What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I put the SE2 plate on the razor from time to time, and it’s fun to be able to if, for example, I haven’t shaved in a few days. But nothing beats the consistent combination of ease, comfort and efficiency of the SE1. I frequently marvel that I put up with carts for decades. Also, if I had just listened to @rabidus, I could have avoided years of experimentation — but where’s the fun in that?

Rigidity stuff apart, my favorite piece of advice from Anthony @rabidus was flipping the blade each shave (which I have done ever since). :cornut:

Does that help longevity? I don't think my blade gets rinsed thoroughly most times, I just run the razor under the tap for a few seconds after shaving and wipe it on a towel, twice each side.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Does that help longevity? I don't think my blade gets rinsed thoroughly most times, I just run the razor under the tap for a few seconds after shaving and wipe it on a towel, twice each side.

Wes, I got into doing the blade flipping on the razors which allowed it. However, injectors don't. I couldn't tell any difference, but how scientific is that? It's not, right.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe not, but it's all we've got.

I think it works, but I cant tell the difference for the amount of shaves I give a blade. I can feel a Polsilver smooth out on shave 4 and I can feel its even smoother at shave 20. Is that from flipping the blade though, I dont know.

When you strop a straight you strop both sides. When you sharpen a knife, you sharpen both sides. Thats how I rationalize it. :tongue_sm

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think it works, but I cant tell the difference for the amount of shaves I give a blade. I can feel a Polsilver smooth out on shave 4 and I can feel its even smoother at shave 20. Is that from flipping the blade though, I dont know.

When you strop a straight you strop both sides. When you sharpen a knife, you sharpen both sides. Thats how I rationalize it. :tongue_sm

Me, too. Makes perfect sense.

However, injector blades last forever.

It definitely works for me with DE. GEM and AC blades. It's more noticeable with DE blades because they're thinner. I don't have injectors that open, so no flipping there, I don't use injectors much though.

I have tested DE flipping vs no flipping, with a number of different blades, I get at least twice as many shaves from a blade with flipping than without flipping.

That seems fairly conclusive.

It's very conclusive for me. I can put an Astra in a postwar Tech and get about 30 face shaves from before it gives up without flipping. When it's done, it simply will not cut anymore no matter how many times I go over an area.

I got 60 face shaved from an Astra flipping the blade in a postwar Tech and it had more, I was bored with it and changed the blade. The blade was still cutting the last time I used it.

It's BBS every shave for me no matter how many strokes it takes.

March was a good month. :punk:

The final 2020 FFFMM SOTD :biggrin:
SOTD-Y2_2020-02-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom resin handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (18)

My minimalist choice, and that used for the 2020 FFFMM, was excellent (for me).

Commencing April Fool's Day minimalism will be thrown to the wind and I'll have my first Fatip OC Slant shave. :cornut:

April Fool's SOTD :001_wub:

SOTD_2020-04-01_2.jpg

Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (1)
ASL: Proraso Red

I read Rave's @Raven Koenes first shave report on Lo Storto. As it was very close to my experience I'll paraphrase it:

"Today was my first use ever of the New Fatip Lo Storto Originale. I did my usual two pass (1 WTG/Freestyle, 2 ATG/Freestyle) shave. It is definitely a Fatip. The blade aligns perfectly askew just like a slant should. This means the blade edge is not even with the cap, but is with the baseplate. The exposure was equally skewed on both sides looking at the cap, so I was very pleased. What I mean by it is definitely a Fatip is that it shaves like one. It is blade rigid smooth; additionally so with the blade being twisted and torqued. I found it to be more efficient and smoother than my PBOCS. My conclusion is it shaves like a Fatip. That means I'm in love. It's smooth and efficient, but you do have to watch out with this one. I had more than usual feedback when applying aftershave. This sucker could smoothly and efficiently peel your face like a wire cheese slicer and you wouldn't notice. I look forward to getting as good at it as I am with my (normal) Fatip OCs. My face is really smooth."

Additionally, I found it a breeze for trimming my sideburns and mustache (which I don't with the PBOCS). I would say comparatively speaking that the Fatip is less slanted (i.e. closer to 90° to the handle than most) but gives the blade more twist (making it more rigid [and more twisted]). Perhaps Richard, King Slant @efsk, would chip in on that thought — please?

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
April Fool's SOTD :001_wub:

View attachment 1081466

Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (1)
ASL: Proraso Red

I read Rave's @Raven Koenes first shave report on Lo Storto. As it was very close to my experience I'll paraphrase it:

"Today was my first use ever of the New Fatip Lo Storto Originale. I did my usual two pass (1 WTG/Freestyle, 2 ATG/Freestyle) shave. It is definitely a Fatip. The blade aligns perfectly askew just like a slant should. This means the blade edge is not even with the cap, but is with the baseplate. The exposure was equally skewed on both sides looking at the cap, so I was very pleased. What I mean by it is definitely a Fatip is that it shaves like one. It is blade rigid smooth; additionally so with the blade being twisted and torqued. I found it to be more efficient and smoother than my PBOCS. My conclusion is it shaves like a Fatip. That means I'm in love. It's smooth and efficient, but you do have to watch out with this one. I had more than usual feedback when applying aftershave. This sucker could smoothly and efficiently peel your face like a wire cheese slicer and you wouldn't notice. I look forward to getting as good at it as I am with my (normal) Fatip OCs. My face is really smooth."

Additionally, I found it a breeze for trimming my sideburns and mustache (which I don't with the PBOCS). I would say comparatively speaking that the Fatip is less slanted (i.e. closer to 90° to the handle than most) but gives the blade more twist (making it more rigid [and more twisted]). Perhaps Richard, King Slant @efsk, would chip in on that thought — please?
Cal, Thank you for paraphrasing my post. As you are a stickler for detail and accuracy I'm humbled. You may not believe it, but I might tend to be a bit biased about Fatips at times. I tried to be accurate and stick to the facts.

Top Bottom