What's new

Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!? - Closed!

I will be using a 1960's Gillette Tech and Nacet for the Polsilver challenge.
IMG_7363.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Challenge Shave - Gillette Silver Blue Blade 1 - Shave 1

TL;DR
- blade feel is similar, little more cleanup, still close ....and a weeper

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 5), Gillette Silver Blue (1), CTS Cowboy Spice

Why a GSB: GSB's have been my bar that I have measured a lot of blades against. It sits at the bottom of my top-tier (lookin up at GPPs, KAIs, and Schicks, sideways at a few peers - KCG, GPs, Dorco Primes, Derby Premiums, and down at nearly everything else - except Feathers and Nacets which are outliers and move around in the list), performs wonderfully without much coaxing, and lasts for several shaves.

The Shave: the first stroke was smooth but not as smooth as the Wizamet Polsilver was; still, the shave was comfortable and close. I did notice that the GSB didn't have quite as much audible feedback and some of my problem areas needed some additional attention. CTS Cowboy Spice is one of my favorite scents; it got the nod for the WP Shave #1, and the GSB Shave #1. The results were a solid DFS shave, with a weeper under my nose after the 2nd pass.

@Calyshaver, although no exact year has been established, based on packaging and other sources, we're placing these blades in the 1st half of the 1980's.
How dare you mention GSB: the holy grail, Excalibur, Zulfiqar, Tizona of razor blades...in the same sentence as Dorco and Derby?

Challenge Day 4

Incumbent blade - Astra SP

Today's shave...

Razor: New LC
Soap: MWF
Brush: Parker ST
AS: OS Classic

The New LC did not take well to the Polsilver.

Quite possibly the worst shave I ever had with this particular razor.

I will be sticking with my closed comb razors from here on out.

20230331_180212.jpg

Plosilver blade 1/shave 1, better late than never

full

After a rough ride shave yesterday, I was excited but apprehensive about trying this new old blade. I have a small stock of the brown box Polsilvers so I thought I knew what to expect, but the reviews above left me uncertain, which is probably a good reality check.

TLDR: my expectation was correct and I picked the right razor in my lineup for this blade and got a wonderful shave!

full

This is a Tatara Nodachi with Masamune OC plate, know as mini Nodachi. He has a small amount of blade exposure in this configuration, just enough to work with anything as sharp as, or sharper than, a Gillette Platinum or Polsilver SI. But a Nacet starts to get uncomfortable in this razor, especially with a sore face so this choice could have backfired on me.

After a thorough inspection under magnification, due to the concerns above, the blade received the all clear. First thing I appreciate about these, and most vintage, blades is quality of the blade tabs. These being rounded and cut straight, it's the little things. I am not going to belabour this too much, for me this felt like a King C blade. They aren't as sharp as Wilkinson Swords from this era, nor any smoother. Those give me some trouble due to their sharpness because you can't feel anything until the end and then the red dots appear. They have a lot more in common with the first Wilkinson Sword blades from the late sixties. These are under that threshold I am certain, but may not be any sharper than a Polsilver SI. But I think they are a little bit. I can't imagine that these are only as sharp as an Astra SP because I use those in my Blackbird and they aren't enough sharpness in this razor for me.

The second pass against the grain pretty much cemented my initial observations. These have to be pretty smooth considering how sensitive my face felt the whole shave that they didn't feel like they were making things worse. No I should not have shaved ATG, no it wasn't entirely comfortable, but in the end I am glad I did.

I have to say that my first experience with this blade was a positive one. It didn't start out tuggy like some Platinum blades do nor did I expect it would. It didn't feel like it was getting any sharper throughout the shave, which would be bad for me. I only use one edge at a time so this edge has the equivalent of two shaves on it and it felt the same from start to finish.

full

Seven or so hours later, my face feels no worse than it did when I woke up and my neck is actually better than before the shave! The shave is pretty even, not 100%, but as good as I have ever been able to do with this razor due to the small blade exposure compared to my daily Blackbird. My face is as smooth as I expect it to be at this point and don't anticipate much stubble feel before bed time. What I have done here is trade a slightly sharper blade than I normally use for quite a bit less blade exposure and it appears to have worked. The OC really helped keep my skin from being shaved dry. For the next few shaves, I will keep things brief. I am not sure what the plan is at this point, I expect to get four shaves out of this blade!

Razor: Aristocrat 1948-1950
Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Brush: AP Shave Co. 26mm SynBad
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: MacDuff's Rose Gold
Aftershave: MacDuff's Rose Gold & Rose of Bulgaria

I have not used a modern blade in quite some time, but when I did, my go-to were the Personna Israeli Reds, so that's what I used today. The Personna seemed somewhat smoother and more comfortable than the Polsilver and the result was a nice DFS. I give the nod to the Personna at this early stage of the game.

MacDuff's aftershaves are nice, but if I use too much, I get a tacky feeling on my skin. So, just a touch of the MacDuff's and a splash of Rose of Bulgaria does the trick.

Have a great day everyone.View attachment 1629944
Off topic but what kind of towel is this? It looks so luxurious.

Had 2 shaves with Polsilver. Both times it gave me smooth nice shaves somewhere between DFS and BBS. I think I probably need to increase the aggression on my Merkur Progress to get a BBS with less touch ups.
It’s a nice blade but I still need some practice to get the same result as with my favourite Wilkinson (Germany). Which is fair enough given that I’ve been using Wilkinson for nearly 2 years.

Today’s SOTD

8A19B82A-3970-441B-AFC5-9B7B70BD43D6.jpeg

sotd 1-4

First shave with the Polsilver blade. I am going for (at least) 3 times in the same razor. But will alternate with my comparison blade, the Personne lab blue (comfort coated).
Usually the first shave with a blade is not the most comfortable one for me, but this one was the positive exception, even in the Lupo. Did get 1 small cut just under the nose, but that was a typical user error. So very good and nice shave on it's first shave.

Razorock Lupo SS 0.95 SB with UFO handle
Polsilver Stainless vintage
Omega 10049
Tabac Original
Tabac AS
Balea Men Energy ASB

proxy.php

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
First shave today with the Polsilver, in my trusty English Gillette Goodwill, with Yardley soap lathered with a Semogue brush, and Max Factor aftershave to finish. My only other vintage blades are 1970s Jewels made in Sheffield, England and it is against these I am comparing the Polsilvers.

20230401_102140~2.jpg

From the first stroke the Polsilver is clearly superior - the Jewel is always tuggy on the first shave, so much so that I often strop them prior to use. By comparison, the Polsilver is extremely smooth to the point of being too smooth, you can barely feel it. The sharpness is perfect for me - I dislike blades which are too sharp so Feather, Nacet, and Bic are not for me, even my Wilkinson Swords are a bit much some times. I was actually smiling at how good these blades are, the big test is if they can maintain their performance over subsequent shaves. For a single, one off shave, these are without doubt some of the best blades I have ever tried, I am shocked at how good they are. Looking forward to the next shave.

Last edited:
Statum Blade #1 Shave #2
Tools: Henson Medium V2 Razor, Arko Soap & Plissoft brush.
Another close & smooth two pass shave this A.M.
It was like going down Pikes Peak on a Bobsled.:w00t:
I will go back to the Wizamet Polsilver Brown Wrapper tomorrow using the Razorock Lupo .58 gap razor.
The call of the wild awaits.:yikes:

Challenge Day 3

Blade:
Polsilver Stainless
Razor: Post War NDC Gillette SuperSpeed
Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Brush: Simpson KH4 Best Badger
Humphrey's Grapefruit Toner WH
Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Friday's shave..As with my 1st shave with this combo, one pass sufficed for my cheeks.

The first two days in this challenge went so smoothly, that I decided for Round 2 to skip the downward pass on my neck and only do 2 passes plus buffing.

On my neck my 1st pass was upward (XTG), and 2nd right to left (ATG). That got me to the BBS/DFS border. A little clean-up buffing in a couple of stubborn areas finished the job.

Result: A DFS/BBS shave with no drama during or after the shave.

Challenge Day 4

Blade:
Personna Med Prep from Accutec
Razor: Post War NDC Gillette SuperSpeed
Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger
Humphrey's Grapefruit Toner WH
Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today's shave..As with my 1st shave with this combo, one pass sufficed for my cheeks.

On my neck my 1st pass was upward (XTG), and 2nd right to left (ATG). That got me to the BBS/DFS border. A little clean-up buffing in a couple of stubborn areas finished the job.

Result: A DFS/BBS shave with no drama during or after the shave, but a tiny bit closer than with the Polsilver.

Therefore, Round 2 also goes to the Med Prep by a whisker.

What do you think of the Stirling Scots Pine Sheep, particularly the smell, and do you have the aftershave?
Performance-wise it's excellent, easy to produce thick, rich, slick lather. Scent-wise it's a little more muted than Stirling Coniferous, and a lot more restrained than the B&M Latha Taiga.
I don't use splashes, just balms, so I've never tried the Scots Pine Sheep aftershave. Sorry.
She politely smelled my experimental Brut Puck, and absolutely loved the scent! No lie doggone!
Of course, she absolutely loves Arko as well! Though she does say that she thinks they both smell like a cleaning solution.... maybe having Covid twice has affected her sense of smell?

Wait - What ?!? You're an Arko-nut and you're worried about another soaps smell??? It does not compute!

Last edited:
Top Bottom