What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Does not buying anything for a year make one a minimalist? I'm asking for a friend.
I'm guessing that your friend probably has around 50 razors, >1000 blades, 50 brushes, 50 soaps, and a load of other ancillary kit... a lot of which he uses throughout the year. After one year of zero shaving related purchases he may have around two less soaps and 26 less blades.
If you do the math I think you'll discover that your friend is living in a dream world. :lol: :letterk1: :devil:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm guessing that your friend probably has around 50 razors, >1000 blades, 50 brushes, 50 soaps, and a load of other ancillary kit... a lot of which he uses throughout the year. After one year of zero shaving related purchases he may have around two less soaps and 26 less blades.
If you do the math I think you'll discover that your friend is living in a dream world. :lol: :letterk1: :devil:
It's uncanny how well you seem to know my friend. I had to break it to him gently. I had He had quite the break down. He was really more fragile about it than I thought I would be he would be. Poor fellow, It seems like I was he was the last to know that I was that he was in denial.

Well, that didnt take long lol.
True, but I tend to have a different perspective on that type of thing. Any shaving software I like and use regularly, I seldom purchase more than one of. The reason being that products often get updated and I always want the latest version. If the new Red Soap is as good as I expect I'll simply ditch what's left in my current tub (we're only talking pennies here).

On saying that, I recently purchased a barber size bottle (400ml) of Proraso Red ASL for 16.50 GBP shipped (that I decant into smaller bottles).
ShavePic1_2020-02-08_800.jpg

But the NEW Super Formula stuff (for end users) has only just started arriving in the UK. So I expect it will be quite a while before the NEW Super Formula barber size supplies arrive (the 100ml bottles are 10 GBP or more so I don't mind waiting).

Well, there you go. Too much information as ever. :blushing:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I assume the new super awesome special version is different somehow. Do you know what makes it different yet or does it need to be used?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's uncanny how well you seem to know my friend. I had to break it to him gently. I had He had quite the break down. He was really more fragile about it than I thought I would be he would be. Poor fellow, It seems like I was he was the last to know that I was that he was in denial.

I see the voices are fighting for control again lol.

I assume the new super awesome special version is different somehow. Do you know what makes it different yet or does it need to be used?
Yes it's different, here's what @Marco has to say about it:
My friends, today I just shaved with the new 2019 Red Superformula pre-shave + cream. This combo is even more impressive than the Green combo, the upgrade here is HUGE. The quality of the lather is EXCELLENT: very creamy, great glide, protective, with plenty of residual slickness. And it's also super moisturizing, no aftershave needed. Only one shave in, but I already feel this is the FINEST PRORASO CREAM EVER.

P.S. As with the new Green, the new Red also gives its best performance when used with its matching pre-shave. If you desire to try these new creams/soaps I strongly suggest buying the combo pre-shave + cream (or soap).
Marco uses the pre-shave cream, which (as you know) I don't. Also he used the soap in the tube whereas I use the soap in the jar. But it's exactly the same product; the only difference is that the tube soap is cured for three days whereas the jar soap is cured for 10 days.

On the thread Marco posted on, there are pics showing ingredients of the green soap. There are a few ingredients changes, for the better, but obviously I have no idea about any ratio changes.

You've got me there Wes. Just finished what, please? :001_unsur

Sorry Cal, I forgot about that. I started to post a reply here earlier and got interrupted, or rather, turned of my computer to get some tea, then forgot what I was going to say when I commented on your car but the computer remembered. What I started to write was:

I've just finished catching up with Mike's Grande Journey, I'm still reading Jims tome and just started Rave's journal from the beginning. Now I've "got" to catch up with this one, plus there's The Wanderes Journey, Milkcrate, Rustyblade....well, you get the idea.

Better get me' bins on!

glasses.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes it's different, here's what @Marco has to say about it:

Marco uses the pre-shave cream, which (as you know) I don't. Also he used the soap in the tube whereas I use the soap in the jar. But it's exactly the same product; the only difference is that the tube soap is cured for three days whereas the jar soap is cured for 10 days.

On the thread Marco posted on, there are pics showing ingredients of the green soap. There are a few ingredients changes, for the better, but obviously I have no idea about any ratio changes.

If its recommended by @Marco its good enough for me.

Is the scent of the Red the same?

Is the scent of the Red the same?
As Marco didn't mention it, I reckon it must be. My NEW soap should be here Wednesday. I'll sniff it, and my current one, and let you know if I find any difference (or not).

Good to see you @Cal! I have been on a bit of a sabbatical from B&B myself (and shaving purchases in general). Between work and my daughter, I haven't had much spare time. I may have even less going forward, should find out tomorrow if all my free time will be gone. I've been using slant bar razors almost exclusively myself. I have two that I enjoy the most, one I can't use and need to sell, and one that keeps me on my toes and honest about my technique. I have only been using a handful (five) of soaps with paired up aftershaves I enjoy. I settled into this routine and rather enjoy how my shaves are now. I'm still fighting with the hairs deciding to get ingrown if I leave them uncut for too long, or cut them at the wrong angle. They're becoming more rare of late, maybe once or week or two. My shaves are definitely getting close to where I want them to be.

I may end up rebuying the new proraso sets. I like the CRS sandalwood, but it is exceedingly drying to my skin, especially in winter. And that's when I'd be using it the most I think.

Anyway, good to see you back. I'll try to pop in here and there. I doubt I'll ever get caught back up on Jim or Rave's threads. I have 600 some unread posts in Jim's alone. Maybe one of these years.

Enjoy your shaves!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cal

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My friend has another question: Just because someone has a very large and overwhelming variety of shaving accoutrements, along with a long, drawn out, and complicated rotation schedule, doesn't necessarily mean he's not a minimalist, does it? I mean, what harm could it possibly do to let him in? It's not like the very definition of minimalism, and, as, defined by the brotherhood, would be under attack opening the door for everyone, right?

Last edited:
My friend has another question: Just because someone has a very large and overwhelming variety of shaving accoutrements, along with a long, drawn out, and complicated rotation schedule, doesn't necessarily mean he's not a minimalist, does it? I mean, what harm could it possibly do to let him in? It's not like the very definition of minimalism, and, as, defined by the brotherhood, would be under attack opening the door for everyone, right?
:lol:
Rave, my dear friend, if your friend is that desperate he should put his case to the Minimalist members in their official thread. I'm sure most of them would roll on the floor laughing. And speaking as a member myself, when I'd finished laughing I'd say NO.

The Minimalists' OP was last seen on February 2, 2014 so there is no "leader" to consult as such.

Shucks, what are you doing to me man? I came back to B&B to ESCAPE the global wokeness! :letterk1: :biggrin1: :w00t:

Top Bottom