What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

As with most things (cars, booze, stereo gear, etc.), no one can tell you how much something is worth.

I could live with my pre-War Tech (PIF from a very generous B&B member) alone just fine. I also like my 1970 Tech ($15) and my iKon Shavecraft 102 ($65). But I really, really enjoy my Above The Tie S1 and S2 ($185). They're worth the price to me.

Aside from value for money, personal preference is important. I've sold a number of well-regarded fairly-expensive-to-very-expensive razors, as well as a number of inexpensive ones, that didn't work for me as well as others. It takes me at least a dozen shaves with a few blades that I understand, sometimes 2 or 3 dozen shaves or more, to figure this out. It's kind of fun, and, as hobbies go, it's pretty inexpensive.

Some ppl think a $60 soapstone handle makes a Gillette mach3 turbo into a better shaver, but color me skeptical ;)

I understand what you mean, I agree that $57 isn’t cheap so to speak but it is the lowest price modern adjustable you will find and it is a better shaver than most other high priced ones from $80 to $300. I was trying to group it with the other moderns.

I love my Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable along with their superior build, looks and history but my Variant gives me a better shave.

You can get the fat handle Pre-War Techs, Standard Razor Aluminums (Original/While they last) and Fendrihans for about $30 currently.
The Variant is nowhere near the cheapest
Modern adjustable out there that title
Goes to the Qshave / Ming Shi Futur
Replica and then there's the Viking blade
Brass adjustable @ $39.USD..

I love that so many of you guys are buying the new "cheap" razors... leaves more of the vintage gold for the rest of us... I absolutely love the vintage gillettes even with moderate wear and character. my most expensive is a furtur that sits while my sub $10 gillettes get used. I have no desire to get the super expensive timeless when I am getting a great shave from these actually timeless razors.

I know someone got a Gillette Toggle for $1.50 and that's much cheaper comparing to the Baili . And have heard Toggle shaves somewhat better. To your question: expensive is not necessarily better.

Razors need to be accurate to hold the blade correctly. I would not trust a clone to do that. Many times the companies that are making the clone change a critical dimension to avoid copying a design. You get what you are paying for.

MM879

If you are talking about modern razors I suppose paying more will held better results.

Once you get into vintage there are more variables than price. You can pay $100 for a "pristine" Fat Boy that turns out to be bent or like the fellow member last week who got a "refurbished" Gillette NEW LC with a messed up cap.

Vintage buyers must be willing to study, listen to the wise ones here, and look for days using odd ball search terms to find the real deal. Then they must use, tweak, and give some away and buy more to stay in the hunt.

Its not the cheapest modern adjustable. The Qshave Parthenon is $49.

Thought they went up in price after kickstarter. Did they ever fix that drainage slot issue? I waited for the reviews and saw that you basically have to open the tto to clear hair and soap. After seeing those videos, I forgot about them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you are talking about modern razors I suppose paying more will held better results.

Once you get into vintage there are more variables than price. You can pay $100 for a "pristine" Fat Boy that turns out to be bent or like the fellow member last week who got a "refurbished" Gillette NEW LC with a messed up cap.

Vintage buyers must be willing to study, listen to the wise ones here, and look for days using odd ball search terms to find the real deal. Then they must use, tweak, and give some away and buy more to stay in the hunt.

That's one of the reasons I avoided vintage DEs for so long. I didn't want "surprises" unless I'd got a warranty to cover them. Eventually I succumbed and got a birth year razor, and discovered that I got no better shaves from something 44 years old than I do from a new razor. I'll not be buying another vintage DE. For me personally, I don't perceive any benefit, just more risk on condition and no warranty to cover it. Each to their own.

Thought they went up in price after kickstarter. Did they ever fix that drainage slot issue? I waited for the reviews and saw that you basically have to open the tto to clear hair and soap. After seeing those videos, I forgot about them.[/QUOTE
The Variant is nowhere near the cheapest
Modern adjustable out there that title
Goes to the Qshave / Ming Shi Futur
Replica and then there's the Viking blade
Brass adjustable @ $39.USD..

I was trying to make the point earlier of quality. Not trying to hurt feelings here.

That's one of the reasons I avoided vintage DEs for so long. I didn't want "surprises" unless I'd got a warranty to cover them. Eventually I succumbed and got a birth year razor, and discovered that I got no better shaves from something 44 years old than I do from a new razor. I'll not be buying another vintage DE. For me personally, I don't perceive any benefit, just more risk on condition and no warranty to cover it. Each to their own.

You mean you used one vintage razor that decided there was no benefit? How do you know your modern is all that great. Actually your experience is with two bad razors.

Of course, I'm just kidding you a bit, but you might want to reconsider. Two vintage razors that don't get as much attention as the adjustable is the first generation Schick Krona (short or long chrome metal tip) and the late '40's Super Speed NDC. Both can be found for less than $10. I challenge anyone to find a better tool that with the right skill and decent blade can deliver as good as you can find.

Like most things, cost does not always equate to better quality or a better experience. All this being said, there are razors available today that are functional works of art. To each their own. If you have the means and the desire, cost will not be a factor.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You mean you used one vintage razor that decided there was no benefit? How do you know your modern is all that great. Actually your experience is with two bad razors.

Of course, I'm just kidding you a bit, but you might want to reconsider. Two vintage razors that don't get as much attention as the adjustable is the first generation Schick Krona (short or long chrome metal tip) and the late '40's Super Speed NDC. Both can be found for less than $10. I challenge anyone to find a better tool that with the right skill and decent blade can deliver as good as you can find.

Not quite that narrow, one vintage against four modern :p

My interest in older razors is in other razor formats with regrindable blades. I don't perceive any value in vintage DE razors, but have taken interest in other systems. ;)

If I'm going to buy DE, I might as well buy new and get a warranty. If I'm going to buy vintage, I might as well buy something that has no modern equivalent. Just my take on things :)

I don't think expensive razors necessarily give a better shave. If you are looking for superior multi generational durability though you usually have to pay more for stainless or brass.

Not quite that narrow, one vintage against four modern :p

My interest in older razors is in other razor formats with regrindable blades. I don't perceive any value in vintage DE razors, but have taken interest in other systems. ;)

If I'm going to buy DE, I might as well buy new and get a warranty. If I'm going to buy vintage, I might as well buy something that has no modern equivalent. Just my take on things :)
You’re paying for the warranty of course.

I have several "higher end" razors.
ATT, Blackbird, 17-4, and Rocnel.
The fancy modern razors give me an excellent to spectacular shave.
But I need great prep and excellent technique to get the results.
If I am in a rush or don't feel wide awake my $8 Tech will give me a mindless DFS with no retribution for poor technique.
Since when is 44 years old vintage?
Crank it back another 44 years or so and the fun really begins!

I’m gonna say that it doesn’t matter. What matters is how much effort you put into learning the razor and if it provides a shave you want. I have read quite a few post regarding the Wolfman razor saying how it provides the best shave ever and how they didn’t get a good shave using them in the beginning(irritation, weepers, nicks). But because it’s a Wolfman and they are not easily replaceable/attainable and expensive, they actually put the effort in learning the razor and how to get a good shave with it, thus resulting in the razor providing the best shaves. But they gave up too quickly on other razors.

It’s all what you like and what work for you, but with a bit of patience, a cheap razor will work as good as more expensive ones.
By cheap I don’t mean Chinese copies but 40 dollars and below well known brands, they are cheap relative to Timeless, ATT, CG, etc.

I have 2 razors at the moment. One was 70$ and it shaves wonderfully and looks classy. The other was 16$ and it shaves wonderfully and looks classy.

Obviously there are some out there that cost a lot more but how would people say they compare?

I find my more expensive razors (DE and straight) to look, feel and shave better than my less expensive ones.
I find my more expensive shoes and clothing items to look and feel better than my less expensive ones.
Of the two cars we currently have in our family, I much prefer the looks, performance and features of the more expensive one.

See where I'm going with this.... :D

However, as many have pointed, there's no rule that spending more money will get you "better" product and more satisfaction, but, often times, it does.

My rule, and I'm yet to regret it, if it's something you really care for and plan to use for a long time, always spend a bit more than you were prepared to.

Top Bottom