is to slurry a very fast coti on it to try compensating out of the gate. I won't spit out a grit number, but it is finisher level fine. A wedge finished on this would be something.

I bought this last week to prove a point. A few members were making it out like I was slightly exaggerating when I said $40 could get you a great coticule vs whatever they were currently paying for the current modern flavor of the month ebay finishers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-EKS...TMLLCPP44vbB4DokY5i40%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$12 delivered to my door. Since this is a priority mail small flat rate, I am spotting the seller $6 here. $6 for a coticule and a set of scales I can repurpose on another razor as they are in really good nick. The stone was practically free... Open your eyes and you may end up with something way nicer than a fake 12k hone.

I'm too sick to be lapping anything today, but here is the surface after a sheet of 220. Hard coti, very beautiful swirling wavy surface with manganese

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I have been hunting one. I haven't found any deals just yet.

This is my first venture into any thing post 1k grit on a stone. I have only sharpened knives till now which is 1k then 2k and 3k paper then chromium oxide on a paddle. That gets sharp but not good enough for a shave so this is some next level stuff and I love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom