What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Today’s Shark week shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend. Doubles as a shark repellent.

Razor: Henson Al13 +++
Blade: Shark Crome
Soap: MDC Fougere sample

Brush: Semogue 1305
Balm Stirling unscented balm.
Aftershave: old Spice

The Shark Chrome. This is a serviceable blade. I think the Shark platinum might be better. No blood No blood.

Stately DFS

Fri 29 Shark Week & Blade Challenge - JAWS 2x / Shark SS 2x / Shark Platinum 2x = Shark SS Tops so far
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Shark Super Stainless 2nd
Aftershave TGS Orange Empire Splash
This is a wonderful orangy scented soap and especially the aftershave...lovely! The lather is nicely thick creamy and slick too...whip-up easily with this awesome brush..love it!
Today's choice with this good razor paired with the excellent blade can only mean 1 thing...an outstanding shave!! Very smooth comfortable and efficient in 3passes without any blood issues for a bbs finish...
20220729_130056.jpg

20220729_144412-01.jpeg
Today, I went back to my former S³ blade, 5th outing today. I chose a rather mild razor (which is effective enough for today's shave, though), a Razorock SLOC, since yesterday's shave with the Blackbird was a very close one. Hence I didn't expect to need more umph today to get rid of my re-grown stubble.

This blade is like a box full of surprises. Today's outing was absolutely free of tugging. The blade offered a level sharpness which still was sufficient.

So - as I have to admit - to my surprise I ended up with a very comfortable and smooth shave. A very satisfying DFS+ in 2 passes plus some touchups on the chin. If I had seeked to chase the baby I definetely would have achieved this goal. But I was a bit in a hurry...

No blood in the water, no redness on my neck.

What's happening here? 🤷‍♂️
Onward to shave #6!

Happy shaves!

Fourth shave with the Sharp Jaws Platinum blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Stout (24mm Angel Hair)
Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) Shaving Cream

Another great performance by the Jaws Platinum blade!

This blade continues to shine as the minor flaws from the previous use have completely disappeared. My three main passes were all very smooth and comfortable. Buffing was just an afterthought as I only needed a handful of strokes to achieve a quick, trouble-free BBS.

So far, this blade has been the most consistent of the three in this Challenge PIF. However, the Shark Platinum is starting to give the Jaws a run for its money. And the Shark SS, which started off in truly awful fashion, is beginning to come around. We'll see which one ultimately prevails after a few more uses.

CA6C2A14-827C-4C0F-847F-784FEFDAADEE.jpeg

Aye mates. Today I had my first encounter with a Platinum Shark, offering Free Hugs!

Blade: Shark Platinum
Razor: Blackland Era (level 5 open-comb)
Brush: Vikings Blade White Knight (synthetic)
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Piacenza
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec Eau De Cologne

This battle was a clear win for me 😎

Beware! The "hug" is a lie.

Shark Super Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #3

TL;DR -
Nice DFS shave, comfortable blade, no blood no drama

Equipment: Merkur 20C, Shark SS(3), CTS Cowboy Spice

The Shave: Shark Super Stainless Blade is doing an excellent job keeping me smooth while not causing any blood or irritation. Good lather with a comfortable blade resulted in a DFS shave.

Shark Platinum Blade (1) Shave (3). ERA L5 SB, Stirling Scot Pine Sheep, Proraso White Pre Shave, Proraso White Balm with Sterling Balm. Anther bloodless excellent shave. Jaws coming up for next shave, going to be a hard act to follow.

Okay. I am behind on my post , the blades have done myself well. Only minor irritation so far though I have not tried the jaws blades yet. I am gonna be using one of them next to see how they perform.. The shark blades have performed similarly to each other so I guess if they are all alike then it doesn't matter which I use...

Sat 30 Shark Week & Blade Challenge 3rd Round
Soap
Yaqi Musketeer Rapier
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Gillette RFB
Blade JAWS Platinum 3rd
Aftershave
Yaqi Musketeer Rapier Splash
The soap lather was good enough but the scent is better and together with the matching splash...wow!!
Use this blade in the vintage razor and boy, what a good pairing. 3 easy comfortable and very efficient passes later...no blood and a dolphin smooth finish! Excellent shave today!!!
20220730_155236.jpg

Shark Platinum edge 1 shave 2. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, Captain's Choice Land Ho! soap, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo.

I was going to use my 45th Parallel soap sample which I love, but my nose was a little blocked so I decided to go with the Land Ho! instead, the scent of which I can take or leave. I took a bit too much, though, so I think I'll be using this on my next shave as well by default.

This was a good solid shave. The irritation I noticed on Thursday was absent (and I cleverly went for my run first so there's no chance of it appearing later), and the blade was singing in the razor. I'm not 100% sure, but it might have been Mack the Knife.

Despite the fearsome graphics this was a very safe feeling shave, and there was no blood in the water.

Today’s Shark week shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend. Doubles as a shark repellent.

Razor: Henson Al13 +++
Blade: Shark Platinum
Soap: Chicago Grooming 40

Brush: Omega 20120
Balm Stirling unscented balm.
Cologne: Tom Ford’s F***ing Fabulous

The Shark Platinum is my favorite Shark blade for the Henson +++. That’s it for shark week it went swimmingly.
Stately BBS

Shark Platinum shave #5
2 day growth

Razor: 66 Slim on 5, 5, 6
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: Hendrix Classics and Co. Beyond the Void
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: Captain's Choice 45th parallel balm

I knew my old friend Slim wouldn't let me down, but just incase there were more sharks than he could handle I brought along my weird little alien octopus friend. Together they kept me safe. No blood, no drama, no nothing expect smooth sailing. This shark platinum easily surpasses the Jaws I used previously. 3 passes left me Baby Seal Smooth.

thumbnail_IMG_1261.jpg

Ok now that Shark week is winding down. I had four shaves during shark week. Here are my rankings of the shark week blades I used. The blades are rated from best to not the best in descending order.
I used the Henson Al13 +++ for all my Shark week shaves.
1. Shark Platinum,
2. Shark Chrome.
3. Shark super stainless.
4. Jaws.
Note: All sharks were catch and release. I don’t want any trouble from the fish police.

shark3.JPGMer.jpg

Fourth shave with the Shark Super Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Purple (24mm Mink)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Well, that didn't last long...

This blade had been steadily improving since its disastrous debut, so I had been expecting an even better shave than the last. Unfortunately, today's outing was sub-par.

It started right away with a WTG pass that felt tuggy and slightly rough. Therefore, I was filled with dread as I began my ATG pass, but it actually felt pretty good! I was filled with hope for a moment, but it all came crashing back to earth as I began my XTG pass. Like the WTG pass, it felt tuggy and rough. 😞

Last time, I was able to buff with a high level of comfort, so I had hoped for a repeat performance. However, that also didn't come to pass as I had to buff quite heavily to get to what I'd estimate as a DFS+. I stopped there as some fairly severe irritation began to take hold.

So, although not completely terrible, the Shark SS couldn't meet the standard for even a mediocre shave. Very disappointing. I will give it another chance, though, because this seems to be more of an issue with consistency than with overall shave quality. This blade has shown that it can deliver a good shave. The problem is finding a way to do it on every outing!

Shark Platinum blade #1, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Proraso Green with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Taconic Synthetic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

A nice shave ending with one weeper that closed up with a cold water rinse. Not as close as it has been. I think this is due to the blade losing some sharpness. I binned this one after the shave today and will go back and finish my Schick PIF challenge and then come back to the Jaws blade for this PIF challenge. I've been pleased with the Shark Platinum, and I'm thinking that it's a 3-4 shave blade for me.

20220730_152056-01-01.jpeg
Outing #6 was another surprising shave with the S³. I expected to scrape the top layer of my skin , but instead, I had a super efficient and dramafree shave with the R41 GT. Two glorious passes with some extended touchups made my skin feel like the skin of a dolphin (pun intended 😜).

BBS.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom