What's new

Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!? - Closed!

B66EC180-BE34-47AD-A103-170AE54A49CC.jpeg

They made it to Florida, the fun begins on Friday for me!

Challenge Day 1

Incumbent blade - Astra SP

Today's shave...

Razor: Post War FH Tech
Soap: The one loved by the world!
Brush: Stirling synth Tux

Shaved one side of my face with the Astra SP (new) and the other with the Polsilver.

The Polsilver side was a rather smooth shave, and provided a great two pass shave.

The Astra delivered the usual results. A great two pass shave.

Results (YES, RESULTS...NOT MILEAGE!):001_smile

For today's shave and it goes to

A DRAW

20230328_163127.jpg

For tomorrow's shave, the razor choice will be the BH FT SS.

Til tomorrow...

May the Best Blade Win - Shave 2

This was the second MtBBW shave for me. The first was on Sunday, using the same equipment listed below, except shave #1 was done entirely with the Wizamet Iridium Super (Wiz IR). That shave was a bloodless, irritation free BBS, and with three days growth versus today's two day growth shave.

Unlike uber smooth shave #1, today's shave felt slightly tuggy from the outset, and somewhat less comfortable. After three passes, some touch-ups refused to surrender, so out of curiosity, I popped in the Wiz IR, which made short work of them. In fairness to the Polsilver, the "Pre" for shave #1 was a leisurely hot shower, which may have prepped the skin better. Also, it is possible that my skin was "better rested" for shave #1 after three days rest. Nevertheless, IMO there is no arguing with how much better the Wiz IR handled the touch-ups. So for me, the result of shave #2 is ...

Advantage Wizamet Iridium Super

2023-03-28D sotd.jpeg

Pre ..... Hot water splash/soak
Brush ... Omega EVO 2.0 Special Cardinal
Soap .... Los Jabones de Joserra Orris Root
Razor ... Blackland BlackBird Ti Satin
Blade ... Wizamet Polsilver (Brown)
Blade ... Wizamet Iridium Super (selected touch-ups only)

1st shave with the Polsilver blade that arrived today. I've been using my last Polsilver Stainless for the past (7) shaves, blade has more recent bolder printing, they have been very good shaves. Tonight's shave started out just like a Feather or the PS blade, about half way through the first pass, smoothed out. I could tell was going to be a really good shave, after completing the first pass, rinsed, could pass for a VGS. Lathered up, 2nd pass was very comfortable, usual problem areas much less buffing than normal. Tonights shave rates one of the best shaves ever, in a couple days will see if it's repeatable. Blackland Era #5 SB, Proraso pre shave, Stirling Sheep, Stirling balm. Polsilver :thumbup:

Wizamet Polsilver Brown wrapper.
Blade #1 Shave #1
Tools: Henson Medium V2 Razor, Dr. Selby Soap & Plissoft Brush.
Got a nice smooth close two pass shave this A.M. with some minor touchup.
The Henson with the Polsilver blade was unstoppable like a Porsche with no brakes.:w00t:
No tugging noted with the Polsilver.
Will do another shave tomorrow & then do two shaves with the Statum Japanese steel blade sputtered with Platinum & Chromium. :thumbup1:

Challenge Shave - Wizamet Polsilver Blade 1 - Shave 1

TL;DR -
smooth from the outset, no breakin, close shave, no weepers

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 4), Wizamet Polsilver (1), CTS Cowboy Spice Soap

1st Impressions: could not tell this was a 40 year old blade, unwrapped like a modern, no hints of aging

The Shave: I thought that it would be appropriate to pair the Wizamet Polsilver with a vintage razor, and the Gillette Slim is one of my favorite. Whipped up a nice Cowboy Spice lather (the scent is great, and lather is decent), slathered up, and got to work. From the 1st stroke, this blade felt smooth and shaved close. I may have held the blade back by keeping the razor on setting 4; still, a very good shave (DFS+) with no weepers.

First shave with the Wizamet Polsilver
Razor Timless Ti with .68 SB
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Clubman Cognac Neat
Biggest surprise is this was the first "vintage" that was not rough the first shave. Very smooth, good audible feedback. I would give it a 4.5 out of 5. Not the closest shave I've had, but definitely comfortable and smooth enough for being in public. Always a good test is how it performs ATG on the back of my head. This was smooth, even some of the best blades give me a bit of a tug around the occipital bump. Not this. Tomorrow will be the same set up with a Personna Med Prep. I'm thinking right now the PMP will be closer, but probably not as comfortable.

First, again, HUGE thanks to @Space_Cadet and @Grundi!! What a terrific idea and your generosity is wonderful. I've never shaved with a vintage blade, this is a real treat.

I had my first shave with the Polsilver this morning, so just sharing very initial thoughts. I used a Game Changer 84p for a good sense of the blade, but not one that was too blade-forward or no bladefeel at all. The Polsilver was quite smooth and had good sharpness to it. My first impression is it is in the range of blades that are sharp enough to cut my whiskers, but not as sharp as a Nacet. I call that medium-sharp (not medium, not sharp-sharp). Other blades I use in this range are the Astra Blue Stainless and the Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India. I really like those blades, so the comparison is a compliment to the Polsilver.

Just by first impressions, it seems to be a great blade in that category of sharpness. I look forward to hearing from everyone else on this fun ride and I'll share more too. Thanks again!

I'm 2 shaves in and here are my initial impressions.

My top blade for comparison is the Gillette Nacet.

I used the vintage Polsilver first in my Tatara Masamune with Nodachi top cap. After just a few strokes I could tell that it was not quite as sharp as the Nacet but was a bit smoother. This was a bit of a surprise to me as I have used a few of the "modern" blue box Polsilvers and they seemed very sharp. I got an excellent BBS shave with the vintage Polsilver blade, I would rate this shave on par with the Nacet. I call this shave a tie 10.0 to 10.0.

Today's shave was with the vintage Polsilver blade on its second use in my Blackbird Lite with very much the same result as yesterday; definitely not quite as sharp but smooth. Another excellent BBS shave but I believe I would give a slight win to the Nacet because I had to do quite a bit of buffing in my tough areas because the vintage Polsilver needs a bit more sharpness. I rate this shave at Polsilver 9.9 and Nacet 10.0.

Of course, these ratings for the Nacet are from my memory of past shaves. I'll be doing some back-to-back shaves with the vintage Polsilver vs the Nacet in the same razors coming up next.

One item to note that I really like is the vintage Polsilvers are double-wrapped with no wax/glue/goo. Nacets have so much goo on them I tear the wrapper getting it off.

20230329_093252.jpg

First sighting of the Polsilvers on this side of the pond? A very welcome letter arrived today with my blades.

However, this is a little disappointing as I'm off on my holidays on Friday so it will be hard to make a direct comparison (unless I do two full weeks with one razor, one soap, one brush). I had been looking forward to looking forward to finding these blades on my return.

I suspect I won't be able to resist, I'll just have to pack my favourite brush and see if I can fit a extra soap or two somewhere in the family suitcase.

First, many thanks to @Space_Cadet and @Grundi!!

Challenge Day 1

Blade:
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless
Razor: Post War NDC Gillette SuperSpeed
Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Brush: Rubberset 400 re-knotted with TGN badger
Humphrey's Grapefruit Toner WH
Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today's shave..It seemed appropriate to pair the Wizamet Polsilver Stainless with a vintage razor, and the Gillette NDC SuperSpeed is one of my favorites. From the start, this blade felt smooth and shaved close. One pass sufficed for my cheeks. On my neck my 1st pass was downward, 2nd upward, and 3rd right to left. That got me to the BBS/DFS border. A little clean-up buffing in a couple of stubborn areas finished the job.

Result: a very good shave (BBS-) with no drama during or after the shave. I say BBS- because my fingertips detected a slightly different texture in a couple of spots, even though that difference didn't feel like stubble, regardless of which direction I stroked.

I had my first shave with the vintage Polsilver blades this morning. This is an incredible opportunity to try these vintage blades, and I’d like to thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for making it all possible. Thank you! I’ve wanted to try the old Polsilver blades for a long time now. My current favorite DE blade, and the blade I’m planning to compare, is the most recent Polsilver from about 4 or 5 years ago.

Well, I have to say that I got an extremely close shave with the vintage blades in my SS Blackbird SB, this morning. I’ve been experimenting with GEM razors for a little while now, so it’s been a while since I’ve used a DE blade at all. However, based on my memory of the more modern Polsilver, my initial reaction is that the more modern version is a bit smoother in feel and glides on my face a little better. I’m planning to finish the vintage blade to evaluate its longevity and then change to the more recent versions to cement that comparison in my mind. It’s been about six hours since I’ve shaved and my face is still like glass, so I’m guessing that I won’t be shaving tomorrow.

Blade: Vintage Wizamet Polsilver
Razor: Blackbird SS SB
Lather: Master Soap Creations - Apricot Pie shaving soap
Brush: Simpsons Duke 3 Pure Badger
Aftershave routine: Osma alum block, Dickinson’s witch hazel, Lucky Tiger face tonic, Arko Olive Oil moisturizer
Aftershave: Floid - The Genuine

It's another stormy day here in Northern California and the postman came very late but brought the vintage Polsilver blades :)

I've already had my shave earlier so I'm deciding how best to test these blades tomorrow. I am thinking I might go full on geek and move the blade from razor to razor during my shave to get a sense of what it pairs with best. I'd switch between strokes on the same pass - so same direction, just different parts of my face.

I'm thinking I'll try it in a Slim or SuperSpeed or maybe a Tech -- and then something open comb like a Fatip or R41 or Masamune OC -- and I'll try it in a 'merica (essentially same as Yates 921M) interesting because that puts quite a lot more angle on the blade -- and maybe a slant if I have enough whiskers left.

Big thanks to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for the opportunity to try these blades!

Challenge Day 2

Incumbent blade - Astra SP

Today's shave...

Razor: BH FT SS
Soap: LaToja
Brush: RR 400 Plissoft
AS: Nivea balm

Two pass shave with the Polsilver.
Blade paired nicely with the SS.
20230329_172448.jpg

Effortless shave without any runs, drips, or errors.

I would give the edge slightly to...

Polsilver

Tomorrow's shave will be with the Slim.

473616CF-5F2F-4D12-9221-9269DB37DD61.jpeg
They are here!!

I am one lucky raccoon dog, barely masking up and insinuating myself into the queue before the deadline.

Łódź - a word, a place to cast a spell over DE shavers

Łódzkie Zakłady Wyrobów Metalowych - the dreamland itself....

If a humble tanuki can obtain a dispensation, I want to compare the Polish Prince to an idealized Japanese samurai. We all know they carry two blades, katana and wakizashi.

Imagine a shave with the best Nippon can offer - the sharpness standard - Feather.

And, in the samurai's other razor... Kai, smooth and efficient, the whisker never even knows it has been severed.... until it washes down the drain.

Can Polsilver match, nay, exceed this standard? That is the Challenge!!

Top Bottom