What's new

Carry Revolver - What are the options?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m leaning toward the S&W 642.

But what else is out there? Concealed or Open, no preference to me.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I like snub nosed revolvers and have been shooting them for over a half century now. I prefer shooting the all steel models but also find the Airweight versions easier to carry and conceal. I have small revolvers from Colt, S&W, Taurus and Charter Arms. The Detective Special is probably my favorite and what I have used the last couple qualifying rounds I've shot.

proxy.php

My modern Charter Arms has been reliable and accurate and the company has been the nicest to work with. I haven't needed any warranty work but did work with them to get a bobbed hammer to change it from hammered to hammerless.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Taurus is also modern and slightly larger than the Charter Arms and Smiths "J" frames. It's been reliable and accurate but simply feels less polished and precise than any of the others.

proxy.php

One of my Smiths is modern, the Airweight but the others are all ones I've owned for many decades. Two are hammerless, the Airweight and an early Centennial Lemon Squeezer and the third is a pre-model numbers Chiefs Special.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you are thinking about a snub nosed revolver then an essential resource is the Snubnose Files. It is a compendium of just about everything you need to learn related to the tiny wheelies.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
B1E83990-7982-4690-B85E-EA7DE316D07A.jpeg

I carry this Airweight Bodyguard about 30% of the time. This model is not +P rated, but I believe newer ones are. Not bad to shoot with standard pressure loads with 125 or 130 gr. bullets. I have shot a limited number of +P rounds through it and carry +P in it for defensive use. Uncomfortable to shoot with heavy weight bullets or +P rounds. anyways.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like snub nosed revolvers and have been shooting them for over a half century now. I prefer shooting the all steel models but also find the Airweight versions easier to carry and conceal. I have small revolvers from Colt, S&W, Taurus and Charter Arms. The Detective Special is probably my favorite and what I have used the last couple qualifying rounds I've shot.

proxy.php

My modern Charter Arms has been reliable and accurate and the company has been the nicest to work with. I haven't needed any warranty work but did work with them to get a bobbed hammer to change it from hammered to hammerless.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Taurus is also modern and slightly larger than the Charter Arms and Smiths "J" frames. It's been reliable and accurate but simply feels less polished and precise than any of the others.

proxy.php

One of my Smiths is modern, the Airweight but the others are all ones I've owned for many decades. Two are hammerless, the Airweight and an early Centennial Lemon Squeezer and the third is a pre-model numbers Chiefs Special.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you are thinking about a snub nosed revolver then an essential resource is the Snubnose Files. It is a compendium of just about everything you need to learn related to the tiny wheelies.

Beauties and great info!

Long live the snubbies. I love shooting my Ruger SP101, but frequently carry a lighter, six-shooter ... Which is less fun to shoot.

Thought long and hard about getting the local GS to bore out the SP101 to take magnum rounds - this can be safely done - but there is almost no advantage in this; today's +P+ .38 ammo is enough!

AA

0B22CE39-D50A-413C-AAAE-F76CF478147C.jpeg

The J-frame (S&W Model 442 shown here) is always an excellent choice. It's a weapon which is silly easy to carry and conceal. It's effectiveness has withstood the test of time for decades. If you are looking for something with a bit more heft (and a higher price tag) the Colt Cobra (or King Cobra if a tad more size works for you) are other very viable choices
5138588E-EE8A-4E34-B386-83E91BF0EE79.jpeg
EC74C50E-4C1C-4A2D-813D-89D630A69741.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The 442 is nice option too I think. The Colt Cobra I also like the looks of.

Assuming all these are double action?

642 is my favorite snubbie, I don’t own others, but tried a few out when I bought the smith. Pocket concealed easily and with +p it’s a lot but doable.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Models with fully enclosed hammers such as the S&W 442 and the lemon squeezer are obviously DA only, those with shrouded and partially exposed hammers, like my Airweight, can be cocked and shot SA, if desired.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Models with fully enclosed hammers such as the S&W 442 and the lemon squeezer are obviously DA only, those with shrouded and partially exposed hammers, like my Airweight, can be cocked and shot SA, if desired.

PM sent. :)

I have many of the guns mentioned. I prefer the Colt D frames....Agent, Detective Special, Cobra, 2017 Cobra, Diamondback and so on because they are 6 shooters.

If I were carry revolver shopping, I would be scouring the stores and shows for a few decades old Smith or Colt. I believe the fit and finish is better on the old guns.

Top Bottom