What's new

Coffee Grinders?

Looking for a new/better coffee grinder than the one I have now(Black and Decker piece of crap). Can I get anything worthwhile in the $35 range?

$35 is a pretty low price point for a decent grinder. I don't think you can get an electric one for that that isn't, sadly, about the same level of crappiness as your current one.

If you are only using it for drip and/or french/aero press, then you could do nicely with something like a Solis Maestro, which run in the $100 range.

If you want espresso, then usually people say $200 is a decent minimum. There are several models that are good at this price point, though I can't think of them all now--go to Coffeegeek.com and root around. You'll be given more information than you could possibly imagine.

If you're willing to try a hand grinder, there are ones which give a very good grind (some folks swear by theirs even for espresso). Zassenhaus is the classic German brand and usually considered the best, though they had a few years recently where their quality slipped.

Armin Trosser is another good hand model. For your price though, you're talking used and probably vintage, so the odds of a bad or worn out one go up.

$35 to $50 or so might get you by for drip or press, I can't vouch for vacuum brewers. Just what are you looking for?

Wayne

For that sort of money, I would do nothing.
You will just be buying the same thing you have.

Maybe spend a little more, around the $100 and get a second hand Gaggia MDF, a little noise, but soild, reliable, and will last you forever.

A little more than that, maybe $200 will get you a second hand Rocky, and a little more, will get you a Mini Mazzer.

I have a Mazzer, and can tell you, it's not cheap, but it makes coffee making so easy, and is a joy to look at and use.

You can get a second hand one without any worries, because they are commerical grade, and bullet proof!

I am thinking of upgrading my commerical single group machine, but the Mazzer will be with me forever..................uless I get a bad case of GAD (the grinder version of RAD), and want a chrome plated or black one!

Have a look at Coffeegeek.com, they have a Buy/Sell forum which has great stuff..........I never buy from there because I am in Australia, and we have 240 Volts, compared to your 120Volts, so I buy from Europe directly.

Cheers

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have this one from Capresso. If it's a piece of crap, it has been a pretty darn good piece of crap for the last 3-4 years. I can't remember how much we spent, but I believe it was more than the $39 it is selling for now.

The plastic hopper cracked but it still holds the beans and it would take a lot of convincing to get me to spend any more than this on a grinder.

I was looking for a grinder for a pour over Mellita. I read the reveiws at Coffee Geek and Sweet Maria's and finally decided to give the Zassenhaus manual grinder a shot. For my needs it filled the bill and it isn't $400.00. The only question was would I feel like hand grinding a pot of coffee every morning. Happy to say that it has worked out swell for me. Good coffee and it is not a hassle. I found mine on ebay for $40.00 shipped.

Cuisinart DBM-8

I think it was a little more, $45 if memory serves. Have seen them on sale for $40.

Had mine for about 1.5 years. A burr grinder that can adjust down to espresso or up to a very coarse grind. It is a bit noisy, but does a great job. Hopper holds 1/2 lb of beans so you don’t have to fill it every time.
Here are some reviews.

http://www.epinions.com/Cuisinart_Supreme_Grind_DBM_8_Electric_Burr_Grinder

Stay away from Melita burr grinder. Discharge hole too small and you have to unplug it sometimes every grind.

Regards
Mike

Hmmmm...well thanks for the ideas gents. I wish I could spend more but it's just not in the budget.

I finally found a french press that appeals to me so that kind of spurred the coffee grinder question. However, all the presses recommend coarsely ground coffee. Now, am I correct in assuming most blade grinders(like the one I own) grind the coffee too fine? That just seems counter intuitive to me for some reason.

Hmmmm...well thanks for the ideas gents. I wish I could spend more but it's just not in the budget.

I finally found a french press that appeals to me so that kind of spurred the coffee grinder question. However, all the presses recommend coarsely ground coffee. Now, am I correct in assuming most blade grinders(like the one I own) grind the coffee too fine? That just seems counter intuitive to me for some reason.

My understanding is that a blade grinder is inconsistent. The Zassenhaus manual grinder is adjustable and will meet your needs if you don't mind using a bit of elbow grease.:smile: You can read about them at Sweet Maria's dot com.

Ok...you got it out of me...my wife and I own a drive thru espresso shop in Texas. Once I get back I am retiring and have already purchased a mobile van and will sell espresso based drinks all around the base where I am stationed, as well as the local community...on to your question...can a cheap grinder be had...yes but remember you get what you pay for...if you go to my video on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkWs5IE0fg you will see that I am using a 35 dollar grinder and getting OK results...I had to shim the burrs to bring them closer together in order to get the grind necessary to pull a decent shot...hope this helps

I have this one from Capresso. If it's a piece of crap, it has been a pretty darn good piece of crap for the last 3-4 years. I can't remember how much we spent, but I believe it was more than the $39 it is selling for now.

The plastic hopper cracked but it still holds the beans and it would take a lot of convincing to get me to spend any more than this on a grinder.

This is the grinder featured in my video...I do not know what retail is, I was able to purchase mine at wholesale...as you can see it works great for the price...

This is the grinder featured in my video...I do not know what retail is, I was able to purchase mine at wholesale...as you can see it works great for the price...

Tilden-
is that you in the vid? If so, good work. I am glad to see that you guys have at least a little downtime to enjoy yourselves. I did wonder though, what makes a hot drink like espresso seem like a good idea in the desert?:wink2:

Melita makes a bur grinder that's in your price range. I've used it for both a French press (course) and Melita #2 manual (fine) and the grind is pretty consistent.

I got it from the kitchen store in the Pocono outlet complex in Tannersville, PA. but I did find a online seller -

here

My understanding is that a blade grinder is inconsistent. The Zassenhaus manual grinder is adjustable and will meet your needs if you don't mind using a bit of elbow grease.:smile: You can read about them at Sweet Maria's dot com.

+1 on Zassenhaus.

There are many fairly inexpensive burr grinders like the Capresso mentioned earlier. Just make sure you stay away from blade grinders (whirly-birds).

Opinions vary on this one. I have a Braun burr style grinder that I have used since 1989, and have been quite happy with it; even for espresso. The day I pay $200.00 + for a coffee grinder is the day before I open a coffee shop.
Ken
Ambassador of reasonable spending.

Tilden - thanks for the video. I enjoyed watching that. I wish you the best over there and it looks like you are making the best of it.

My parents have used a Zassenhaus for cracking black peppercorns for decades, it seems. If you think about it, an electric mill is nothing else than a manual mill where the handle has been replaced with a motor. The milling mechanism is what counts most, not so much what drives it. Because you are using a French press, a manual machine would serve you well. The better ones can allegedly even be used for making Espresso or Turkish coffee. Going manual will probably safe you some money. Such a mill likely will never fail, unless you yourself run out of juice :smile:

Best - MM

Tilden-
is that you in the vid? If so, good work. I am glad to see that you guys have at least a little downtime to enjoy yourselves. I did wonder though, what makes a hot drink like espresso seem like a good idea in the desert?:wink2:

Yes that would be me in the Vid...as far as coffee in the desert goes... there is never a bad time for a hot, iced, or slightly cooled cup of java...you would be surprised at the amount of coffee that is consumed in my office alone on a daily basis...want to see motivation drop? deny a soldier his "cup o' joe" and see what happens:biggrin:

I've had a hand cranked Zassenhaus for nearly 30 years. I still use it when traveling. It still grinds coffee beans into consistent sized particles, every bit as well as the $2000 Mahlkonig I chanced upon when a friend went out of the coffee business. I've never even heard of a cheap electric that could grind coffee with out leaving large coarse chunks along with fine powder.

Top Bottom