What's new

Federal 9mm HST +P 124gr short barrel results: Kahr PM9 vs S&W 940-1

I had my first outing at the range to use my new Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph. One of the tests I wanted to do was the Federal 9mm HST 124 gr +P ammo that I use in two different pocket guns, the Kahr PM9 and the S&W 940-1. I wanted to see what the velocity would be in these short-barrel guns, and what kind of velocity loss there might be in the revolver with the barrel/cylinder gap versus the semi-auto. I was surprised by the results.

Here's the five-shot results for the Kahr PM9, with the stated 3.1" barrel:
  • Five-shot average: 1,113 fps, with energy of 341 fp.
Here's the five-shot results for the S&W 940-1, with the stated 2" barrel:
  • Five-shot average: 1,151 fps, with energy of 365 fp.
I was pretty surprised by the results. They're virtually identical, with the revolver winning out by a little bit. While the PM9 has a stated barrel length of 3.1", we know that the true barrel length for bullet travel purposes is 2.35" (3.1" - 0.75" case length), while the revolver is a true 2". The revolver also has the free-run length of the cylinder length for the bullet to travel before it makes the jump to the barrel, and that length gives the powder more time to act against the bullet.

Anyway, there's the outcome. I was happy to see that the little guns still are packing a pretty good punch.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm a big fan of the PM 9, carried mine today. Thanks for sharing your experience with your new Garmin chrono!

NY makes it very difficult to carry on a daily basis. My office has a no firearms allowed policy and there would definitely be consequences if I were ever caught carrying. However, if I am ever in a state that is more respectful of our constitutional rights, a pocket carry is something I would really want to look into. While small, they will still make anyone looking to do harm think twice about it. Nice to see you are getting good results.

NY makes it very difficult to carry on a daily basis. My office has a no firearms allowed policy and there would definitely be consequences if I were ever caught carrying. However, if I am ever in a state that is more respectful of our constitutional rights, a pocket carry is something I would really want to look into. While small, they will still make anyone looking to do harm think twice about it. Nice to see you are getting good results.

Everyone has to do what's right for them. Fortunately, my boss, the owner of the company, is as big a "gun guy" as I am, so there's no issue with me carrying concealed. But if he didn't, I would do it anyway. I can always get another job. I can't get another life if I'm severely injured or killed by a scumbag while on my way to work because I didn't have my gun because the snowflakes at work wouldn't like it if they knew.

Everyone has to do what's right for them. Fortunately, my boss, the owner of the company, is as big a "gun guy" as I am, so there's no issue with me carrying concealed. But if he didn't, I would do it anyway. I can always get another job. I can't get another life if I'm severely injured or killed by a scumbag while on my way to work because I didn't have my gun because the snowflakes at work wouldn't like it if they knew.
Unfortunately, getting caught in NY is more likely to mean not only loosing a job but jail time. It's an odd state. The government is constantly getting taken to court for constitutional violations.

NYC is even weirder then NY State, knew a gentleman who had business in Bronx, he had NYC CCW. It was valid Fridays 10A - 2P, that was went he was to do his Banking. Business did a lot of Cash Transactions.

Assume the other times of week he was on his own, and there was no crime.

Top Bottom