What's new

Carry Revolver - What are the options?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Ruger LCR is available in 357, 38SPC+P, 9mm, and 327 Federal.

The 327 has 6 rounds and offers several ammunition types 32SW long, 32 HR Mag, and full power 327 Federal Mag.

The 327 us a great choice for people with small hands or other physical limitation. The gun is very soft shooting.

The LCR trigger is excellent.

Not to contradict my own self, but I might have to buy an LCR in 9mm next....

The trigger on those things are..... nuttin' short of amazing, even the .22 makes me look good! The "cam" action on them is just sweet. My LCR in .357 I can shoot .38's through all day. 5 rounds of .357 are enough for me to prove my manhood to myself; I'll leave those for my GP100, lol!

But I'm trying to convince the War Department that the 9mm would pay for itself in ammo cost savings!!!

No, she ain't believin' me gents.

I’ve owned a Ruger SP101. I loved the gun, but the thing weighed a ton! So it got very little hip time And was never slipped into a pocket in a pinch. Ever. Ultimately the trigger started to seize, so I sent it to buddy to fix - he did, then bought it off me. I didn’t miss it. But now I want another revolver, but for different reasons. You really have to think about what you're going to do with the thing.

I want a revolver that I can just throw it in my pocket when I need it, no fuss. Especially when I’m working on my new lot - probably loaded with snake shot. There’s quite a few cottonmouths there, and my mutt is as dumb as a bag of hammers. That and being able to take on the mountain lion that reportedly lurks there with 38’s is a nice touch. Of course, I’ve never met a Kansan that didn’t claim there were lions around lol. I’ve never seen one. Seen meth heads in the bush though.

Anyway, I decided on the 442 Pro. No lock, and moon clips. I prefer black.

1580780031060.jpeg

At 14.6 oz, this thing is going to be a pleasure! To carry. Especially in the summer when I’m landscaping. Perfect! I’ll change out the springs to lighten the pull. But... but it’s not going to be as much fun to shoot compared to a K frame, Ruger or even a Kimber that weighs considerably more.

Thats the price you pay for weight savings though. If I didn’t care so much about weight and pocket-ability, there’s no question I’d go with this:

1580780398650.jpeg

Here’s a great write up on it.

But it’s considerably heavier and the price difference is considerable as compared to the 442 or 642.

A K frame would be awesome, but too hard to “pack” in a pocket. And in case you’re wondering, Rutgers LCR’s do not fit my hand well. Yup, the 442 is my compromise.

I’m in no rush because ultimately I don’t need “shot” to hit a snake, as convenient as it is. But that’s (442) what I’m going to pick up when I get around to ordering it. I can’t wait really. I love revolvers. I wonder what time the gun store closes at.

FarmerTan

People have been carrying 4 inch barrel .357s for decades. They are much easier to shoot than a snub. A 4 inch is as easy to conceal as a snub if you carry IWB and put on the right stocks.

Yep! I carry my 4" GP100 in my Vedder IWB. It's "tuckable" and I've fallen asleep on it in my Lazyarseboy recliner more times than I can count. In the 4 o'clock position and my shirt tucked in it disappears. But that thing weighs a ton compared to a snubbie.

FarmerTan

They are surprisingly accurate for snub-nose ... yes, even in my hands.
Only once have I felt under-gunned with the SP on the hip & it was up in NW WY on the N. Tongue River. I can still hear my fishing pal laughing his bum off behind the camera 😄
That my friend is a very good looking day. You should pull out that photo and look at it any time you are having a not good day.

FarmerTan

9 oz. more is nothing when hiking/backpacking; it's significantly more on your belt otherwise, though. Wish I had the scandi or titanium snub!

AA
But your hand wouldn't like you anymore after a trip to the range...

9 oz. more is nothing when hiking/backpacking; it's significantly more on your belt otherwise, though. Wish I had the scandi or titanium snub!

AA
My S&W 342 has a scandium alloy frame and Titanium cylinder. Published weight is 10.8 oz. It hurts to shoot. If it had k frame size grips I think it would be ok. I use a pocket carry, and my wife kept seeing the butt showing in my pocket, so I retired it and got a little Sig P939 9mm, which is much easier to conceal, more comfortable to shoot and gives me a couple of extra rounds.

Nice thing about the Colts. Steel frames handle +P and Magnum loads pretty well. Even more so with the stock Hogue grips (which are so homely and cumbersome). The VZ grips are a good compromise; they are easier to conceal, fit my hand well, and are a sight nicer looking...I think.
54DDA8EC-F089-4E6A-94B2-8553ADB5FAE5.jpeg
4A31CD56-3585-4F14-96F5-8EFFFE4B2DFA.jpeg

Last edited:
I like snub nosed revolvers and have been shooting them for over a half century now. I prefer shooting the all steel models but also find the Airweight versions easier to carry and conceal. I have small revolvers from Colt, S&W, Taurus and Charter Arms. The Detective Special is probably my favorite and what I have used the last couple qualifying rounds I've shot.

proxy.php

My modern Charter Arms has been reliable and accurate and the company has been the nicest to work with. I haven't needed any warranty work but did work with them to get a bobbed hammer to change it from hammered to hammerless.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Taurus is also modern and slightly larger than the Charter Arms and Smiths "J" frames. It's been reliable and accurate but simply feels less polished and precise than any of the others.

proxy.php

One of my Smiths is modern, the Airweight but the others are all ones I've owned for many decades. Two are hammerless, the Airweight and an early Centennial Lemon Squeezer and the third is a pre-model numbers Chiefs Special.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you are thinking about a snub nosed revolver then an essential resource is the Snubnose Files. It is a compendium of just about everything you need to learn related to the tiny wheelies.
This Charter Arms has my attention. What model and caliber is that?

Not to contradict my own self, but I might have to buy an LCR in 9mm next....

The trigger on those things are..... nuttin' short of amazing, even the .22 makes me look good! The "cam" action on them is just sweet. My LCR in .357 I can shoot .38's through all day. 5 rounds of .357 are enough for me to prove my manhood to myself; I'll leave those for my GP100, lol!

But I'm trying to convince the War Department that the 9mm would pay for itself in ammo cost savings!!!

No, she ain't believin' me gents.
The recoil on the 9mm is more like the 357.
It's a nice gun...but for carry maybe 357 with weak 357 rounds or hot 38+p.
If the moon clips bend on 9mm; it will NOT work. I guess you can reload manually 5 rds, use them and then run....

My local gun store. They have the normal stuff in stock, but this gun has to come from the distributor.

I have the 38 and 357 models already. The 327 is still kind of underground.

The LCR provides 6 rounds in this caliber vs 5 in the other models, and with actual 327 Magnums, it approaches 357 performance.

Top Bottom