What's new

Camera Suggestion for a Gift

I have a friend in Florida who will be celebrating his 70[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday in July and a group of us want to give him a gift of a camera. This fall he will be taking a month long trip to visit relatives in Italy and Germany – a trip he has never made.

Some background. Harold has gone through a rough three year period. During that time among other things his wife of 25 years divorced him and under the wonderful alimony laws of Florida his lifestyle has gone down the tubes. The only camera he has owned is an older version of the Canon Rebel series. He takes beautiful photos with the camera and I would consider him an intermediate amateur. The camera is in poor condition and is not worth repairing. However, Harold says he can’t afford a “nice” camera at this time. However, I have been told deep down he would like to get a decent camera rather than a cheaper point and shoot camera.

A group of us want to chip in and buy Harold a camera that would be perfect for his trip. As indicated he plans to visit relatives as well as doing a lot of sightseeing. Our budget is up to $1,000 for a camera plus acceptable lens.

Any of you have any suggestions as to what would work?

Great idea. I think the link above would be perfect. You might also consider some of the Fuji mirrorless cameras that have been getting a lot of talk in this forum as well. I expect their smaller size would make them great for travel.

Don't discount the QUALITY point n shoots.

I have a big heavy bag of Nikon glass and a D300s. I also have a Canon G-9. Guess which camera gets carried most when traveling? The G-9. Fits in a pocket, picture quality is very very good. It is not as flexible as the DSLR, but the ease of getting around and not having a heavy camera on the neck is significant.

Last edited:
I had a G9 until it got destroyed in my parents house fire. It was a great camera. The current version is the G16 I think.

Can't say enough good things about the Olympus micro 4/3 line. Could easly get a OMD-10 or 5 plus a couple extra lenses for under 1k. I'm using the E-PL6 and it is even less expensive, but doesn't have a viewfinder.

Can't say enough good things about the Olympus micro 4/3 line. Could easly get a OMD-10 or 5 plus a couple extra lenses for under 1k. I'm using the E-PL6 and it is even less expensive, but doesn't have a viewfinder.

I bought the wife a Nikon 1, fantastic camera. If I didn't have a ton invested in the DSLR I could easily get along with one of the mirrorless systems. I hear nothing but good on the Olympus system too.

I'll second the Olympus OMD E-M10 or similar. Mirrorless cameras have all the advantages of a full sized DSLR but with a smaller size and less weight. Add the fact that all micro four-thirds lenses work across platforms and you end up with a great lineup to choose from. It's the best of both worlds really... portability and versatility.

Best Buy is having some stellar Memorial Day deals throughout the week. The weekly ad has a couple bundles right off the bat. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm leaning towards the Nikon D3300 over the Canon Rebel SL1 or T5. You can get a bundle with the camera, two lenses, and wireless mobile adapter for 600$. I'm contemplating purchasing it myself.

does he have any decent canon glass? even if he doesn but does have some, and you consider mirrorless, look for a camera that can use that glass. bt it soulds like he likes photography and might enjpoy a newer rebel.. of, if you want to go less expensive, look for his model on Adorama or B&H, I bet you can find on on the cheap, and no learning curve. maybe go that route and a nice lens to compliment what he does have, never know he might need a 1.4 35 or 50 lens. it's great you and the friedns are looking to help him out. a serious Karma bank deposit

How about a Panasonic LX100 for about $900? It's a high end compact with a fast wide to light tele lens and very suitable for travel photography. Image quality is great since it has a 4/3 sensor, much larger than other compacts. At his age he may not want to haul a DSLR through Europe. Other than that, if it should have interchangable lenses, I'd suggest a micro 4/3 camera like E-M10, GX-7 or G7. My brother has two Olympus E-M1 and a bunch of lenses, and having seen what this gear is capable of, I have bought an E-M5 II recently. The very popular E-M5 may still be on sale for around $500. If he has a lot of Canon lenses and gear, go with Canon.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

hotwheels

Last edited:
I switched from a DSLR to a mirrorless for my travel / city camera, and I love it so far. Much more portable and convenient.

I have a DSLR and one of the olympus point and shoot cameras. They're both great. I've carried the DSLR on vacation and frankly, it kind of sucks to lug around.

I would suggest getting a nice Canon DSLR package, because that's what he wants. If possible not the current model to save a couple bucks. Also consider a bare bones package to save a few bucks, assuming this guy has some gear already. I have a sling type bag that works pretty well and just swings around for quick access - It's secure and comfortable enough that I've worn it on mountain bike rides. Get an extra battery and card for it. Get a nice compact bag for it that is lightweight, secure and easy for for this guy to carry and maneuver. Hopefully you'll be able to keep the whole lot well south of a grand and maybe consider a decent point and shoot for a couply hundred bucks as well. A camera in your pocket is great to have while galavanting around on a vacation. You're not carrying a DSLR everywhere you go, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom