What's new

Cleaning a tarnished gold razor?

What are some safe polishes or products to use on gold plating to get rid of the green spots?

Its not bad but wont come out with soap and water or rubbing alcohol.

Btw whats the deal with Ebayers leaving the damn blue blades in the razors FFS???

If you have green spots on your razor, then you have brass showing through the plating. Gold doesn't tarnish or turn green but brass does. If it is just one or two small spots, I would suggest taking a little care and use as small an area of polish on a cloth as possible, perhaps wraped over a pencil eraser, and try to just clean off the corrosion but don't attempt to polish the whole razor. I have to suspect that a good deal of the protective lacquer is already worn off of the gold plating, so any polishing would likely remove a good deal of the plating that is still intact.

Regards,
Tom

The green gunk is in between the hinges, so you're probably right about the brassing, god knows how long ago the thing was used.

If you have green spots on your razor, then you have brass showing through the plating. Gold doesn't tarnish or turn green but brass does. If it is just one or two small spots, I would suggest taking a little care and use as small an area of polish on a cloth as possible, perhaps wraped over a pencil eraser, and try to just clean off the corrosion but don't attempt to polish the whole razor. I have to suspect that a good deal of the protective lacquer is already worn off of the gold plating, so any polishing would likely remove a good deal of the plating that is still intact.

Regards,
Tom

+1

You could also try toothpaste for your gold plated razors.

*Disclaimer...I use this on a razor that wasn't pretty when I got it!!! Plate loss etc..*
I use scrubbing bubbles on my daily shaver....I've had the razor for 10 years or more...It was black when I found it at a garage sale...I didn't even know it was gold plate until I cleaned it....I don't even remember what I used back then to clean it up....but aside from the plate loss on the doors, the scrubbing bubbles haven't affected the handle and other areas that still have plating...in fact the handle still looks really good!....I'm wondering if anyone else has used SB on gold plate??

*Disclaimer...I use this on a razor that wasn't pretty when I got it!!! Plate loss etc..*
I use scrubbing bubbles on my daily shaver....I've had the razor for 10 years or more...It was black when I found it at a garage sale...I didn't even know it was gold plate until I cleaned it....I don't even remember what I used back then to clean it up....but aside from the plate loss on the doors, the scrubbing bubbles haven't affected the handle and other areas that still have plating...in fact the handle still looks really good!....I'm wondering if anyone else has used SB on gold plate??

No, but I did try toothpaste like Harry suggested and not only did it get the tarnish problems out, it shined the hell out of it too:lol:

I use scrubbing bubbles on my daily shaver....I've had the razor for 10 years or more...It was black when I found it at a garage sale...I didn't even know it was gold plate until I cleaned it....I don't even remember what I used back then to clean it up....but aside from the plate loss on the doors, the scrubbing bubbles haven't affected the handle and other areas that still have plating...in fact the handle still looks really good!

Not yet, but have you seen any problems with brassing and scrubbing bubbles? I asked about that in another thread - the manufacturer seems to recommend against it.

I have. The scrubbing bubbles won't affect gold plate. It might have some affect on any lacquer/polyurethane coating over the gold plate. That coating would already be gone on areas of corrosion.

No, but I did try toothpaste like Harry suggested and not only did it get the tarnish problems out, it shined the hell out of it too:lol:

I would use it sparingly and not too often. Toothpaste contains abrasives that can wear the gold plate. It's ok on nickel, but gold, silver, brass and copper are relatively soft.

Sure when I have time, my girl is on her way over and she gets mad if I play with my razors and not her :closedeye

Bah. You have it easy. Wait until you live in the same house together 24/7.

- Peter

I would use it sparingly and not too often. Toothpaste contains abrasives that can wear the gold plate. It's ok on nickel, but gold, silver, brass and copper are relatively soft.

Bah. You have it easy. Wait until you live in the same house together 24/7.

- Peter

Don't worry I don't clean my gear often anymore I just received the Milord and wanted to make sure I got the tarnish out.

I highly doubt we will be in the same house together 24/7 anytime soon, shes 19, college freshman and works full time
:lol:

Here are some after photos of the spots that cleared right up, I did go McGyver though, I used a needle to get in the gaps.

Also those water spots are just from it drying, got to love AZ hard water :thumbdown

Top Bottom