What's new

Comic Book Ads

I remember ordering what I thought was a book on magic tricks. It took months for it to arrive and during the waiting period I was preparing to be the next Houdini. The book finally came and it had no actual tricks. The book was an advertisement for magic tricks that you could then send away for. I threw the book away and years later found a flea market where you could buy magic tricks in person.
On the same scam line, my brother in law entered every contest that he could find. He never won anything, just ended up with a mailbox full of advertisements. My sister made the comment one time that they never ran out of paper to light the fireplace.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I remember ordering what I thought was a book on magic tricks. It took months for it to arrive and during the waiting period I was preparing to be the next Houdini. The book finally came and it had no actual tricks. The book was an advertisement for magic tricks that you could then send away for. I threw the book away and years later found a flea market where you could buy magic tricks in person.
On the same scam line, my brother in law entered every contest that he could find. He never won anything, just ended up with a mailbox full of advertisements. My sister made the comment one time that they never ran out of paper to light the fireplace.

Send $1.00 to find out how to make money by mail.

Response: "Take out an ad telling people they can make money by mail".

🤔 I remember getting a bag of live brine shrimp as a treat for tropical fish/tank. It ended well for the tropicals, if not the "Sea Monkeys."

AA

Now that you mention it, the sea monkeys that thrived were all from brine shrimp eggs we spawned for the tropical fish to enjoy. The favored (well, random) few got transferred to the little sea monkey jar with the magnifiers molded into it.

The brine shrimp eggs that came with the sea monkey kit never did squat. That well-conditioned aquarium water was probably the key to sea monkey success.

Sea Monkeys! At least I got to see some big 'uns 30 years after my first attempts.

Top Bottom