What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My answer is still "yes". :D :D
$16 and say a $150 assuming good technique, chances are more expensive shaves better.
Looks/quality/personal preference/materials/brand prestige and R&D aside.

Sorry, buddy. I'd have to disagree there. The higher prices tend to be due to manufacturing techniques or material choices. However, CNC machining of high grade stainless steel is no indication of ergonomics or superiority of design.

A "better" designed (more suitable for the end user) Zamak cast razor may well shave better than a razor produced to fine tolerances in expensive materials, whose head geometry is less suited to the individual's face/beard.

A parallel: you can get passable finger nail trims with kitchen scissors, but you will do better with a purpose made manicure kit.

NOPE! The parallel would be $6.00 finger nail scissors vs. $100.00 finger nail scissors. I bet I could not tell which nails were cut with which ones, if I didn't see the brightest, shiniest one with bells and whistles doing the cutting. Especially since we are talking about the holders, not the actual blades doing the cutting!

Sorry, buddy. I'd have to disagree there. The higher prices tend to be due to manufacturing techniques or material choices. However, CNC machining of high grade stainless steel is no indication of ergonomics or superiority of design.

A "better" designed (more suitable for the end user) Zamak cast razor may well shave better than a razor produced to fine tolerances in expensive materials, whose head geometry is less suited to the individual's face/beard.

Right and as you said "may", no argument from me there.
I just think that $16 and $150 example I brought up are two very far extremes, and like I said "chances" are $150 will shave better.

I truly not only believe that, but have personal experience to back it up (subjective I know) but if you look at one of my previous posts seems I've either gotten lucky with DE/Straight and brush as well along with some other, non shaving items, or there's some sort of predictable logic to things.

.... but, yeah, I get it, we won't all agree on this. :thumbsup:

NOPE! The parallel would be $6.00 finger nail scissors vs. $100.00 finger nail scissors. I bet I could not tell which nails were cut with which ones....

It'll only take $106 to be absolutely sure. :D :D :D

As an absolute, no. All that matters is head geometry. My Blackbird is my best shaver for me, but my LC NEW is a close number two, beating out all kinds of ATT razors, Mongoose, etc. The head design is what truly matters IMO.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Right and as you said "may", no argument from me there.
I just think that $16 and $150 example I brought up are two very far extremes, and like I said "chances" are $150 will shave better.

I truly not only believe that, but have personal experience to back it up (subjective I know) but if you look at one of my previous posts seems I've either gotten lucky with DE/Straight and brush as well along with some other, non shaving items, or there's some sort of predictable logic to things.

.... but, yeah, I get it, we won't all agree on this. :thumbsup:

I don't want to tell you that your choices of what work best for you are wrong. Their obviously not. Just that price is far from a guarantee of superiority.

I fully acknowledge your examples, but I'll offer some examples of my own. My most expensive pocket knife was over £200, but I have several that cost under £50 which are better in more ways than one. I've handled hand made sheath knives which weren't as good as significantly cheaper alternatives. In industrial tooling, I've had several experiences where a significantly lower priced tool has performed better on certain jobs. I've had £100 boots that last 18 months, and £30 boots that last over three years. I ditched Leatherman tools for cheaper Gerbers. Titanium camp cookware uses more fuel than aluminium, because it doesn't conduct heat as well. I've had own brand cheap superglues which held better than Loctite equivalent on certain jobs. I've had expensive travel flasks that leak, and cheap ones that don't. Taken cheap bottles of wine to parties, which tasted better than more expensive ones. I've seen it on marine electrical and heating systems, marine paints, shampoo, steel forgings from different mills, machine tools, and eaten in cheaper restaurants whose food was better than the expensive one I went to the week before.

Of course, I have had many occasions where the higher cost was fully justified too.

Higher prices IMPLY higher quality, and some consumers do feel justified for the greater outlay, but I've been let down way too many times to accept a higher cost as any kind of promise of quality or performance any more. I've become a far more sceptical consumer as a result.

If your high end kit works better for you, that's fantastic. I'm glad it worked out for you, but I won't be following suit. I get great shaves with some very inexpensive kit, and can't perceive how I could possibly feel justified for buying a different razor at five times the price.

You're right, we won't all agree, but it's great to be able to have these exchanges amicably :thumbup1:

If it works for you, then there’s no need to change, IMO. My first razor was a Merkur 23c on sale from Amazon. It is my daily driver. I got a coupon code from West Coast Shaving and got a heavier handle, 88g, and an OC head and CC head from them. I put the heavier handle on the 23c head and it shaved much better than the original handle. The lighter Merkur handle works great on the more aggressive WCS heads. (23c mild, WSC CC mid range and WSC OC aggressive). So basically I have 3 razors for under $50 total and have no reason to change ever unless something breaks. Then, whatever breaks, will be replaced by the same thing. I got into DE shaving to save money, not spend more. I also only have one brush I will ever use and that’s the Omega 10098 boar. If and when it wears out, I will just open another one. (I already have one in reserve). What works best for me just happened to be cheap and I’m plenty happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, my "best" (or most consistent) performing shaving implements are all of modest price point. The caveat is that my "favorite" or most used items happen to be my more pricy acquisitions.

I honestly did not buy those items because I thought they may perfom better, instead it was simply because I wanted them. I get great shaves with everything I own. I like having the choice of purchasing a Weishi or Wolfman or choosing between buying a New LC or springing for a Toggle. It excites me. So, no you don't NEED to spend a lot of money to have great shave, but I personally think you should treat yourself if you can. IMHO,
Money spent should never be a variable in your morning or evening shaving routine!

Personally, my "best" (or most consistent) performing shaving implements are all of modest price point. The caveat is that my "favorite" or most used items happen to be my more pricy acquisitions.

I honestly did not buy those items because I thought they may perfom better, instead it was simply because I wanted them. I get great shaves with everything I own. I like having the choice of purchasing a Weishi or Wolfman or choosing between buying a New LC or springing for a Toggle. It excites me. So, no you don't NEED to spend a lot of money to have great shave, but I personally think you should treat yourself if you can. IMHO,
Money spent should never be a variable in your morning or evening shaving routine!

Best post of the thread.

You're right, we won't all agree, but it's great to be able to have these exchanges amicably :thumbup1:

Of course not, nothing wrong with that :D , although I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

I too have experienced it many times, and have never said that higher price implies better performing product by default.

What I said (or was trying to say anyway) that chances are very good that a product A with a price that's 1/10 of the product B will not be as good (OP has $16 razor, I used $150 as one of more expensive ones to try to make a point). While I have experienced the same as what you stated above, where some of the less expensive products were "better" for me (do note the quotation marks please :D) I can't think of any case where for me personally, with products at such extreme end of price range, where less expensive one outperformed more expensive one.

Last edited:
I was thinking today after my most excellent shave with my humble vintage Souplex three piece oc with a Personna blue, and I was thinking-would a very expensive Timeless, Above the Tie, or Rockwell 6S (or Feather AS-D2) really give me a better shave than this humble little three piece oc? Not likely. All you're paying for is manufacturing process and materials, or maybe durability, but not quality of shave. No offense to any of the above shaving implements, but I'll pass. Doesn't matter to me if a DE razor is as old and ugly as a rail spike-if it gives a quality close shave, it's for me.

I was thinking today after my most excellent shave with my humble vintage Souplex three piece oc with a Personna blue, and I was thinking-would a very expensive Timeless, Above the Tie, or Rockwell 6S (or Feather AS-D2) really give me a better shave than this humble little three piece oc? Not likely. All you're paying for is manufacturing process and materials, or maybe durability, but not quality of shave. No offense to any of the above shaving implements, but I'll pass. Doesn't matter to me if a DE razor is as old and ugly as a rail spike-if it gives a quality close shave, it's for me.

I must ask, but have you tried any of them you mentioned? Or do you assume it is that way?

A parallel: you can get passable finger nail trims with kitchen scissors, but you will do better with a purpose made manicure kit.

They both have scissors involved, right?

Seriously, that's hardly the same thing. An Edwin Jagger and a Rex Ambassador are both designed to shave, yet obviously a pair of scissors are not made to cut nails.

A blinded razor test might be revealing as to shave quality, but in the end we like what we like and facts are beside the point.

When it comes to this debate, not long ago I was in the "doesn't matter" camp. Just find a razor with characteristics suited to your face and there's no difference. Since then, thanks to the generosity of a couple of guys in this community, I've had the opportunity to try thousands of dollars worth of high end razors. I won't try to offer an academic perspective, since I'm entirely unqualified. I'll just say that some of the high-end razors haven't been my cup of tea, but two of them turned out to be my very favorite razors.

I've acquired one of the two. A major investment but well worth it. And at least for now, the one that I have has filled the void and I feel no need to acquire the other. The two shave very much alike, which leads me to wonder if careful design, better materials and mindful execution allow one to push the bounds of razor effectiveness.

I have other razors that shave well and were far less expensive. If the issue is value, no way I'd recommend the high-end razors. One may pay ten times as much to get an experience that's 10% better. But if one cares to have access to that better shave day after day, it may be worth the investment. Especially when one considers that these razors hold their value well and make great family heirlooms.

The two that worked best for me are the Charcoal Goods Level 3 (closed comb) -- the one I was able to purchase thanks to the kindness of a friend who allowed me to come in on his purchase (there's a waiting list) -- and the Wolfman WR1 .94 -- a razor that is super challenging to acquire. Though these are my favorites, I can't of course promise they'll work for anyone else. Can only say they offer very similar shaving experiences which I'd categorize as 1) Super aggressive, 2) Strong blade-forward feel (providing excellent feedback) and 3) Incredible smoothness (particularly for razors that shave this close) and 4) Outstanding build quality / Extreme beauty.

If I could choose only one of the two, I actually prefer the less expensive option, the one I acquired -- the CGL3. Though very close, I'd rate it as a slightly more aggressive and equally smooth. And while the finish on the Wolfman is second to none, I personally find the CGL3 more beautiful because it comes in shiny copper (and I melt in the presence of shiny copper).

All of that said, I'll never give up my super aggressive Ikon Tech -- a reasonably priced razor when it was in production, though they go for quite a bit now at auction. It's the one I know will deliver regardless of how many days of beard growth I bring to the party and regardless of blade choice.

Please let me reiterate, I find I can get 90% of the same performance with razors that sell for far less than those discussed above. Heck, my Yaqi Beast head was $7 and it's a solid performer. I mention it only because it represents an extreme. There are many solid performers that can be had for $20 or less and tons that can be had for $20 to $50.

More money will usually get you more exotic - and perhaps more durable - materials, and a better fit and finish, but not necessarily a better shave or better value.

More money will usually get you more exotic - and perhaps more durable - materials, and a better fit and finish, but not necessarily a better shave or better value.
I would have to highly disagree with you on both accounts highlighted!! I not only get a shave that is far and beyond anything I'd had in 2016/17 with my Timeless Ti95SB purchased in Feb 2018, but the money I've saved since buying it is a hefty sum as well. In 2016/17 on average I was spending about $350-400 on razors, per year, that were either PIF'd or sold on the BST because they just didn't work for me, no matter how many reviews I'd read that, on paper, were the perfect razor for me and would give me the best shave result... Witch hunt was the only way to describe it and to think of all the suggestions I'd just easily passed by when a Timeless or similar were mentioned!! Too many to count and I wish I'd taken that advice a little more seriously today.

To sum it up, I get the best shave for me and with all the money I saved in just 2018, I decided to take a small potion and purchased another Timeless so now I will be set for a lifetime... I almost shutter to think that the Ti95SB I originally purchased also came with a .68SB base plate and some 150 blades for a mere $200!! Right place...right time i guess!!

I would have to highly disagree with you on both accounts highlighted!! I not only get a shave that is far and beyond anything I'd had in 2016/17 with my Timeless Ti95SB purchased in Feb 2018, but the money I've saved since buying it is a hefty sum as well. In 2016/17 on average I was spending about $350-400 on razors, per year, that were either PIF'd or sold on the BST because they just didn't work for me, no matter how many reviews I'd read that, on paper, were the perfect razor for me and would give me the best shave result... Witch hunt was the only way to describe it and to think of all the suggestions I'd just easily passed by when a Timeless or similar were mentioned!! Too many to count and I wish I'd taken that advice a little more seriously today.

To sum it up, I get the best shave for me and with all the money I saved in just 2018, I decided to take a small potion and purchased another Timeless so now I will be set for a lifetime... I almost shutter to think that the Ti95SB I originally purchased also came with a .68SB base plate and some 150 blades for a mere $200!! Right place...right time i guess!!
That says something about your Timeless but not anything about the issue at hand. I too love my Timeless SB, but prefer my $7 Baili to the Blackbird. So there's that.

Top Bottom