What's new

Comic Book Ads

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Radar O'Reilly wrote away for a few of things from the back of magazines. He signed up for a correspondence course that promised to make him a published author, and another time he sold shoes.

Legion

Staff member
There was no FedEx then... How many of these poor simians perished in the mail?

🤔 Worse, imagine the excited kid opening the box... that has been held up for a few weeks...

AA
It still happens. Google mystery box pets. Terrible, actually.

Sorry to bum out a fun thread....

How about those Sea Monkeys?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Radar O'Reilly wrote away for a few of things from the back of magazines. He signed up for a correspondence course that promised to make him a published author, and another time he sold shoes.
I saw that episode recently where he I was trying to become a writer.

I remember having a Captain Midnight/Ovaltine decoder ring as a kid. It was rather disapointing as I remember. I also remember choosing my cereal in the 1950s and early 60s by what free toy came in the box. Even before the decoder ring, I talked my mom into ordering a Winky Dink and You 12" piece of plastic to put over our (12" b&w) TV screen. "Now kids, take a yellow crayon and make a bridge by drawing a line from point A to point B, so Winky can escape." 1950's interactive TV. Loved it.

I also loved green army men, and those lame yellow, red and green dinosaurs I had has a kid. I'm in my mid 70s and still keep a set of 32 green army men for our great-grandson to play with when he visits. He uses them to fight the Papo dinosaurs I also have for him. I don't think mom really approves, but he enjoys himself and she knows better than to argue with her crazy grandparents.

So far, my action figure of a 1954 Godzilla is off limits to him. One day he'll be old enough to sit thru Gojira before he's worthy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, here's another...
proxy.php

🤔 You sent in a certificate to get the ants?

proxy.php

AA

Legion

Staff member
I had X-ray specs. Had a feather for a lens. Who came up with that?

And the ad where if you sold... seeds? I think it was seeds, you could earn points to buy a football, a bike, and heaps of other things.

Seamonkeys had the best illustration.

It WAS seeds. I wasn't sure I remembered that correctly.

90fb34d35aaec362e0faf07c4a07deb1.jpg

No but I did end up with Sea Monkeys. They sucked. 👎
I wanted that so badly. I can't even begin to tell you how badly. My Dad never gave in, though, even if I coughed up the four bucks.

I did get the x-ray specs and the sea monkeys. I actually enjoyed the sea monkeys!

Sea monkeys never grew at all for me in the 50s. Much later, my kids and I raised some awesome colonies together. Those tiny guys actually can grow pretty large.

It never ends well, though. At least there are fewer tears for sea monkeys than for guinea pigs.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sea monkeys never grew at all for me in the 50s. Much later, my kids and I raised some awesome colonies together. Those tiny guys actually can grow pretty large.

It never ends well, though. At least there are fewer tears for sea monkeys than for guinea pigs.

🤔 I remember getting a bag of live brine shrimp as a treat for tropical fish/tank. It ended well for the tropicals, if not the "Sea Monkeys."

AA

Top Bottom