What's new

Do you like variety in your coffee or tea?

Or stick with one brand/roast profile?

The majority of time my tea will be black and pretty similar in leaf. Assam or a "breakfast" type blend. Hot or iced, it doesn't really change much.

My coffee usually runs between a medium and dark roast, so I do like variety there, depending on my mood and how I feel like brewing it. I don't think I've ever had a light roast coffee. I'm not a fan of "citrus notes" or acidity, so tend to stay away from things like that.

So, what do you guys do? Buy something different each week or two or find what you like and stick with it?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I tend to find one brand and type of coffee and stick with it. I switched to French Press a few months ago now and have stuck with that too.

I was using Fresh Market Jamaican Blue Mountain blend beans but something changed there. I tried a few things but settled on Don Pablo Signature blend and have been using that for months now.

I'm a bit boring when it comes to coffee.

I have been trying different coffees to see what I like, but I think I have settled on two blends offered by my local roaster. One is Medium (house blend) and the other is Medium-Dark (Mokka Java). I'm still coffee-curious, so I'll continue to try other coffees, but at least I know that I have two consistent staples to enjoy.

I typically buy from the same roaster to but different origins and/or blends. I like different acidity depending on the type of coffee I want. For example, for a short espresso I will use a different bean/blend to a milk based caffe machiato or caffe latte, or even an Americano style.

If I'm trying a new coffee shop or on holiday, I will usually buy an espresso to sample before deciding what coffee I will get on future visits.

With tea, I'm not particular at all. I can tell the difference between Irish breakfast and Earl grey, but that's about it.

They say that variety is the spice of life and I agree wholeheartedly.

I do tend to like medium roast coffee as I find dark roast has a charcoal taste and light roasts do not bring out the full flavor of the beans.

Currently, we make our coffee in a Keurig as my wife has less sensitive taste buds than I do, so that allows her to use different blends and different brew strength. We tend to keep about 8 different blends of coffee on hand. I rarely use the same blend two days in a row.

I do love coffee from various areas such as Hawaii, Columbia, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Ethopia, Tanzania, Kenya, and Indonesia. However, I rarely have an opportunity to enjoy them.

Likewise, I enjoy a variety of loose leaf teas. Again, I enjoy a variety. I drink a lot of iced tea made from orange pekoe and cut black teas. I like green teas from Japan, China, and India. I like oolong teas from Taiwan and China. I like black teas from China, India, and Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon). I even like the less well known white and yellow teas. The one tea that I have not developed a taste for is fermented teas such as puerh. In general, I do not like flavored teas. However, there are a few exceptions: teas flavored with osmanthus or jasmine flowers and Earl Grey black tea flavored with bergamot. I drink my tea without sugar or milk.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always get the same coffee from a local roaster (Chris Coffee Northwest Dark). For quite a while we ate at a local restaurant and raved about their coffee. Then we had an ah-ha moment (duh!) and asked what it was - thus the Northwest Dark. We've tried most of their offerings and this is our decided favorite and the only one we buy.

Tea, on the other hand, is something I like with a bit of variety. I do have a favorite tea (Libra from Adagio.com), but every few days I sneak in something different.

I like different teas at different times of the day. A strong breakfast tea in the morning, something gentler, like a Darjeeling in the afternoon. Oolong with Asian food. I make an iced herbal tea from hibiscus and rose hips. Mild herbal teas at night so I can sleep easily.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I mostly use Lavazza beans from my local supermarket although I do try others if I see a bargain. To add variety I mix up using my De'Longhi Dedica, Bialetti Kitty, and a Bodum Chambord French press.
I use a Bodum French Press as well... but one of the less expensive ones by a dollar or so. We have two of them... one in red for my wife and a black one for me. https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-French-Press-Coffee/dp/B000KEM4TQ/

I did end up getting a stainless steel one for travel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGBK6XV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I do like the one liter French Presses.

With coffee, not so much. I drink a cup of medium roast smooth coffee (typically Kona) American style every morning. Occasionally I'll drink a cappuccino with dinner out. With tea, yes a lot more variety. Everything ftom jasmine tea in a bobba drink, to white tea if I'm thinking of antioxidents, to chai on a winter evening, earl grey in the afternoon, English style (I know you're not supposed to add milk to EG) etc etc.

linty1

My wallet cries.
With coffee I don't stick with a particular bean/roaster, I'll try to buy them straight from a roaster when I can, but I like coffee of all roasts/beans. I'll only note it mentally if I didn't like it, and will avoid in the future. As for tea, I like jasmine tea the most so I stick with that, still trying to find a particular vendor I like, once that happens I'll prob just stick to that one.

Top Bottom