What's new

Chiseled Face Legacy Razor

I am now two shaves in with the aluminum version of the Chiseled Face Legacy razor. It is very well made and feels great in the hand. I have the pineapple handle, which fits my hand very well.

Seeing the recommendations to shave shallow on the Chiseled Face site and here, that's what I did. It worked quite well. The steeper I went the more bladefeel I got, so kept it shallow. I am not sure why, but the razor inspired confidence. I was careful, but didn't hold back. I did my normal 3-pass shave. In some places I went right to XTG or even ATG, like I do with razors I know better. I ended up with a good shave both times, approaching an 8/10 on my rather tough rating scale:
10 = 100% smooth everywhere ATG​
9 = smooth ATG 2/3 of area, XTG on the rest​
8 = smooth ATG 1/2 of area, XTG on the rest​
7 = smooth ATG 1/3 of area, XTG on the rest​
5 = smooth XTG everywhere​

I need to learn more about this razor and tune it in more. I could do better on my tougher spots and my jawline. I did not get any irritation and not even any feedback from alcohol/astringent, so that is a big plus.

This razor is a bit different than most of my others. However, I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps it is the shallowness of the blade approach? The blade seems to be held rigid enough, I didn't sense any chatter. It is loud though. I'll keep at it to learn more.

Last edited:
Maybe I am wrong but honestly how many Razor does one need?N If they are built well, they could last long time. Personally I think the market for high end over $250.00 Double Blade Razor is saturated.

This Razor in CASE made of Block of Aluminum is unique, but is it practical. There was a post recently about a Line of Razor that were super good, Charcoal Goods, but apparently the guy making em folded up shop, and no one b ought the right to continue building.

Maybe I am wrong but honestly how many Razor does one need?N If they are built well, they could last long time. Personally I think the market for high end over $250.00 Double Blade Razor is saturated.

This Razor in CASE made of Block of Aluminum is unique, but is it practical. There was a post recently about a Line of Razor that were super good, Charcoal Goods, but apparently the guy making em folded up shop, and no one b ought the right to continue building.
Technically, you only need one. But the mayme you want to make sure that the one you settle on is one that you really like. Or maybe you have a hankering for change, and don't want to use the same razor every shave.

I have been through a ton of razors and are currently in the purging phase. I can't imagine that I will ever go down to one, but I guess anything is possible. Right now the Legacy is on the short list of razors that I would me happy to have made into my only razor, if such a time ever comes.

Technically, you only need one. But the mayme you want to make sure that the one you settle on is one that you really like. Or maybe you have a hankering for change, and don't want to use the same razor every shave.

I have been through a ton of razors and are currently in the purging phase. I can't imagine that I will ever go down to one, but I guess anything is possible. Right now the Legacy is on the short list of razors that I would me happy to have made into my only razor, if such a time ever comes.

Well 1, plus back up could be perfection in some people world.

Today one problem is too many choice to choose from.

To find Grail, if such item exists.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I like the Herringbone handle. The head is shallow shaving and not among my favorites. Haven't seen the handles being sold separately, but maybe they do now.

I like the Herringbone handle. The head is shallow shaving and not among my favorites. Haven't seen the handles being sold separately, but maybe they do now.

Looks like they have handles for sale separately on their site

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thank you, I noticed the price goes up after Pineapple Twist and Herringbone, the others are 150 instead of 100 for the first two. The "Imperial" is on my list, no idea how the "Birdcage" design looks.

Reactions: Kix
Another shave report - a solid 8 on the hard grading scheme listed above.

This razor has potential for me. I need to fine tune the angle some more. Very shallow makes for less blade feel and a smooth shave with zero feedback, which is great! But it might not be absolutely close everywhere. I either need to keep that perfect shallow angle for all areas (no easy feat for me!) or perhaps I need to tip in just a little bit to engage the blade more. You do not want to add pressure or go steep with this razor, imho.

Most of us would appreciate that this razor has a nice range where it goes from mild to more aggressive fairly smoothly based on angle change. Some razors don't do that.

Other things... I do really like the pineapple handle. I didn't know if I would, but the shape feels great in the hand. The knurling is not sharp, yet it is easy to hold onto. The waist helps a lot and is in a good position. The large gap and wide lather channel in the baseplate means this doesn't clog and rinses easily.

Thank you, I noticed the price goes up after Pineapple Twist and Herringbone, the others are 150 instead of 100 for the first two. The "Imperial" is on my list, no idea how the "Birdcage" design looks.
This is the ‘birdcage’ handle. I think it looks great and unique. Only available in polished brass. It reduces the handle weight to 90g which, with the 30g brass head, should give the 2:1 weight ratio that gives the balance I tend to like.

6EFCFC09-E5EA-4C06-A93C-E8129CA010E0.jpeg

30A74702-09DE-4E97-BF52-B9F47D1CED6B.jpeg

This is the ‘birdcage’ handle. I think it looks great and unique. Only available in polished brass. It reduces the handle weight to 90g which, with the 30g brass head, should give the 2:1 weight ratio that gives the balance I tend to like.

View attachment 1708029

View attachment 1708031
Great looking handle!

Is that see-through on the middle of the handle or an optical illusion?
I'm wondering if that would screw on and look right on the Lambda Athena?

Last edited:
Great looking handle!

Is that see-through on the middle of the handle or an optical illusion?
I'm wondering if that would screw on and look right on the Lambda Athena?
Pretty sure, based on the name 'bird cage,' that the handle has holes that go all the way through. Pretty cool design.

Yes, the holes go all the way through. Should be good for grip too. I mis-typed the weight - it is 60g for this handle, 90g for the whole razor.

Here’s another pic from the Chiseled Face facebook account. With this angle you can see the base plate through the handle.

View attachment 1708311
Yeah that makes it easy to see doesn't it. That's definitely a fancy design I like it alot.

@Mr. Shavington let us know how that handle fills in your hand please.
Anybody else that has that handle too I'd like to know how you guys like it so far.
To me that's one of the most unique and nice looking handle I've seen.
I'm really thinking that might be nice behind the Athena razor but they might not match up good.

Edit: by the way congratulations on the new gear very nice!

@Mr. Shavington let us know how that handle fills in your hand please.
Anybody else that has that handle too I'd like to know how you guys like it so far.
To me that's one of the most unique and nice looking handle I've seen.
I'm really thinking that might be nice behind the Athena razor but they might not match up good.

Edit: by the way congratulations on the new gear very nice!
Here’s how the handle looks on my Athena, and the balance point.

024ED6BE-AA07-4972-A50A-71A0BD03E6E5.jpeg

I’m afraid I’ve let my Athena patina a bit - it’s about 18 months old and I haven’t polished it or used anything else to clean the patina. The colour of the brass CF handle is more golden and the Athena bronze is quite a pale yellow (especially when patina-free).

The birdcage handle feels nice to hold and the slots give good grip, but I will report back after I’ve shaved with it and my hands are wet. I felt like the Athena head is quite heavy so if the handle did get slippery it could be more awkward than the lighter CF head.

Hope this helps for the moment.

Here’s how the handle looks on my Athena, and the balance point.

View attachment 1711078

I’m afraid I’ve let my Athena patina a bit - it’s about 18 months old and I haven’t polished it or used anything else to clean the patina. The colour of the brass CF handle is more golden and the Athena bronze is quite a pale yellow (especially when patina-free).

The birdcage handle feels nice to hold and the slots give good grip, but I will report back after I’ve shaved with it and my hands are wet. I felt like the Athena head is quite heavy so if the handle did get slippery it could be more awkward than the lighter CF head.

Hope this helps for the moment.
Yeah doesn't look like a true matching color does it, I see what you're talking about.
Sure don't want to risk a drop on nice gear. Appreciate the thoughts.

Top Bottom