What's new

Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!? - Closed!

How very nice of you to think of me, thank you. 🙂

I was supposed to receive a couple of blades from another member but they haven't arrived yet, so I'm not sure what is happening - maybe a postal issue.

I see that I have a PM from @AndyPanda so maybe there is still hope. Thanks again. 👍
After that "ribbing" I gave to you it's the least I could do.
Please know, I only pick on people I like!

TL;DR These blades didn't work for me. But I really appreciate the chance to try them!

I tried to be scientific but that quickly devolved into a haphazard free for all. Not sure if my report will be useful as I am going to be out in left field a bit with a different experience than what I'm reading in other's reports here.

I have really coarse whiskers that are very difficult to cut so I spent extra time with pre-shave prep. Essentially I wash my face with a badger brush and soap and I keep the face wet by spritzing or brushing more water on every couple of minutes while I catch up on email and stuff. I know this sounds extreme but it's really relaxing and I'm retired and nowhere I have to be so I just spend about 15 minutes keeping my beard wet before I even start getting my razor ready. I've also found, to my surprise, that I get the best shaves with cold water.

I get really smooth, close and irritation free shaves with a Feather or Nacet or Gillette Platinum or Perma-Sharp and those four all seem to be at the top of my list for sharpness as they all will slice thru my piano wire beard effortlessly. So, expecting great things from the Polsilver, I planned to pit it against one or all of my top blades - that was the plan anyway.

I started with the Polsilver in my '62 slim adjustable on 5. It felt a bit tuggy to me so after the first stroke, I pulled the blade out and put in a fresh Feather blade as a sanity check and "there it is" that crisp and delicate zing of the feather slicing thru my whiskers. So I pulled out the feather and put in a nacet with about 3 shaves on it already -- and again I felt and heard that crisp slice thru the whiskers. Put the Polsilver back in and again felt the slight tugging.

This little experiment really made me appreciate how cool the TTO is, so much easier and faster to swap blades than a 3 piece razor! :)

I felt like the feather and nacet were just in a whole different league so I went down a few notches and tried an Astra SP. This was sharper than the Polsilver but getting close to apples to apples. I tried a Wilkinson Sword (India) and it was sharper than the Astra IMO. So I tried a Tatra and that felt pretty close to the sharpness level I was experiencing with the Polsilver.

Next I grabbed my 'merica razor (essentially this is a Yates 921-M) to see if that made a difference. I took a few strokes with the Polsilver and then with the Tatra and then with the Astra and again that seemed to be a pretty close match in terms of sharpness vs tug. And all three felt nice and smooth/comfortable they just weren't slicing thru the whiskers as effortlessly as I like. So I went back to the Feather and "zing!" there it was slicing right thru the whiskers. I couldn't see any point in continuing the test so I finished a couple of passes with the 'merica and the feather.

Just for fun, I put the Polsilver in my '60s Tech and did some touchup to catch a few problem spots and I found it worked just fine and was very smooth/comfortable catching the trouble spots on my neck without any irritation.

@Grundi please let me know if there is anyone who wanted to try these blades but was too late to get in on it and I can mail them the remaining Polsilver blades so they can participate.

View attachment 1629589
Sometimes what works amazing for one is a dud for another!! I'm glad you found someone to receive the blades!! No worries at all!! Shaving is very personal and highly biased!! I'm grateful just for a chance to try these blades (good or bad results)!!

Oh boy, my FOMO is really kicking in now as these interesting results are posted. I am finishing out two blades I had already started with this week but will get to the Challenger blades this coming week.

Just curious, what year are these Polsilver blades from?

Polsilver Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!?
Round 1, Shave 1

Tonight the Polsilver made its debut performance in the Blackbird. I was surprised at how much less smooth it felt compared to the Nacet. Not tuggy, but not smooth either. The Nacet glided; the Polsilver let me know it was working. Tonight three full passes were required compared to two for the Nacet.

Round 1, Shave 1 of the Polsilver v. Nacet challenge goes to the Nacet.

IMG_20230330_195418684.jpg

Statum Blade #1 Shave #1
Tools: Henson Medium V2 Razor, Dr. Shelby soap & Plissoft brush.
The Statum blade with Japanese steel gave a smooth close two pass shave with minor touchup this A.M.:thumbup1:
Got some light irritation on my neck but Aqua Velva Ice Blue took care of it.
So far Wizamet Polsilver & Statum blades remain tied IMO.

I decided to try a new vintage Polsilver against a new Nacet in my Rockwell 6C using the R4 plate for the first 2 passes and the R2 plate for the final pass and touchup. Proraso green tube lather for both shaves.

It was a close race but again the vintage Polsilver was not quite as sharp requiring more buffing to achieve BBS. I wonder if they are not so sharp due to age?

So far the Nacet is the winner. I have a few blue box "modern" Polsilver blades and will compare those in an upcoming shave.

20230331_061111.jpg

Challenge Shave - Gillette Silver Blue Blade 1 - Shave 1

TL;DR
- blade feel is similar, little more cleanup, still close ....and a weeper

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 5), Gillette Silver Blue (1), CTS Cowboy Spice

Why a GSB: GSB's have been my bar that I have measured a lot of blades against. It sits at the bottom of my top-tier (lookin up at GPPs, KAIs, and Schicks, sideways at a few peers - KCG, GPs, Dorco Primes, Derby Premiums, and down at nearly everything else - except Feathers and Nacets which are outliers and move around in the list), performs wonderfully without much coaxing, and lasts for several shaves.

The Shave: the first stroke was smooth but not as smooth as the Wizamet Polsilver was; still, the shave was comfortable and close. I did notice that the GSB didn't have quite as much audible feedback and some of my problem areas needed some additional attention. CTS Cowboy Spice is one of my favorite scents; it got the nod for the WP Shave #1, and the GSB Shave #1. The results were a solid DFS shave, with a weeper under my nose after the 2nd pass.

@Calyshaver, although no exact year has been established, based on packaging and other sources, we're placing these blades in the 1st half of the 1980's.

I'll be rating the blades mostly on closeness of shave and minimizing nicks and weepers, with shave comfort and post-shave also being considered. I shave about every other day, and I try to get close to BBS, but am still not skilled enough to pull it off without a little blood most of the time. I don't rate on longevity as long as a blade lasts me a week, but I'll keep using the Polsilver as long as it's in good form since I'd hate to bin a vintage blade before it's done.

My blade preferences have been changing, trending towards sharper blades recently, so I'm going to wimp out on picking my Best Blade and put the Polsilvers against 3 different ones since I don't have a solid favorite right now. First up is Polsilver vs. Indian Wilkinson Sword, and I'm going to try them in both my Henson AL13 medium and AL13 aggressive razors.

EA674F7D-83B9-48DF-8AF7-552F3DC3CC8C.jpeg

I tossed a coin to see which blade goes first, and in which razor. Time to get started!

Challenge PIF Round 1 - Vintage Polsilver Stainless vs. Indian Wilkinson Sword

Indian Wilkinson Sword (1)
Henson AL13 aggressive
AP Shave 24mm G5C rocket engine
Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Nancy Boy signature balm

This is only the second Indian Wilkie I've used, but I'm looking for something in the "sharp enough" category that handles my whiskers easily but hopefully doesn't cut me as often as those in the "super sharp" category. And this blade didn't disappoint today. Only maybe 30 hours or so of growth, but it handled my wiry chin and mustache whiskers with little trouble over 2 passes.

Result is an excellent BBS- with zero weepers. My mustache isn't quite smooth, but barely a missed whisker anywhere else. A bit of irritation under my jawlines, but pretty mild. Polsilver is going to have a hard time keeping up!

Razor: Aristocrat 1948-1950
Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Brush: AP Shave Co. 26mm SynBad
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: MacDuff's Rose Gold
Aftershave: MacDuff's Rose Gold & Rose of Bulgaria

I have not used a modern blade in quite some time, but when I did, my go-to were the Personna Israeli Reds, so that's what I used today. The Personna seemed somewhat smoother and more comfortable than the Polsilver and the result was a nice DFS. I give the nod to the Personna at this early stage of the game.

MacDuff's aftershaves are nice, but if I use too much, I get a tacky feeling on my skin. So, just a touch of the MacDuff's and a splash of Rose of Bulgaria does the trick.

Have a great day everyone.
IMG_3785 (2).JPG

Round 2
Blade: Polsilver 2nd use
Razor Gamechanger .84
Brush Shavemac 24mm D01 Silvertip
Lather B&M Oceanna
Aftershave B&M Oceanna
So, after trying both in the very mild Timeless .68 I thought I'd up the aggression, at least by a smidgen. The Polsilver performed remarkably well giving me a smooth, near BBS shave with only a single pass to the back of the cranium and a smidgen of stubble left behind in the occipital fold. I'll be using the same PMP blade from yesterday tomorrow morning in the Gamechanger, but the obvious conclusion is the Pol definitely benefits from more aggression. Perhaps we'll try an experiment with something really open for round three.

Top Bottom