What's new

Calling Vintage Experts ☎️ !

Hi gents,

Thanks to you passionate degenerates, I am already looking into another razor.

Vintage this time. @robertj298 's recent post got me hooked.

I am still too much of a wet shaving beginner in general and a complete illiterate on Vintage to know what to go for. I am however looking for the following based on what I've already tried/used and like:

1. efficient and/of aggressive

2. thin head (cap and baseplate), I am not a fan of chunky/thick thus no butterfly

3. regardless of finish/color

The 1930s New Deluxe is far so one of the best I came across. Jaw dropping looks but how does it shave? The New Long Comb is equally appealing.

What would you recommend?

Thank you ahead of time for your feedback.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A Gillette Single Ring might fit the bill. I have one and it is a lovely shaver and looks beautiful in its case. The only drawback to them is the fragility of the teeth and the likelihood of damage if dropped. As an alternative the Gillette New Flat Bottom, or Raised Flat Bottom, give an excellent shave and are less prone to damage. I also prefer the longer comb of the New razors. Finally, there is the Gillette Goodwill - my English model is my favourite of any Gillette razor that I have tried. Good luck 👍

Hi gents,

Thanks to you passionate degenerates, I am already looking into another razor.

Vintage this time. @robertj298 's recent post got me hooked.

I am still too much of a wet shaving beginner in general and a complete illiterate on Vintage to know what to go for. I am however looking for the following based on what I've already tried/used and like:

1. efficient and/of aggressive

2. thin head (cap and baseplate), I am not a fan of chunky/thick thus no butterfly

3. regardless of finish/color

The 1930s New Deluxe is far so one of the best I came across. Jaw dropping looks but how does it shave? The New Long Comb is equally appealing.

What would you recommend?

Thank you ahead of time for your feedback.
Old Type Thin Cap. Gillette ABC's are beautiful and efficient. Probably the most beautiful in fact. The 3 below are from the Shell Pattern ABC line. Notice the subtle differences. I don't know for sure but I think only the Shell pattern has variations.

There are Empire, Shell, Scroll, and Flower patterns for the cases and razor. Silver and Gold washed.

Not that hard to find on the bay and not exorbitantly expensive. One will last you a lifetime. If you get one it will already be 100+ years old. Can't go wrong.
100_5439.JPG

I think anyone interested in Vintage Gillettes needs to at least try all of the following razors:

OLD TYPE: single ring or ball end (to me that makes less difference than thin cap vs. thick cap)… just watch for damaged corners and try more than one if you get a rough one.

NEW: long comb, short comb, deluxe.. all are bulletproof

TECH: prewar, postwar; poTAYto, poTAHto… just get a fat handle

I have at least 1 of each (more than 1 if I end up liking it). They all offer great shaves; and they are all different enough that it’s worth your while to try each. (YMMV, etc.).

Good, user grade examples can be found dirt cheap if you’re patient, so you can have 1 or more of each for less than one new, high end razor.

Last edited:
I agree with those who have suggested starting with a NEW long comb. An Old Type will be a lot more fun after you get used to a NEW LC. Plus you’ll have a benchmark to compare against the NEW SC.

*I personally like the LC, but LOVE the SC. And Old Type. But I have trouble using anything other than fat handle Techs lately. You never know until you try.

Last edited:
Don't discount the butter fly. A 30's open comb TTO is amazing. I love my '36 British OC Aristocrat TTO. Also, the Milord/Ranger tech no notched (pre-superspeed) are very efficient.

Otherwise I'd recommend....

At least one old type with a thin cap. For me the thin cap is important. I don't like the thick cap. My choices would be a Bulldog that has a thicker barber pole handle and/or a big fellow with a thicker deeper knurled handle and longer. Plus, you can adjust back to make these super efficient as they have a fixed baseplate. If you do like the thinner lighter handles then a standard set is great.

At least one new or new improved or both. I really like the NEW short comb. If you want milder feel then the long comb. I find the long comb easier to clog up so rinse often. I'm not as impressed with the new improved. An English raised flat bottom new long comb is a great option for the long comb and to me is slightly more aggressive.

Don't forget the Goodwills. Really the #164 and #162 are beautiful art deco pieces but beware to take care to set the blade in straight. These and the Old Type thin caps are the best razors to get into every tight place with ease. But these do not have a fixed baseplate and not adjustable.

A pre-war tech and a flat bottom tech. I sooooo much want a hybrid tech still. You can then go down the tech rabbit hole and get a million different variations of these. But those first two I mention are more efficient then their blade gaps let on.

Bonus would be an eclipse red ring, barbasol floating head, and a grand shave king. And for fun a segal.

Top Bottom