What's new

Carry Revolver - What are the options?

I've fired a couple revolvers, and own one. Some basic lessons I've learned are:

.357 magnum serves no useful purpose in a barrel less than 4 inches. 6 inches is the preferable length IMO. In short barrels all it does is create a large and loud fireball and wrench your weapon upward with great force. Not enough of the explosion energy is transferred to the projectile in a short barrel for it to be worth the recoil.

Firing DA is very inaccurate, especially with a short barrel. SA, on the other hand, with a longer barrel, is very accurate. LDA, with an enclosed hammer, is a good compromise for a stubby meant to be used point-blank.

So, in short, IMO. For a concealed carry "point-blank" revolver, get a stubby barrel model with LDA and an internal hammer that fires .38 special.

For a field weapon in open carry, get a 6 inch barrel model that fires SA/DA with good sights, that fires any of the available magnum rounds. Magnum .357 rounds are popular and affordable.

If you want a compromise, get a 3 or 4 inch barrel that fires SA/DA with .38 +P ammunition.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've fired a couple revolvers, and own one. Some basic lessons I've learned are:

.357 magnum serves no useful purpose in a barrel less than 4 inches. 6 inches is the preferable length IMO. In short barrels all it does is create a large and loud fireball and wrench your weapon upward with great force. Not enough of the explosion energy is transferred to the projectile in a short barrel for it to be worth the recoil.

Firing DA is very inaccurate, especially with a short barrel. SA, on the other hand, with a longer barrel, is very accurate. LDA, with an enclosed hammer, is a good compromise for a stubby meant to be used point-blank.

So, in short, IMO. For a concealed carry "point-blank" revolver, get a stubby barrel model with LDA and an internal hammer that fires .38 special.

For a field weapon in open carry, get a 6 inch barrel model that fires SA/DA with good sights, that fires any of the available magnum rounds. Magnum .357 rounds are popular and affordable.

If you want a compromise, get a 3 or 4 inch barrel that fires SA/DA with .38 +P ammunition.
What pray tell is LDA?

Firing DA is very inaccurate, especially with a short barrel.
SA, on the other hand, with a longer barrel, is very accurate. LDA, with an enclosed hammer, is a good compromise for a stubby meant to be used point-blank.
I keep hearing that. And yet, out of the box me and my buddy were hitting 4" plates out to 20 yards. There's nothing special about us. I'm wondering if this isn't just some internet myth that's recycled over and over.

I keep hearing that. And yet, out of the box me and my buddy were hitting 4" plates out to 20 yards. There's nothing special about us. I'm wondering if this isn't just some internet myth that's recycled over and over.

OK, point taken. My statement is a bit too generalized. I should rephrase. Firing DA without experience/practice, while under pressure, CAN be very inaccurate. Depending on the individual. If you practice, you will learn not to pull your shots. Likely by stopping your trigger pull briefly at the break point to re-center your aim. A rapid-fire self-defense scenario may not lend itself well to doing things this way, then again it may not do so for a hammer cocking either. LDA is probably the best option for a concealed carry type of pistol. You can't argue that a SA shot is inherently easier to aim than a DA shot though. If you can, well, then I guess it's just a matter of opinion and YMMV.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
OK, point taken. My statement is a bit too generalized. I should rephrase. Firing DA without experience/practice, while under pressure, CAN be very inaccurate. Depending on the individual. If you practice, you will learn not to pull your shots. Likely by stopping your trigger pull briefly at the break point to re-center your aim. A rapid-fire self-defense scenario may not lend itself well to doing things this way, then again it may not do so for a hammer cocking either. LDA is probably the best option for a concealed carry type of pistol. You can't argue that a SA shot is inherently easier to aim than a DA shot though. If you can, well, then I guess it's just a matter of opinion and YMMV.

After reading your initial post saying DA was not accurate I was wondering if you knew about staging the trigger on longer shots. Apparently you do. :001_smile

For that we were trained to position our trigger finger so that at just before hammer fall the tip of your trigger finger touched the side of the frame. Had to practice that so much my hand cramped.

Some advocate straight pull through, but it's good to be able to do both.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just received a Galco DAO holster for my 4.2” Redhawk. Sits great in crossdraw position. Have another on the way for the 4” S&W 629.

Good times!

I like crossdraw for the bigger revolvers. Haven't tried a chest holster, but I really don't have a need for one. Looks like a chest holster may be good if you were out in the woods a lot.

Pics. of the Galco or it didn't happen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 1070461

It’s here! What a nice balancing/looking handgun!

I didn’t have that much ammo (50 rounds), but my friend and I took it out and shot it a 4” & 8” plates. Let me tell you, I don’t know what all the talk of this gun only being for up close and personal is? Or that it’s a pro gun that requires rounds and rounds of extra practice over any other gun for that matter - we were hitting plates out to 20 yards right away.

Its weird, the gun weighs 2 ozs less than my G42 at 17oz, but it feels heavier. No matter how heavy it is or isn’t, it’s more than heavy enough to tame the .38 rounds I had. I love the balance.

The trigger is smooth, but it’s long and heavy. Really heavy. Have to do something heavy. So I ordered Apex Tactical springs and hammer to lighten it up. They say it’ll drop the pull by a couple pounds. I’m hoping it’ll be more than a couple. 5 would be nice lol. Its a fine line between heavy enough to be safe because it’s impossible to “mistakenly“ pull the trigger, vs so heavy that it’s unpredictable.

That’s about it for now. I like it! A lot. I think with some more trigger time, this gun might become as fun as my G42.

I’m thinking of this for a holster. It’s so easy!!

View attachment 1070460

What says you?
The more I look at this, the more I want one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Earcutter, For a holster-less carry mode, look at the DeSantis "Clip Grip" or some NOS Barami "Hip Grips". I carry my Airwieght Bodyguard with the classic combo of a Barami hip grip and Tyler T-Grip, works great and does not interfere if you decide to use a holster. It also helps position the trigger finger better so that you don't extend the finger too far inside the triggergard.

See post # 11 in this thread for my rig.

Also, that Techna clip metal spring clip will probably get "sprung" over time and be a PITA to straighten out so that it grips properly. I had a similar device of another brand on my Keltec P 11 that worked great for a while but eventually became troublesome. Plus the DeSantis or Barami is such a better looking option and not so gimicky, IMHO.

Last edited:
I've been carrying a Smith & Wesson 360 .357mag (J-Frame) in my pocket for several years. I load it with 38spl JHP. I'm surprised at how well the black finish has held up.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I could also see that Techna clip getting bent and either scoring the cylinder or in the extreme, jamming and preventing cylinder rotation, no beuno!

Ruger LCR in 9mm.

The only con I see: if your moon clip bends you are fried.
I think I mentioned a SW 547? a revolver in 9mm that does not need moon clips, but then reloads are slower.

The more I look at this, the more I want one.
Out the door, mine was $419.22! I mean... That's a great deal for any gun, but for this gun, I feel like I got away with something.

Yesterday I cleaned it and I got to tell you, the difference in the trigger is substantial. It's easy to stage now. I bet simply shooting and cleaning it a couple-three more times will make it feel like a whole new trigger completely. But the fact is, I'm expediting the change a little. According to USPS, my Apex springs and hammer will be here later today. I'm pretty excited.

Aside from that, my ammo came in yesterday. Any you know, a revolver is so versatile. I got the snake shot - #4 and #9 I think it is for the snakes.

buc.jpg

This was the whole reason I got the gun - the snake shot. But I got to tell you, only a couple days in and I'm considering packing it. So defensive ammo is needed. And that came too. This is for snakes that don't slither lol.

def38.jpg

Pretty cool stuff!! But dang it's short! Look at then in their natural environment!

in cyl.jpg

I'm already considering what my second revolver should be. What a great little ambassador this 442 has been so far!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What are your opinions on the Personal Defense HRT rounds? Back a couple decades ago I used their Hydroshocks. I don’t think they make those anymore.

What are your opinions on the Personal Defense HRT rounds? Back a couple decades ago I used their Hydroshocks. I don’t think they make those anymore.
If you go to lucky gunner dot com, they have some pretty awesome footage of their testing. And in spite of what you think of the testing methods used, it's consistent between caliber and brand so you can gleam quite the insights. I don't know if I'm a huge fan of 38 special to be honest, but I'm quite sure a hit is a hit if you hit the right spot. You know?

Go have a look.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you go to lucky gunner dot com, they have some pretty awesome footage of their testing. And in spite of what you think of the testing methods used, it's consistent between caliber and brand so you can gleam quite the insights. I don't know if I'm a huge fan of 38 special to be honest, but I'm quite sure a hit is a hit if you hit the right spot. You know?

Go have a look.
Cool. I was wrong, looks like Federal is still making Hydroshocks, but will check things out.

Top Bottom