What's new

"Liquid Coffee": Abomination or Revelation? You decide...

Really - "liquid coffee" in the title? I mean, what kind of lazy writing is that? Would it be so hard to write "coffee concentrate" or "concentrated coffee" or "java juice" something a bit more clever? Anyway...

“She said, ‘Well, there’s no way I could wait for the K-Cup to finish brewing. That way takes way too long. I need something faster than that,’” Stanziano recalled.

There were also young people who felt intimidated by the whole at-home coffee making experience, he said. Some Gen Zers don’t know how to brew coffee. Others might not be interested in making the investment in the equipment.

Liquid coffee concentrate under the Dunkin’ brand. The product will be in 31-ounce shelf-stable bottles, which will be on shelves next to coffee beans, grounds, K-Cups and mixes at the grocery store. Consumers will purchase it and dilute it with whatever they want — hot or cold water, dairy products, ice. A regular strength brew can be achieved with liquid at a 1-to-1 ratio.

I understand this as a product to entice people who are impatient or intimidated; to each their own. I'm just counting down to the inevitable "TikTok Challenge" that has kids chugging a full container of the stuff and getting horribly sick...

What say you? :cuppa:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
“She said, ‘Well, there’s no way I could wait for the K-Cup to finish brewing. That way takes way too long. I need something faster than that,’” Stanziano recalled.
This just stuns me.
30 seconds is too long to wait for a cup of coffee?
What the heck has happened to our society?
I'm going to make a microwave oven that cooks for 60 seconds in 10 seconds.

Lots of buzzwords in that article to promote a "new" coffee that we have all called cold brew concentrate for the last 15+ years...
Agreed. It's about presenting something existing to a new market and packaging it in an appealing way.

And I was really surprised to see that Bustelo is owned by Smucker!

This just stuns me.
30 seconds is too long to wait for a cup of coffee?
What the heck has happened to our society?
I'm going to make a microwave oven that cooks for 60 seconds in 10 seconds.
I was floored when I read that statement. How much easier (and quicker) could it be to make a cup of coffee? I literally laughed out loud in my office.

If you're going to make a hot cup of joe with this "liquid coffee", it's certainly going to take longer than a Kuerig brew...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Agreed. It's about presenting something existing to a new market and packaging it in an appealing way.

And I was really surprised to see that Bustelo is owned by Smucker!

I was floored when I read that statement. How much easier (and quicker) could it be to make a cup of coffee? I literally laughed out loud in my office.

If you're going to make a hot cup of joe with this "liquid coffee", it's certainly going to take longer than a Kuerig brew...
I guess she could get a cup of hot water from her Kuerig! :lol1:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They had this stuff in England in WWII. My dad was longing for some coffee, not tea, and while on leave, asked a bartender/proprietor if he had any coffee. ‘Sure mate.’ He opened a small bottle and poured a little concentrated liquid into a cup and added hot water. Dad said that was the worst cup of coffee he ever had. I think that he stuck with tea for the duration.

The idea is not new.

They had this stuff in England in WWII. My dad was longing for some coffee, not tea, and while on leave, asked a bartender/proprietor if he had any coffee. ‘Sure mate.’ He opened a small bottle and poured a little concentrated liquid into a cup and added hot water. Dad said that was the worst cup of coffee he ever had. I think that he stuck with tea for the duration.

The idea is not new.
Oh yes, I think that would have been "Camp" brand coffee essence, in the glass bottle.

I recall it was consumed by my parents in the 1960's when money was short and they couldn't afford Nescafe.

I still remember the label!
BBC - A History of the World - Object : Original 'Camp Coffee' label - https://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/XG1CiGSCTzqb05nDwIhhjg

Last edited:

Steve56

Oh yes, I think that would have been "Camp" brand coffee essence, in the glass bottle.

I recall it was consumed by my parents in the 1960's when money was short and they couldn't afford Nescafe.

I still remember the label!
BBC - A History of the World - Object : Original 'Camp Coffee' label - https://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/XG1CiGSCTzqb05nDwIhhjg

Yes sir. Coffee with chicory isn’t new, it’s still made, Luzianne and Cafe du Monde both sell it I think. Putting chicory in coffee was a way to make it cheaper, but done right, like in New Orleans, it’s something that you could acquire a taste for, but it isn’t ‘prime beef’ so to say.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Chicory in coffee.
puke GIF

Steve56

Chicory in coffee.
puke GIF

I tend to agree Phil, but if you were really poor it was an option, and it has a place even today, though it is different. As Emeril Lagasse ( I believe) said, ‘All the world’s great cuisines were born out of poverty.’ It was probably a poor man, not a brave one, that first ate an oyster. It was also said that when the country people in Appalachia butchered a hog, the only thing that went to waste was the ‘oink’.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tend to agree Phil, but if you were really poor it was an option, and it has a place even today, though it is different. As Emeril Lagasse ( I believe) said, ‘All the world’s great cuisines were born out of poverty.’ It was probably a poor man, not a brave one, that first ate an oyster. It was also said that when the country people in Appalachia butchered a hog, the only thing that went to waste was the ‘oink’.
I get that for sure. Another alternative was making a "tea" with scorched, almost burned dry white rice.

Steve56

It's good for cooking and baking...

Also, chicory coffee is plain nasty.

It is good for cooking and baking.

So @Chef455 , let me challenge you. Go to Cafe du Monde in NOLA in the morning, have beignets with their chicory coffee, then stay for a muffuletta for lunch. Report back if you are unhappy with the experience. BTW, I have done this long ago.

Top Bottom