What's new

Calling Vintage Experts ☎️ !

Thank you @VintageGent and @jason2 for your in-depth comments.

"rabbit hole" indeed.

I am eyeing something like this one (not necessarily this particular one) - should have mentioned I would like a thicker handle, at least to start. Not sure if it's a good start but I'll research some more before pulling the trigger on a first vintage. I would like a razor that's ideally 100% original to have the real feel of it.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 9.22.49 PM.png

"rabbit hole" indeed.

I am eyeing something like this one (not necessarily this particular one) - should have mentioned I would like a thicker handle, at least to start. Not sure if it's a good start but I'll research some more before pulling the trigger on a first vintage. I would like a razor that's ideally 100% original to have the real feel of it.

View attachment 1641692
New Short Comb - a perfect choice IMHO. Those wider common bar handles have good grip, still hollow and not overbalancing the head.

BTW, I have tried most USA Gillette vintage 3 piece. Many decades of Old Type shaving with my grandad's razor. The 'News' are better.

"rabbit hole" indeed.

View attachment 1641692

That's a great razor to go with. And that one is a red and black set. You'll see a different handle and combs that goes with it too. Here's mine that also matches Mr Razors set on his site. Notice the smooth top of the handle knurling doesn't go as high. IMG_20230420_203109836.jpg

You can also swap out the handle. I like the razorock barber pole but I do need a nylon washer to set it tight.

IMG_20230420_203503358_HDR.jpg

New Short Comb - a perfect choice IMHO. Those wider common bar handles have good grip, still hollow and not overbalancing the head.

BTW, I have tried most USA Gillette vintage 3 piece. Many decades of Old Type shaving with my grandad's razor. The 'News' are better.
I always have the hardest time seeing if a head is long comb or short comb in pictures.

I'm definitely no expert either. Just a guy that enjoys the shave.

I'd rather have someone's street smarts opinion on how something shaves myself. That person could be an expert too. 🍻

Agreed.

I am glad you brought up the "experts" part. I wanted to edit the title of my post to "enthusiasts" or "lovers" but I was/am not able to edit my OP. I am guessing edits aren't allowed after a certain time.

Is that in today's dollars or 1930's? Inflation has taken its toll. :biggrin1:
But according to yellin' Yellen, inflation is only transitory! Does that mean we can't trust our own gov officials to tell us the truth? Of course we can't. As far as fixing the problems they cause, lyin' is easier than tryin'. :)

I always have the hardest time seeing if a head is long comb or short comb in pictures.
The combs can definitely be deceiving in photos, depending on the angle. So I ignore the comb in photos:

-if there is a shot of the underside of the base plate, the Gillette logo & “made in USA” stamps are centered on a short comb, but off to either side on a long comb.

-if there is a shot of the topside of the base plate, with the top cap off, it’s easy. The long comb has distinctive “fulcrum shoulders” running the length of the base plate, like a New Improved. The short comb has a smooth transition from the center line all the way out to the combs, like an Old Type. And corner cut outs.

*LC on left; SC on right

Attachments

• 9E5E611F-3152-449B-B846-BDA3B452BA1A.jpeg
    9E5E611F-3152-449B-B846-BDA3B452BA1A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
One word of caution with Gillette NEW razors: be careful, they tend to multiply like rabbits once introduced into your shave den!
*Disclaimer: the sole LC in the photo above is confusing for diagnostic purposes. It’s a “debased” Otto Roth LC: the original Otto Roth stamp (where the Gillette logo should be on an LC) was struck through, then a Gillette logo was added in the center (where it would be on an SC).

Leave it to me try to make things simple, then confuse them! 🤪

Last edited:
I would say in my shaving journey, the learning curve in order of aggressiveness, and efficiency -->>>- Fat Handle Tech, then Empire Good Will and #77/88, then Big Fellow New Improved, and the sharpest, but perfectly fine with a light touch/stroke, the Single Ring Old Type.

Top Bottom