What's new

Chiseled Face Legacy Razor

Bump!
Anything new on this razor?
I don't see anyone talking about it but it seems like a nice titanium tool at a great price!
Anyone else bought one lately or any current owners that want to chime in?

Use mine all the time. Still loving it.
Cool!
Barely anyone has one but I like how it looks.
If you have time, a few questions you can answer please:
I see you've had it a little over a year. How is it holding up? Still looks good and handle goes on smoothly etc..?
Does the finish really look like it's "unfinished"?
Most importantly, how does it shave?
I've read that if you don't ride the cap, you get no efficiency or smoothness. I guess it's got a narrow angle range.
Do you get good efficiency out of it? (I'm a 2 pass DFS shaver)
Does it feel agressive, medium or mild and do you get any blade feel?
Sorry to bombard with all these questions but you seem like the only active one here that has any experience with this razor. I read your whole thread so I know some of this stuff you previously answered. But I wanted to know these things after you've used it for a year. I know for me at least, when something is new, I tend to judge it differently than when I've used it for a while.
Thanks,
LRod

Very cool looking razor with the heat treatment. I am in agreement that the aluminum block case is on the overkill side. I like the mint tin idea much better. That's funky. I'm going to ask whether or not he would consider the heat treated razor with the tin case as opposed to the aluminum block.

I see you've had it a little over a year. How is it holding up? Still looks good and handle goes on smoothly etc..?
Yep. No problems whatsoever. Very smooth shaver. No construction issues whatsoever. From the pictures i've seen online, they have improved, also.
Does the finish really look like it's "unfinished"?
Nah. It's just gray instead of silver. Is the polishing perfect? No, it's not at say Wolfman level. But my eye can't pick up that anyway, it's fine.
Most importantly, how does it shave?
Very well. It's become my go to.
I've read that if you don't ride the cap, you get no efficiency or smoothness. I guess it's got a narrow angle range.
I was like that initially. Early on with it, I had to ride the cap. Over the last several months, either muscle memory has taken over or I shave haphazardly with it. I really don't think about it anymore, or notice I use it different than other razors. I think I may tend to ride the cap on many razors, though. Other razors I use fairly regularly are Wolfman WR1 and Merkur 34c.
Do you get good efficiency out of it? (I'm a 2 pass DFS shaver)
Seems fine to me, no complaints. It's not a crazy close shaver like a Blackbird which is fine with me.
Does it feel agressive, medium or mild and do you get any blade feel?
There is some blade feel if you move away from riding the cap and get more towards the guard, which is where it can get a bit tuggy or uncomfortable and blade feely.
Sorry to bombard with all these questions but you seem like the only active one here that has any experience with this razor. I read your whole thread so I know some of this stuff you previously answered. But I wanted to know these things after you've used it for a year. I know for me at least, when something is new, I tend to judge it differently than when I've used it for a while.
Thanks,
LRod
No problem! I'm happy with my purchase. I haven't seen many of them hit the resale market, not that i've really been looking, which seem to mean folks that buy them keep them.

YMMV!

Yep. No problems whatsoever. Very smooth shaver. No construction issues whatsoever. From the pictures i've seen online, they have improved, also.

Nah. It's just gray instead of silver. Is the polishing perfect? No, it's not at say Wolfman level. But my eye can't pick up that anyway, it's fine.

Very well. It's become my go to.

I was like that initially. Early on with it, I had to ride the cap. Over the last several months, either muscle memory has taken over or I shave haphazardly with it. I really don't think about it anymore, or notice I use it different than other razors. I think I may tend to ride the cap on many razors, though. Other razors I use fairly regularly are Wolfman WR1 and Merkur 34c.

Seems fine to me, no complaints. It's not a crazy close shaver like a Blackbird which is fine with me.

There is some blade feel if you move away from riding the cap and get more towards the guard, which is where it can get a bit tuggy or uncomfortable and blade feely.

No problem! I'm happy with my purchase. I haven't seen many of them hit the resale market, not that i've really been looking, which seem to mean folks that buy them keep them.

YMMV!
Thanks so much for the thorough response. This will help me tremendously in my possible decision to purchase.
LRod

I have one. With the Herringbone handle. It's excellent. Efficient and smooth even with the bigger blade gap. It's light. As others have said, if I ride the cap I find the sweet spot-lower blade feel but still efficient. It's a great daily driver. It's in my main rotation with about 4 other razors.

Bump!
How is/was the razor?
Sorry about the long delay. Just not paying attention I guess. The brass Legacy razor is one of the 8 razors I own. All are, to me, excellent shavers. It took me awhile to winnow down to where I am now. This razor is well-balanced, a good weight, and very easy to manoeuvre with. Very good looking and a beautiful polish. The shave is also very good. Intuitive and easy to find the right angle. This razor also has a terrific ATG pass. With all my razors I tend to get a 2 pass shave with some buffing. No difference with this one as well. I like SS and brass razors because of their weight. Ti and AL are just too light for me. So, I'm really pleased with this razor and it's an enjoyable part of my rotation.

Sorry about the long delay. Just not paying attention I guess. The brass Legacy razor is one of the 8 razors I own. All are, to me, excellent shavers. It took me awhile to winnow down to where I am now. This razor is well-balanced, a good weight, and very easy to manoeuvre with. Very good looking and a beautiful polish. The shave is also very good. Intuitive and easy to find the right angle. This razor also has a terrific ATG pass. With all my razors I tend to get a 2 pass shave with some buffing. No difference with this one as well. I like SS and brass razors because of their weight. Ti and AL are just too light for me. So, I'm really pleased with this razor and it's an enjoyable part of my rotation.
Thanks for the update!
It's hard to find any user information about the Chiseled Face razors. I guess that rarity makes them quite interesting.
LRod

You are welcome. This is one of the razors I will not get rid of...I like it that much. Actually the 8 I have will not be replaced. They are that good, to me.
Please post what are your top 8 when you can. I enjoy reading about people's favorites in order to compare.
My favorites after trying, buying, selling etc.. a ton of different razors are:

Above the Tie Windsor SSRH
Above the Tie X1 slant
Green Cult 1.1
Green Cult 2.0
Stando Chors
Tatara Nodachi
Merkur 37C Slant

The "Great Eight" are, in no particular order, Lambda Athena, Chiseled Face Legacy Brass, Smart-Helix Apollo, GreenCult 2.0, Razorine FlatBoy, Karve OverLander, Blutt BR-1 (1.20) and the Blackland Dart Re-issue. All, superb shavers.
tempImageeIevOz.png

Top Bottom