What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - We're Gonna Need A Bigger Razor!!

Jaws blade one, Shave #3

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Graydog palm wood 2-band
Soap: MWF
Splash: Proraso green

Comment: Good prep, great MWF lather, my #1 razor and a very light hand: just enough to avoid the ’love bites’ this blade wanted! Jaws really wanted to bite today!! :a15::a15::a15:

I was just lucky!!

Ok! I've been slacking on the shaving here recently. This morning was Shark Platinum shave #2. It has been a couple days.

I stuck with the Slim on 5 and an Arko Stick. My wife had an unfortunate accident with some hair dye and my shaving brush so I've been kinda "off" with my lather the last couple shaves. Gotta find a new brush similar to my old one.

The shave was a little more pleasant than shave #1. The blade felt sharper, despite the mediocre lather. I tried to really be gentle around my throat since the summer heat and sweat really tends to bring on irritation for me.

Not a bad shave at all, but not outstanding either.

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shaves #5

Last night's shave was still pretty darn good. The Shark Platinum left me with a BBS with a couple painless love bites.

I, again, paired the Shark Platinum with a Fatip Grande and used @COdiak's Frankmenth soap*. I lathered the soap in my Captain's Choice Cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl with my Cherry Semogue Owner's Club finest badger brush. I finished my shave with some Barrister & Mann Terror aftershave splash.

Instead of showering before shaving, I opted to take a shower after shaving this time. I soaked my SOC in a cup of cold water and also soaked an almond sized dollop of the Frankensoap in cold water in my lather bowl for 20 minutes. During this time, I prepared my face and beard by periodically dousing them in (cold) water.

After the soap and brush were soaked sufficiently, I made a thick yogurty lather in my lather bowl. I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG). Before each pass, I wet my face with some bloom water on my face then painted on the lather from my bowl I built a thick and protective layer of lather. I wound up with my usual BBS shave.

The shave was really good but I wound up with painless weepers that appeared out of nowhere. They were easily stopped by my alum block, though. Still, the blade felt as sharp and smooth as with my previous shave.

Afterward, I showered and rinsed off the alum block with some more cold water. I finished my shave by splashing some B&M Terror after shave splash and enjoyed the cooling sensation.

All in all, I would give the shave a 99/100.

*I'm loving how cold it feels in the heat of summer!

5B2758D2-CA53-49B3-9F0D-397E4B9DD5FD.jpeg

It was my pleasure, Richard. Thank you for supplying the Jaws blades for the PIF and for the pleasant email exchange. You are a gentleman.
The pleasure was mine too, Bill. You are more than welcome...till next time...I'm sure there will be more...
Awesome!! The Sharks made it to you before the end of Shark Week!!
Thanks, Herb...just in time for the last shave for Shark Week and my wife loves the stickers...hahaha...

Blade: Jaws - blade #2, shave #7
Razor: Aristocrat
Brush: Star
Soap: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes

It has come to my attention that sharks have no love for citrus🍋, so I thought I would go with some Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes. This stuff smells heavenly. I sure wish they still made the aftershave because this is my last bottle.

Nice shave today, but the Jaws blade has lost some of its sharpness, so I'm sending it to Davy Jones locker. I like these blades a lot.... they actually seem similar in quality to the Sharks.

It was a lot of fun posting in the Shark week thread and I will continue my nautical adventures here in this one.⚓
IMG_2347.JPG

Last edited:
Razor: Gamechanger 84SB

Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Família

Soap: Arko

Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3)

Shave #3 using the Shark Super Stainless.

I didn’t post the first two shaves. I receive a soap sample and I really mess up the lather. Terrible shaves, a lot of weepers, but 100% of the blame was the mediocre lather. So the third shave was with the trusty Arko.

The third shave was smooth and comfortable, except a tiny weeper on the chin. I put a extra pressure and got a weeper.

This blade is very sneaky, very smooth but can bite out of nowhere. Behaves like a shark 🤣

969A0AE8-B922-4456-A172-2E0A4852D174.jpeg

Last edited:
Was it ever established which manufacturer makes the Jaws blades?
Here's a close-up of the packaging that holds 100 blades.

It looks like they are made and sold in Malaysia for the American Safety Razor Company. I'm on the east coast of the United States, so there's a twelve-hour time difference between here and Malaysia. Richard has probably already hit-the-sack, but hopefully, he'll check in tomorrow and offer some insight.
IMG_2348.JPG

Shark Platinum shave #6
1 day growth

Razor: Simple Clean Shave razor
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: Central Texas Soaps Cowboy Spice
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: Stirling Gentleman

What better way to wrap up Shark Week than with my probably new favorite razor, favorite aftershave, and a new soap? The six shooters kept those pesky sharks at bay. I cracked open a new bottle of Stirling Gentleman just to have a proper send off. Those rough and tumble cowboys needed a lesson in manners anyway, so all went well.

3 passes had me the Baby Seal Smooth with no drama that has become par for this blade. There was increased resistance across the grain under my sideburns, so this blade is on it's way out. I guess I'll snap it and throw in my Twig to start out Arko August.

I may not be the best looking guy on the seas, but I'm pretty dang sure I'm the best smelling.

thumbnail_IMG_1273.jpg

Sun 31 Shark Week & Blade Challenge 3rd Round!
Soap
Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor Gillette Goodwill
Blade Shark Super Stainless 3rd
Aftershave
B&M Seville Splash
Top shelf soap for the lather qualities with a nice scent too...enhance by the splash...lovely!
This wonderful blade in the razor provided a good smooth and comfortable shave. 3passes without any issues for a bbs finish. Excellent shave!
20220731_195537.jpg

As an addendum to my other post I thought I would add that the razor used was / is a bevel brand razor head with a shorter and more grippy handle. I found a top cap and bottom plate for a bevel in a shop about a year or a year and a half ago with no handle for 2 USD and tried a gillette handle on it but changed to the current handle and have left it that way since then.. Well with the bevel razor it seems to be able to tame even the most mischievous of blades.. I have enjoyed this challenge and look forward to even more in the future.....

It looks like they are made and sold in Malaysia for the American Safety Razor Company. I'm on the east coast of the United States, so there's a twelve-hour time difference between here and Malaysia. Richard has probably already hit-the-sack, but hopefully, he'll check in tomorrow and offer some insight. View attachment 1497039

I'm in the same time zone. Initially I thought the blades were from the same company that makes Sharp and LOI and others.

That ASR, USA thing is super weird though.

Well continuing on the shark hunt, this morning's shave was pretty much a disaster.

I stuck with the Shark platinum in the slim on #5. As I've been shopping for a new shave brush, I found some Cremo cooling in the closet. I'm not really sure how old the stuff is, but it did not cut the mustard. The razor took an exceptional amount of effort to rinse after every swipe and the end result was harsh and prickly. I'm not even going to go into the aftershave burn.

My first outing with Jaws, same hardware and software used with Shark Platinum. As Jaws approached the double wrapping was nice, fit in my Era nicely. That was the end of the good experience. Jaws rubbed my face with the sides of his jagged teeth, no blood but man was it uncomfortable. Thought after re-lathering may get better, nope Jaws rubbed the sides of the jagged teeth across my face again, ouch!!! but no blood. He looked me in the eyes, turned and swam back into the deep to never be seen again........

Fourth shave with the Shark Platinum blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Maggard Travel-Size (18mm Timber Wolf)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

Another nearly-perfect shave with the Shark Platinum.

My three main passes were all smooth and practically effortless. The ATG pass was particularly comfortable; almost like there was no blade in the razor.

Thankfully, the feeling of extreme sharpness has not re-appeared. Although, there is still a sense that the blade is sharper than average. In use, the FOCS/Shark Platinum pairing feels very efficient.

I did need to buff a bit more than previously, but not excessively. So, in the end, I achieved another easy BBS. :thumbup1:

It looks like they are made and sold in Malaysia for the American Safety Razor Company. I'm on the east coast of the United States, so there's a twelve-hour time difference between here and Malaysia. Richard has probably already hit-the-sack, but hopefully, he'll check in tomorrow and offer some insight. View attachment 1497039

+1! Going by the labeling, Malaysia gets my vote also!!

Jaws blade one, Shave #4 (Survival mode!!)

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons duke 2 best
Soap: Haslinger’s sandalwood
Splash: Speick

Comment: This shave was for SCIENCE!! Under ordinary circumstances I would have binned this blade yesterday. So, very careful and going for ‘beard reduction’ only.

SHOCKINGLY, better than yesterday (8.5/10)!! NO more blood!! :a29::a29:

Thanks you @AnimalCatcher @Grundi and @Chard52142 !!

It was an excellent extended Shark Week PIF! 18 days, 16 shaves, 17 toothy razors.

Here is my summary, without referring to my posts:
Jaws - good blade, good longevity, my most thorough test
Shark Super Stainless - the sharpest feel, an effective blade. It would have gone beyond 4 uses, but I dropped it in the sink and then just binned it.
Shark Platinum - first one I opened was not a talented performer. The second performed at the same level as the Super Stainless. For an exact Shark v Shark evaluation I would have required more shaves.

In razor choices I had a slight bias for vintage over bought-new. Only one mild shaver made the roster.

I have wrapped up my swims for 2022. I have a Jaws and a Shark Super Stainless set aside for 2023. Thanks again!

Top Bottom