What's new

Comic Book Ads

Oh, one item I remember getting is "How To Throw Your Voice," the ventriloquism book along with the free bird whistle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Jay Leno related once on the TONIGHT SHOW that he got a live monkey from the back of a Comic Book. It was hilarious. I wonder if that clip is on YouTube?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Can't find the $1 Mini Spy Camera ad though ...

AA

Yeah. Frankenstein was just printed on trash bag plastic, like a poster. 🧐 For truth in advertising, it WAS six feet tall, when unrolled and tacked to the wall.

AA
Yep, I fell for Frankenstein too. Was pretty disappointed with the white plastic trash bag monster. He did come with glow in the dark eyes though.
download.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, I was not thrilled about the "xray glasses" that had feathers for "lenses" lol! What a rip off! No playing superman for me. Or worse!

And sea monkeys disappointed. I really expected to see one sitting on an underwater throne after they hatched!

Yeah, I should have been held back several years in skool...

• Haha
Reactions: Lad

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Early in my advertising career I worked with a guy who used to write comic book ads. I asked him how he could make all those preposterous claims. His answer? "Simple. We lied."

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My friend Jimmy Sheedy really wanted the X-ray glasses, almost to the point of obsession. And there was no doubt why he wanted them... I remember an older kid, Brian Collins (who would later be killed in Vietnam) trying to reason with Sheedy. He said "Listen, Jim... if those X-ray glasses really worked, so that you could see what was under a girl's clothes, every guy in the country would be wearing them."

Top Bottom