What's new

Calling all Wilkinson Sword razor experts

I didn't like having to pry the slide plate forward to get the Feather blade under the blade stops. So I thought I would experiment with a PAL SE blade.

I removed the spline, a very simple task, and snipped off the rear corner ears. I installed the modified blade. It slipped behind the blade stops WITHOUT any prying! There must be just enough difference in blade depth for it to work.

Forget the Feather. Go with a standard Gem SE blade. It's easy!

Edit: thanks Themba, for the instructions. I'm really delighted I get to use this razor.

Last edited:
I didn't like having to pry the slide plate forward to get the Feather blade under the blade stops. So I thought I would experiment with a PAL SE blade.

I removed the spline, a very simple task, and snipped off the rear corner ears. I installed the modified blade. It slipped behind the blade stops WITHOUT any prying! There must be just enough difference in blade depth for it to work.

Forget the Feather. Go with a standard Gem SE blade. It's easy!

Edit: thanks Themba, for the instructions. I'm really delighted I get to use this razor.

I have yet to try those new Feather SE blades in any razor so I have none to compare ot standard SE blades. I wonder if, as you say, those Feathers have a larger blade depth than standard SE blades.

It's head will take some getting used too. I had to remove my glasses to get high on the cheeks.

These razors are large monsters aren't they? :lol::lol::lol:

How can you not love a razor with all of those gears, screws, knobs and thumb screws, and things that slide and flip an flap. Not to mention the great whirly thing used as a guard.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Wilkinson for the second time today but with a modified Gem blade. Yesterday I used a Feather SE.

This razor is adjustable. It has a thumb screw that moves the roller guard in and out. I set it at midpoint. The Wilkinson delivered a DFS with minor irritation. The irritation is a price I'll glady pay just to use this contraption.

Thanks again, Themba, for telling us how to modify blades to use in this razor.

drews, can you post a picture of the modified Gem blade (and the feather SE, if you had to change anything)? -- I'd like to see what these blades look like when they're in the razor.
Thanks,
-- Chet

First, the spline has to be removed. You can see it is crimped in place once per side. I hold the blade straight up and insert a sharp scribe tip right at the crease. This allows me enough gap to swing the spline out and away. The bottom crimp just slides out. These are razor blades, so PLEASE exercise caution. Or, like me, have damned good medical coverage.

full

Once the spline is removed, the ears, as I call them, have to be snipped off. The blade on the bottom has not been clipped. The blade on top has had the ears cut off, the bottom corner stubs removed. BTW, this modified blade will work on most models of the Valet Autostrop.

full

On the razor, the blade stops at each corner are set too far apart. The blade wont sit under the stops as designed. Carefully bend each stop in. Please do this with the blade removed.

Then insert the blade making sure it sits fully back as far as possible.

full

Sorry about my crappy camera.

Press the rear screw inward allowing the guide bar to move forward. Swing the blade down and seat the blade corners under the stops. You are ready to resurrect this razor. USE IT. Its a good razor, certainly very cool.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thoroughly impressed with the ingenuity!!!!

I have been admiring my Wilkies for a few years - but never have shaved with one. I am going to give it a shot soon - thnx for the inspiration!!!

:thumbup1: Very cool!

Boys, I am going to make you jealous.

Just had a package arrive today . . . .

It's a full empire set, complete with 7 day blades, original stop, paper card board box, cotton liner.

This thing has never been used. the strop has the original wax-oil paper cover, and the blades have the original grease protecting covering.

Today is definitely a good day.

I had intended to shave with the contraption, but given it's age & condition, I'm reluctant to use it.

Pics to follow!

Use it. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse. You won't hurt it. Just remember this is an adjustable razor. The thumb screw in the rear positions the blade. I'd move it back at least by half. The razor you can't hurt may hurt you!

Boys, I am going to make you jealous.

Just had a package arrive today . . . .

It's a full empire set, complete with 7 day blades, original stop, paper card board box, cotton liner.

This thing has never been used. the strop has the original wax-oil paper cover, and the blades have the original grease protecting covering.

Today is definitely a good day.

I had intended to shave with the contraption, but given it's age & condition, I'm reluctant to use it.

Pics to follow!

Last edited:
There are at least three versions of the Wilkinson wedge blade razor. I have two versions.

The first takes a full height wedge blade a bit wider than a Henckels Rapide or CV Heljestrand blade. Original blade height is similar to a Gem but the blade stops are wide enough apart so trying to use a Gem blade makes me nervous. Stropping is done with a separate auto stropper, not with the blade mounted in the razor head. The Wilkinson blades for this set will fit a Henckels Rapide or CV Heljestrand wedge blade razor.

V2 is the one discussed here. I need to look for one.

V3 uses the low height blades but with an adapter to fit the late version razor head. The blade is installed by mounting it on a stud on the razor head and rotating it a bit to engage the spring loaded gripping mechanism balls on the blade holder on the head with the adapter. Blades for this version have a center hole in the top adapter the blade is installed in. My set came with 6 of the 7 original blades.

I have V1 and V3 seven blade razors. No way I can see to use the V3 with modern blades and I have not tried to bend the stops closer together on the V1.

The version 1 Wilkinson with wide blades and separate auto stropper. The razor head cannot be used as a stropper.

Attachments

• Wilkinson-4.jpg
    Wilkinson-4.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 35
The V3 or last Wilkinson wedge blade razor. Note the adapters the short wedge blades fit into. These are required to install the blades in the razor head. Per the Ebay listing this was made from 1936 to 1952. So far as I can tell it is useless without the original blades and adapters.

Wilkinson-V3-3.jpg
Wilkinson-V3-2.jpg

The three dots on the bar at the top of the razor head are a center pin and two spring loaded detent balls. The blade adapter, with a blade in it, is placed on the center pin at an angle and then rotated into the locked position on the razor head.

For modifying blades for use in the V2 Wilkinson razor, as discussed earlier in this thread, the Valet blade is about .730" high. A modern Gem with spine removed measures .686" and some antique Gem compatible factory spineless blades marked "Take Off" single edge blade which are Gem Micromatic compatible based on their cutouts are .815" high. Based on these measurements I would judge the despined current Gem PTFE blade to be the best candidate to modify to fit the V2 Wilkinson razor pictured and discussed earlier.

Top Bottom