What's new

Suggestions for a leather holster for 4 in. L frame revolver.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm looking to upgrade from the standard "hunter" type holster for my S&W 4 in. 686. I want leather, OWB and well "boned" for easy one handed re-holstering. Not intending to carry concealed, so a straight drop may be considered, as opposed to a high ride pancake style. More of a range or "woods" holster. If money and time were of no concern, I'd definitely be getting a Milt Sparks 200 AW. May get one anyways, but open to other suggestions for a quality holster. What are your suggestions?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Clarification: perhaps "boned" is not the right phrase, I don't need to see the outline of the gun, I just want the holster to stay open with the gun out. The MS 200 AW is certainly not "boned", but stays open and fairly rigid, if that makes sense. I have a 200AW for my S&W N frame Mountain guns, but it's too loose for the L frame.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm waiting on a couple holsters from Wes Dahl Privateer Leather. For shorter turn around times I've had good luck with Bullard Leather.

Not sure Davis Leather is still in business, in Ash Fork, AZ but they do good stuff also. Order from Milt Sparks as they take no deposit, and you have 6 months to save for delivery.

For my EDC I use custom holsters made by a local artisan , however I have several holsters by MTR Custom Leather, including the ones I use when I go hunting and I have always been very pleased with their quality. You may want to take a look.

SideGuard Holsters are very nice & well formed.
IMG_20230121_105553328.jpg

Reasonably priced too.

IMG_5407.jpeg
IMG_3443.jpeg
IMG_2071.jpeg
IMG_0986.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

Quite a few good options out there. Here are a few examples.
Andrews, Ritchie, Grizzle, Kirkpatrick, Sparks.

Last edited:
Ryan Grizzle does make an exceptionally fine holster. I rank him as a top tier maker along with Sam Andrews, the Ritchie Brothers, Milt Sparks and a couple others. Sad thing is the wait......

I no longer have that exact holster, but....I do have the same model/style for a different pistol (Sig Sauer P220). Here is the reverse.
Also shown is the same style for a somewhat smaller (CZ 75C) sidearm.
It is essentially a take off of the Bruce Nelson Avenger style of holster. A classic indeed.
IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpeg

I’ve always thought of myself as a “can do” person. (Mic drop…always straight)😳.
I crack myself up sometimes 😁

Top Bottom