What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

I find my more expensive razors (DE and straight) to look, feel and shave better than my less expensive ones.
I find my more expensive shoes and clothing items to look and feel better than my less expensive ones.
Of the two cars we currently have in our family, I much prefer the looks, performance and features of the more expensive one.

See where I'm going with this.... :D

However, as many have pointed, there's no rule that spending more money will get you "better" product and more satisfaction, but, often times, it does.

My rule, and I'm yet to regret it, if it's something you really care for and plan to use for a long time, always spend a bit more than you were prepared to.

I find very old denim jeans much more comfortable than new jeans. I like being able to roll down my windows without involving the ignition switch.

Looks? Yeah, looks generally cost money.

Looks? Yeah, looks generally cost money.

Sometimes it's looks, sometimes it's brand name and hype, for sure, no argument from me on that.

However, often times, it's quality, durability, materials used and/or money spend on R&D to get to a certain feature set that will result in higher price. Could be one, or all of the above.

Of course in any product "law of diminishing returns" kicks in at some point, 2-10x the price, doesn't mean 2-10x "better" (and please do note the quotes around "better") product. That "improvement" curve flattens out at some point while price still keeps rising.

Is it worth it? Nobody can answer that in my opinion, all we can do is vote with our hard earned money.

Sometimes it's looks, sometimes it's brand name and hype, for sure, no argument from me on that.

However, often times, it's quality, durability, materials used and/or money spend on R&D to get to a certain feature set that will result in higher price. Could be one, or all of the above.

Of course in any product "law of diminishing returns" kicks in at some point, 2-10x the price, doesn't mean 2-10x "better" (and please do note the quotes around "better") product. That "improvement" curve flattens out at some point while price still keeps rising.

Is it worth it? Nobody can answer that in my opinion, all we can do is vote with our hard earned money.

Good points. I generally like proven, reliable tech (notice my dislike of power windows). So R&D was paid by Gillette when it invented, absorbed, bought, etc. it's tech for most of my wants.

And people do and will pay for what they want/need. I don't understand why people spend enough for a house on a car. Their money though.

it's funny how, in today's economies of scale, the real expense is in the newfangled way hp:wt:fuel efficiency/emissions far far out costs the mass-produced chips of silicon to control everything and cheap mechanicals which operates auxiliary functions. Then the second most expensive additions (often neck and neck with design) is cockpit appointments; and that's not the displays, a/c automatic seats - it's the leathers, wood, and detail time to make them demonstrate fit and finish. Last, and as you so clearly point out, time from original sale demonstrates the consumerism need for depreciation to keep the economy of people going. Lots of lovely, very special cars out there which are ten years old and so damn inexpensive compared with their 'new model.'

"I hereby declare this can of worms open" :D

Some say yes, some say no. My first razor was a plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic, which I used almost exclusively for roughly 20 years. That razor is still working great, and the model is still available on the UK High Streets for under £5 complete with blades.

My most expensive DE is an Edwin Jagger chrome plated zamak razor which hasn't disintegrated, and neither have I. Some people feel the need to "justify" spending money on the high end kit, but there's really no need to. The bottom line is spend whatever you want on whatever you want. If you get good results from it and enjoy using it, that's all that matters.

+1

So, in terms of safety razors there were the GEM/Ever Ready/Star SE type, the Schick injector SE type, and then the other forms of three piece type level/slanted razors created in the early 1900's.

Is there a modern creation that is not based on these vintage products? Is there a modern product that produces a better result. Is there a modern razor in which the unskilled can get as good of a result as those who have developed skills using vintage razors?

Then, can it be said that an adjustable type can provide a better effectiveness than a non adjustable?

I once asked an old golf buddy which putter I should get. He said to "get one you like to look at". I bought the '95 Scotty Cameron. The same is true for razors. If it appeals to you and you like the looks, get it and develop the skills to get the results you prefer.

One of the best things I've learned when I've read & posted here; price has nothing to do with his good of a shave you get.It's a part of why I got away from the Fusion.
I've yet to spend more then $25 for any of the razors I own. The top price was for an '82 Gillette Black Beauty. I have a '65 Slim ($15), a Krona ($12) a Weishi 9306C ($12), a Ming 2000S ($7)/and even JunJie 3 piece that I got for $2.50 in a dollar store. (Nothing goes for a buck in NYC dollar store).
Put a good fresh blade in any of them, lather up, and in three passes, a DFS or BBS. If someone wants to spend $150 to $200 on a razor, that's up to them. I don't understand what they are getting out of it. As long as I am getting what I need out of my razors, I'm find with them.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

.... I've yet to spend more then $25 for any of the razors I own.....

Can you reliably say that more expensive ones (150-200 razors you mention) aren't "better" then ? :D :D

As far as "is it worth it?" like I said before, that's personal decision each of us have to make, what's important to one person is completely irrelevant to other.

If someone wants to spend $150 to $200 on a razor, that's up to them. I don't understand what they are getting out of it. As long as I am getting what I need out of my razors, I'm find with them.

As far as "is it worth it?" like I said before, that's personal decision each of us have to make, what's important to one person is completely irrelevant to other.

Seems y'all agree.

You miss it. A DFS or BBS is what matters. I get that good of a shave with the razors I have. I don't need more expensive razors to accomplish that. Its the tools you have and the work you put into it, not the price.
Can you reliably say that more expensive ones (150-200 razors you mention) aren't "better" then ? :D :D

You miss it. A DFS or BBS is what matters. I get that good of a shave with the razors I have. I don't need more expensive razors to accomplish that. Its the tools you have and the work you put into it, not the price.

I never shaved with the nylon baseplate Super Adjustable but I can “reliably” say that my 1973 birth year I attained NOS is just as good a shaver as my Timeless 95 OC in stainless. My Timeless is #2 in looks out of all my razors, my 73 SA is #1 in my opinion. Also has the build quality of 70 years of Gillette R & D behind it. Yes, stainless is more durable than nickel plated brass and a powdercoat aluminum handle but I am going to treat my SA a lot differently than the average guy buying one in 1973. I will still easily pass it down to my son and if he takes care with it, it would be passed to a grandson.

The bottom line is most modern razors are based off of and or are clones of vintage. Everybody gives Gillette a hard time about the carts, but could you imagine what their razors would look like today if they would have kept up with R & D of DE over the last 40 some odd years? By the way, there was a reason that Gillette almost pulled the trigger on a modern release of the Pre-War fat handle Tech design in AOS stores.

No, you miss it... :D :D :D
I'm not in combative mood, I swear, just feel this can be "debated" a bit more. :D

To me personally other things matter too, in addition to DFS.
Fit and finish, looks, great design, cool story behind the product, perhaps made locally, longevity of the product, materials used and something I can potentially pass onto my young son one day. For that, I'm willing to spend more. To you, none of that matters, your criteria is DFS/BBS only, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

OP was asking how they compare, and I tried answering that based on my experience.
It just happened that those more expensive ones I own perform better than less expensive ones, maybe I got lucky, but then again, it's not just the razors. Few other products kinda worked this way for me too.

M

member 119848

Cheap vs expensive... yes, a can of worms indeed!

It's just like watches. No one needs to spend much on a watch if if its only purpose is to read time.
Most DE razors achieve excellent shaves.

Quality of craftmanship brings another dimension to the experience ...for those who know how to appreciate it. I see nothing wrong in having aspiration to pursue refinement. The whole purpose of Luxury is to enhance one's experience.
However, let 's not fall in the trap of snobism: there are a bunch of affordable products that are top performers, and are still very enjoyable to use.

:jump:
proxy.php
:jump:

Great question! Last week I shaved with my Wolfman WR1, which I would classify as ‘high-end.’ This week I am shaving with my Lord L6, which is definitely in the ‘budget’ category. Both are modern 3-piece designs.

I get DFS or better from both! Now the Wolfman is more to my taste because of the weight, balance, quality of workmanship, etc. BUT the Lord is perfectly fine!

My ‘compromise’ is to use the Wolfman as my ‘daily driver’ and the Lord as my ‘travel razor.’

Thought they went up in price after kickstarter. Did they ever fix that drainage slot issue? I waited for the reviews and saw that you basically have to open the tto to clear hair and soap. After seeing those videos, I forgot about them.
I recently bought mine on Amazon and it was $49 with free shipping. As for the other things, I cant say as mine hasnt arrived from China yet. Ive seen some pictures of them that look like now they have holes in the baseplate that could be drainage but I obviously wont know until mine arrives.

I find my more expensive razors (DE and straight) to look, feel and shave better than my less expensive ones.
I find my more expensive shoes and clothing items to look and feel better than my less expensive ones.
Of the two cars we currently have in our family, I much prefer the looks, performance and features of the more expensive one.

See where I'm going with this.... :D

However, as many have pointed, there's no rule that spending more money will get you "better" product and more satisfaction, but, often times, it does.

My rule, and I'm yet to regret it, if it's something you really care for and plan to use for a long time, always spend a bit more than you were prepared to.
I used to feel that way but then I realized that all I was doing is putting my own perceptions on things like that. I used to like owning the best of the best (that I could afford at least LOL) but I eventually started to realize that a Kia will get you down the road just as well as a Bugatti will and at the end of the day, the rest of the world doesnt really care what you have. Im past the point where things give me any kind of a thrill, Im now to the point where I place value on the experience, not on material wealth. Hey, YMMV, right? Just last night I had a wonderful shave with my Weishi razor, Yaqi brush, Dorco prime blade and Soap Commander soap. It was an easy, 3-pass BBS and all the gear for the shave cost me less than $50

I recently bought mine on Amazon and it was $49 with free shipping. As for the other things, I cant say as mine hasnt arrived from China yet. Ive seen some pictures of them that look like now they have holes in the baseplate that could be drainage but I obviously wont know until mine arrives.

It is a pretty razor for sure. I followed it for a while. I think the only Zamac on it is the baseplate. Zamac doesn’t bother me on baseplates, only threads. The company replied to the clearing issues by indicating a drainage hole change from what I have read. Hope it works out. The Variant had black handle issues they worked out also. It happens.

It is a pretty razor for sure. I followed it for a while. I think the only Zamac on it is the baseplate. Zamac doesn’t bother me on baseplates, only threads. The company replied to the clearing issues by indicating a drainage hole change from what I have read. Hope it works out. The Variant had black handle issues they worked out also. It happens.
Yeah, we'll see. Hopefully it works out better than my Parker Variant did. That thing had uneven blade gap and alignment and I ended up sending it back. I loved the razor but it must have been made on a Monday or Friday. LOL

Top Bottom