What's new

Chiseled Face Legacy Razor

Finally ordered one yesterday!
Raw Titanium with the Pineapple Twist handle.
Really looking forward to this one!

full

Will provide a full review after more shaves, but after the first shave my impression is that not all DE razors are exactly the same.

The razor was, to me, a bit of an enigma, feeling at times somewhat blade forward but at other times extremely smooth. At times very efficient and at other times quite mild.

Overall, though, the feeling was mostly quite smooth and medium efficient. The weight is wonderful, and the pineapple handle, that looked too short when I first saw it, felt great during the shave, like the handle I never knew I needed until I tried it.

More to come. I suspect with more shaves it will feel smooth and shave well all the time, but it is too soon to say.

Will provide a full review after more shaves, but after the first shave my impression is that not all DE razors are exactly the same.

The razor was, to me, a bit of an enigma, feeling at times somewhat blade forward but at other times extremely smooth. At times very efficient and at other times quite mild.

Overall, though, the feeling was mostly quite smooth and medium efficient. The weight is wonderful, and the pineapple handle, that looked too short when I first saw it, felt great during the shave, like the handle I never knew I needed until I tried it.

More to come. I suspect with more shaves it will feel smooth and shave well all the time, but it is too soon to say.
Quick recap of my experience which might help:
Same experience as you on day 1!
Figured out by the third shave that it's designed to be a razor that requires you to ride the cap or close to it.
(The Chiseled face description indicates that).
No neutral or steep angles with this one!
For me that's fine since I usually shave close to that angle with most razors. Once I got that angle dialed in, it did what it's supposed to do: Mild and very efficient every time! And predictably so!
It truly is a phenomenal razor when you get that angle dialed in. It's trumped most of my other razors and has fallen into the top 3 best for me.
Good luck!

Quick recap of my experience which might help:
Same experience as you on day 1!
Figured out by the third shave that it's designed to be a razor that requires you to ride the cap or close to it.
(The Chiseled face description indicates that).
No neutral or steep angles with this one!
For me that's fine since I usually shave close to that angle with most razors. Once I got that angle dialed in, it did what it's supposed to do: Mild and very efficient every time! And predictably so!
It truly is a phenomenal razor when you get that angle dialed in. It's trumped most of my other razors and has fallen into the top 3 best for me.
Good luck!
That was my suspicion, as well. I think of myself as a shallow angle shaver, and I prefer riding the cap, which is one of the reasons i went ahead with the purchase of this razor. Guess I don't always keep my razors as shallow as I thought. But then again, it was smooth for the vast majority of the shave.

I will update the thread after i've had a chance to shave with it over and over again.

I got an email from Chiseled Face today that they just came out with an aluminum version of the Legacy razor.
$90!
I might have to pick one up!

I had a fantastic shave today. Went back to my usual routine of using an open blade razor for everywhere except the van dyke area, and then using DE for cleanup along the jaw line.

For the second pass I pitted the titanium legacy on the left cheek against the Feather SS on the right. Reduction was slightly better with the SS, which is not particularly surprising.

But the the areas I shaved with the Legacy were comfortable and smooth. I feel like I'm really internalizing the correct angle and pressure, and the razor is really good and getting better. And I absolutely love the pineapple handle.

The weight of the entire razor is just about perfect, in my estimation. Really glad I picked up this razor.

I got an email from Chiseled Face today that they just came out with an aluminum version of the Legacy razor.
$90!
I might have to pick one up!

I'm correcting the "I might have to pick one up" line.
I just did!
Couldn't help myself at $89.99 total!
I love my Legacy titanium and I like aluminum razors a lot!
The Titanium one is so good that I'm putting the aluminum up to the challenge.
For traveling it seems like a perfect razor. Super light and hopefully performs as well as the Ti!
I don't want to take my Ti on trips. I'm scared of it getting lost so this is a great option.
I'd also love to get the brass version but it's too much money in my opinion.
I just got my brushed brass Yates yesterday and it cost practically half as compared to the brass legacy.
If they ever come out with a cheaper raw brass version, I'll get one!

I'm correcting the "I might have to pick one up" line.
I just did!
Couldn't help myself at $89.99 total!
I love my Legacy titanium and I like aluminum razors a lot!
The Titanium one is so good that I'm putting the aluminum up to the challenge.
For traveling it seems like a perfect razor. Super light and hopefully performs as well as the Ti!
I don't want to take my Ti on trips. I'm scared of it getting lost so this is a great option.
I'd also love to get the brass version but it's too much money in my opinion.
I just got my brushed brass Yates yesterday and it cost practically half as compared to the brass legacy.
If they ever come out with a cheaper raw brass version, I'll get one!
My Aluminum Legacy shipped out today
Probably will take like a week since it's coming from the west coast. I'll post an update whenever it arrives along with a shave review.

Well, I have used the Legacy a few more times and I have to say, although it isn't perfect, there is definitely something a little bit magical about this razor design.

After a bit more usage/experience I will post more thorough thoughts.
I used it for last night's shave and it was great!
I just have to remember each time to maintain that "ride the cap" angle. As long as I do that, it's a fantastic smooth & close shave.

Is it such a tough thing to do....ride the cap? Or bar?
99.9% of people do it intuitively.
Once you hear the rasping sound of blade cutting hair, you have done it.

Is it such a tough thing to do....ride the cap? Or bar?
99.9% of people do it intuitively.
Once you hear the rasping sound of blade cutting hair, you have done it.
No, not tough at all. Just different!
And it's not intuitive when you have tons of different razors (that require different angles) and you use all of them.
If I had only a couple of razors that intuitively get me to the Chiseled Face's angle, I wouldn't have to remember.
But I don't, I have many! Furthermore, the rasping sound can happen at multiple angles. Definitely not an indicator that you've achieved the optimal angle for a given razor.
And I believe the same applies to most things. That's why practice makes perfect (only if you're constant).
And I can tell you from experience, I fly airplanes for a living! Trust me that you don't want me (or any pilot for that matter) switching airframes and believing: 99.9% of people do it intuitively!;)

My Aluminum Legacy shipped out today
Probably will take like a week since it's coming from the west coast. I'll post an update whenever it arrives along with a shave review.
I don't see a shipping notification on mine and I jumped on it early. Where did you see it?

Edit: checked other email and found it and it was delivered yesterday. Saw a package but didn't open it. Didn't say chiseled face so I ignored it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom