What's new

"Liquid Coffee": Abomination or Revelation? You decide...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Throw in okra, zucchini, oysters and clams and it's a home run!

Crispy fried okra, or okra used to thicken gumbo or jambalaya is fine, I eat fried okra a lot when I can get it. I’m not that hot on pickled okra.

Zucchini, meh. But if you fry cardboard in butter, salt, and bacon fat you’ll love it. And zucchini.

Oysters, I’m all in, in principle, though I tend to avoid raw ones, but with HOT horseradish seafood sauce, yum. Oysters Rockefeller, bring ‘em on.

Clams, meh, but good ones in good bouillabaisse, oh yeah.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Try fried okra @Alum Ladd - cut the pods into about 1/2‘ sections, roll it in cornmeal, and pan or deep fry.

BTW, okra needs to be harvested young, if it gets old and big, it gets rubbery and tough. Look for pods 4” or less. Maybe bigger ones are still OK to thicken soups and stews, but chewy fried okra is not my fave.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef

Hold on a sec. I'm thinking he may have relished such a delicacy pre covid even.

Love you Louisiana folks but could never figure out why you'd make coffee out of greens. Ya all do more stuff to eat and drink better than most, but that's just weird. Also, a beignet is just a 🍩. Yeah, I said it. I'll take my lumps now.

It is good for cooking and baking.

So @Chef455 , let me challenge you. Go to Cafe du Monde in NOLA in the morning, have beignets with their chicory coffee, then stay for a muffuletta for lunch. Report back if you are unhappy with the experience. BTW, I have done this long ago.

@Steve56 , I love New Orleans. I have been fortunate to visit on several occasions. And,yes, I have had nuns farts with chicory coffee at Cafe du Monde.

As you can see from my post above, not my thing. That being said I was certainly not unhappy with the experience. I truly appreciate any restaurant over a century and a half old, they must be doing something right (just not my cup of tea). Also, if one is unhappy in the Big Easy and nothing is amiss they're doing it wrong.

As to the muffuletta, I believe you're referring to Central Grocery & Deli a little further down Decatur. Absolutely, worth the line and I cannot imagine a trip without a visit.

NOLA is a food lovers paradise. Dookey Chase's to The Turkey and the Wolf and everywhere in between. Gumbo, fried chicken, BBQ, shrimp and grits, oysters, Po' Boys, jambalaya, yakamein, red beans and rice, soufflé potatoes, I could go on forever. It isn't all healthy, but it's damn good.

And I was just talking about the food. Don't get me started on everything else New Orleans has to offer.

Cafe du Monde is a treasure, just not one that I covet.

Finally, in an attempt not to derail this thread any further, try adding some coffee concentrate to your favorite chile recipe, beef marinade, bbq sauce or mole. Sans chicory. Report back to me if you're unhappy with the results.

I don’t like any of the cold press commercial offings I’ve tried. I might make more this summer when it hots up. I won’t be buying “Liquid Coffee” though.

Coffee in chili huh… I’m not cutting the beer. It’ll just have to reduce longer I guess

I have some cat litter aka Instant around for emergencies but the „liquid concentrate“ marketing blurb really sounds ridiculous.

On substitutes/non-caffeine alternatives:

German speaking countries have quite a variety that is still available today even though they date back to the war times as in the UK.

Oak nuts (not available anymore)
Roasted Barley, Rye, Wheat
Chicory
Figs
some or the other roots.

Linde, Caro, Kathreiner all use one or a mixture of the above.

While I’m not a fan of them they are not worse than most Instant coffees.

Lately I have tried some Korean roasted Barley tea as a sugar free ice tea alternative and it works well.

linty1

My wallet cries.
In addition it kinda reminds me of chocolate milk you make by squeezing the syrup out of the squeeze bottles... it's... really neither chocolate nor milk, but some ppl enjoy it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wouldn't getting water, dosing out concentrate and water in a 1:1 ratio be more time consuming that a pod?
Yes indeed, if you're looking at hot coffee.
I suppose it could be quicker if you're making an iced coffee and just add it to a glass of cold ice water.
But we're talking about a gain of less than a minute, so...
Odd what some folks consider important.

Lots of buzzwords in that article to promote a "new" coffee that we have all called cold brew concentrate for the last 15+ years...
When I was a waiter in 1980, our restaurant introduced a coffee concentrate machine. You put in this big bag of coffee goo and the machine would mix it with hot water while it dispensed in your carafe for the table. It tasted better and was dramatically faster than the percolator they were using. Being from a small midwestern town I can assure you this would have been on one of the coasts for at least 5 years before we started using it. So that means this idea is about half a century old already.

It is good for cooking and baking.

So @Chef455 , let me challenge you. Go to Cafe du Monde in NOLA in the morning, have beignets with their chicory coffee, then stay for a muffuletta for lunch. Report back if you are unhappy with the experience. BTW, I have done this long ago.
You mean, like this?

IMG_1426.jpeg

Top Bottom