What's new

Calling all Wilkinson Sword razor experts

I found this unusual and totally mint Wilkinson Sword set today. I wonder what it is called and what type of blade it used. The case is beautiful plated steel -- not identified as sterling, but sure shines like it. It is over a very heavy lacquered wood case.

The razor itself is a very interesting 2-toned steel that is seemingly not tarnished but almost gun metaled, as is the platform that holds it in the case.

I've never seen or owned a razor like this, and with this particularly unusual head design, it's hard to figure out how it was used. Any help in identifying this beauty would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

proxy.php

Such the Deco look -- with no initials engraved just yet.

proxy.php

This razor was definitely never used before.

proxy.php

The knob on the bottom turns & moves a rod up or down behind the head.

proxy.php

I'd love to try this out and see how those rollers adjust the beard to get sliced by the blade.

proxy.php

Another knob behind the blade area on the head.

proxy.php

proxy.php

So any members have information &/or experience with this classic Wilkinson razor?

It's the Wilkinson Empire, a beautiful razor. But it takes a half height Wilkinson proprietary wedge blade, darn it. A gizmo and gadet lovers dream come true.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents -- but do you have any photos of it loaded with a blade & ready to shave? Are there instructions anywhere online?

I've got one of these that I still need to get cleaned up. Mine came in a plain wooden case, though. No fancy chrome here. And it's the smaller straight knurled handle without the flanges yours has. But I did, at least get the strop and blade box w/ blades.

Quick googling says mine's the 1930 model and yours is 1933-35 Model E21.

On mine there's a slide that would be just above where "WILKINSON" is printed on yours that releases the blade. But I can't see that in your pictures.

I've got one of these that I still need to get cleaned up. Mine came in a plain wooden case, though. No fancy chrome here. And it's the smaller straight knurled handle without the flanges yours has. But I did, at least get the strop and blade box w/ blades.

Quick googling says mine's the 1930 model and yours is 1933-35 Model E21.

On mine there's a slide that would be just above where "WILKINSON" is printed on yours that releases the blade. But I can't see that in your pictures.
Interesting that I never noticed these Empire sets before -- nor do I have any confidence that standard SE blades will work with it. Are you willing to lend some blades & your strop if I am unable to locate any?

Interesting that I never noticed these Empire sets before -- nor do I have any confidence that standard SE blades will work with it.

No, I'm 99.9% sure that they won't. At least they won't with mine. The blades are a good bit shorter. I'll post a few pics of mine in a minute or two.

Are you willing to lend some blades & your strop if I am unable to locate any?

Sure. Shoot me a PM if you get stuck. I've got one wedge blade, two spined flat blades that are open, and two wrapped blades (I think those are spined flat blades as well). They're not all that clean, but they're not terrible and might be serviceable.

I've seen these complete sets fairly frequently on the 'bay -- mostly UK sellers, which would make sense. And as long as it's not the 7-day sets they don't run very expensive either. I think I paid $25 for mine.

Thanks for the offer. I did find this link that has some decent instructional photos also. I will send a PM to try your blade. And I'll keep a lookout on some other sets. I got this one for the reasonable price -- I think -- of $40 -- including shipping. Just no blades or strop.

Thanks again.

I guess I should tell you guys how have I managed to use SE blades in these for almost the past decade. The last thing I want is for the prices on them to go up any higher. :lol::lol::lol:

Please tell us how you've done it. Since we already have sets, no reason to think we need more -- so if the prices on the other sets increase -- just means our sets appreciate.

But seriously -- how do you get the SE blades to conform to these heads?

Here are pics of my set. First the set as it packs:

proxy.php

Here's a shot that shows the slider that allows the blade grip to open:

proxy.php

When you slide that to the left the pincers of the grip open up and you can fit the spine of the blade in between them and lock it back down.

Here's a blade loaded with the grip flipped up. The strop would thread underneath, like an AutoStrop.

proxy.php

And here's the blade locked down into place for shaving. The screw on the back adjusts the roller guard in and out.

proxy.php

These are the two different styles of blades mine came with:

proxy.php

As you can see, the wedge blade is pretty rough. Might be salvageable, or might not. There are a couple blades still wrapped in the cool little blade holder. I love the design there. The size of the hole keeps them from knocking into each other and banging the edges up.

Last edited:
I guess I should tell you guys how have I managed to use SE blades in these for almost the past decade. The last thing I want is for the prices on them to go up any higher. :lol::lol::lol:

You'd have to cut them down and re-spine them, wouldn't you?

Top Bottom