What's new

Cold Brew Coffee - Any followers? How do you drink it?

If you're going by taste alone, I think cold brew taste really good.

I agree as it relates to iced coffee drinks.

I think temp is also related to the amount of acidity brought into solution so cold brews are less acidic. This less acidic coffee tastes (to me) much better at cold temps then hotter temps where the lack of acidity is pronounced.

I think cold brew produces the best tasting coffee for iced drinks.

I agree as it relates to iced coffee drinks.

I think temp is also related to the amount of acidity brought into solution so cold brews are less acidic. This less acidic coffee tastes (to me) much better at cold temps then hotter temps where the lack of acidity is pronounced.

I think cold brew produces the best tasting coffee for iced drinks.

Yeah, there's really something to this. Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy a hot-brewed iced coffee from time to time, but no matter how you do it, a cup that's balanced and smooth when hot tends to be bitter iced. I tend to find cold-brew a little less complex, however, so I stick to coffees with simpler flavor profiles. I love a good Brazil cold-brewed.

Interesting article describing how to Make a Starbucks Frappuccino for $0.32 (Sorry for posting link to same article, didn't see prior poster beforehand)
proxy.php

Last edited:
Started cold brewing coffee last week, and I'm really enjoying it. 3-4 tablespoons per cup of cool filtered water sitting in the press refrigerated 12-24 hours. Add a big dollop of condensed milk, some ice, and I'm a happy camper.

FWIW, I feel less of a caffeine buzz and don't get headaches from cold brewed coffee like I do with the same amount of hot coffee.

I've got some grounds started right now! Will attempt to make some iced coffee either tonight or tomorrow morning. We have a Bodum 4 cup french press and I added 2 new scoops to some wet used grounds (about 1.5 scoops) that were already in the press. Hoping to make some great iced coffee with some milk and condensed milk. Actually it's been sitting all day, might be ready now. Hmmmmm...

Alrighty! Verdict is, well it could have brewed a little longer, closer to 12 hours as opposed to 8.5/9. However it did produce a nice concentrated coffee that diluted with milk and sweetened condensed milk made a very nice, smooth iced coffee beverage! Will definitely be trying this again soon.

I'm a devout hot coffee drinker. BUT my wife, who doesn't normally drink coffee, likes those starbucks cold coffee drinks occassionally, may want to try some of the methods posted. Thanks guys!

I've been using the Toddy cold brew system for a couple of years now. Take 1 LB of coffee, add 9 cups of water and wait about 12+ hours.

I usually mix it 1/3 coffee concentrate, 1/3 cold h2o 1/3 soy milk over ice and add some simple syrup to taste. Delicious!

I have a Bodum French Press (1.5L) so I can make tons of it...I made some last night actually, but I wanted it this morning, so it only sat in the fridge for about 10hours vs 12 or more...I"m going to make some tonight when I get home, and give it 12-16 hours and see how it compares.

I had an espresso this morning, too, after my iced coffee...now I want an espresso machine at home...

As some people have already mentioned, I still prefer to use the double strength hot method, then dilute with ice. The cold brew system definitely works well and isn't bad tasting, but it just never seems to have the full taste that hot brewed coffee does, regardless of what you do to it.

This is why I do the hot brew at double strength, diluted to normal strength by brewing over an appropriate weight of pure ice. (the Japanese iced coffee method)

Full flavor profile... but cold. :)

I like to make an espresso and let it cool for a few minutes then pour it over ice and add whatever else it needs like sugar or milk.

Toddy set-up . . . Wegmans' 'city blend' . . . ~60/40 coffee to shaken lactoste-free milk (comes out frothy but without the fuss of frothing) with 1 or 2 packets of Stevia sweetner, depending on liquid volume. pour over ice and MMMMMMMM!!!

I have a Bodum French Press (1.5L) so I can make tons of it...I made some last night actually, but I wanted it this morning, so it only sat in the fridge for about 10hours vs 12 or more...I"m going to make some tonight when I get home, and give it 12-16 hours and see how it compares.

I had an espresso this morning, too, after my iced coffee...now I want an espresso machine at home...
Follow up to my previous post...

24 hours in the fridge is better. 8 scoops for a full batch. Over ice with a splash of heavy cream or half and half and splenda. Delicious.

As some people have already mentioned, I still prefer to use the double strength hot method, then dilute with ice. The cold brew system definitely works well and isn't bad tasting, but it just never seems to have the full taste that hot brewed coffee does, regardless of what you do to it.
Over the past few weekends with the weather so hot, I brewed my typical auto-drip and drank the first cup or two hot. Then finished the final cup over a tall glass of ice. I drank the cold coffee black but found it tasted stronger than when it was hot, even though it is more diluted. Surely the change in temperature must highlight different flavor components giving that sensation, but maybe its just psychological in that most iced coffee drinks I have ever tried contained milk and/or sugar which I was conditioned to expect?

I was curious if anyone drinks their normal hot brew coffee cold and black, and what were their thoughts on the flavor as compared to the same brew hot? I think I need to experiment with some different flavored cold coffee drinks to spice things up.

Top Bottom