What's new

Coffee Grinders?

I ground 30.4g in the Kingrinder K6 this afternoon in 46 seconds. It was a finer grind than the one this morning, but similar rotation speed yielded more ground grams per second (GGPS), a term I just made up.

At lower weight, it hardly matters. I still wanted to post this for my own records, because I've never done this kind of comparison.

I bought this years ago, forgot about it and never used it. Have no idea of how good it is, this thread prompted me to find it.
image.jpg

Legion

Staff member
How long does it normally take to grind enough for say a 6 cup moka pot with a hand grinder? I've been using that Tiamo I posted in post #41, and it works well, but it seem like it takes about five minutes to grind the beans. Is that normal? It seems like a lot of effort, first thing in the morning.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to time the two grinds I take to get 40 grams of semi-coarse grinds.... It has to be less than a minute a piece.... I have a cheap grinder.. one of those $25 or less ones... and it seemed like it took forever to grind up enough for a 12 cup pot. I'll time it tomorrow morning.

My French Press is 34 ounces. The round handle knob is also much easier to hold for me.... It fits in the palm of my hand like a golf ball.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did time the time I spent loading and grinding two loads in my KINGrinder K-1 this morning... including filling it up those two times and grinding: 3 minutes. I wasn't trying for speed either.... just a relaxed pace.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
How long does it normally take to grind enough for say a 6 cup moka pot with a hand grinder? I've been using that Tiamo I posted in post #41, and it works well, but it seem like it takes about five minutes to grind the beans. Is that normal? It seems like a lot of effort, first thing in the morning.

If your Tiamo is the same as its twin, my Skerton takes about 2 minutes to grind a half load of 40 g for me (coarser grind though)

I started with a used Baratza Encore that I upgraded to a Virtuoso burr set. It was perfectly fine (pun intended) for years for pour over and immersion brewing (Clever Dripper).

Then my partner gifted me a Vario+ and the reduction in fines and improvement in adjustment range is dramatic. Granted, it's nearly 4x as expensive as the Encore, but it covers the grind range from Turkish to French Press. I also changed out the stock ceramic burrs - which are good for espresso grinding, to the steel set since I do non-espresso brewing. It's been fantastic, love Baratza's support and encouragement for end-user repair.

I get my beans from Trade and mostly light to medium roasts. I also get Cometeer for when I travel or need a quick pick-me-up for specialty coffee that only needs hot water. It's excellent!

I hand grind, just for me. 21 grams (about 3/4 oz) each time.

Hand grinding is great if it is only for one or two people. Gets a bit tedious to do more than that every time.

Does depend a bit on the grinder. Some are monsters that chew through beans easily. Usually the expensive ones though.

But you do get excellent bang for buck with hand grinders on the grind quality compared to powered grinders with all their extra costs.

Top Bottom