What's new

Calling all Wilkinson Sword razor experts

Very nice. It will likely clean up really well. Very well made set from the sword people...

You'd have to cut them down and re-spine them, wouldn't you?

No you don't. It is much easier than that. Before I get everyones hopes up, there are only certain models that can take a modern SE blade. Unfortunately the model pictured in the OP's post is NOT one of them. Sorry Jake, but I believe the blade stops sit a little to wide on your model and yours have a different clasping mecanism to hold the blade. MacDaddy's razor can with a slight modification to his blade stops. :thumbup1:

When you have a chance to post some photos -- we will all appreciate your insights and discovery. Thanks.

Hmm... I'm not seeing how you could possibly modify the blade stops to accommodate a standard SE blade. There's a good quarter inch of blade overhanging the guard even when I push it completely out.

You must share this trick of yours! :sorcerer:

I have a 7-day set that I have not been able to use, unfortunately. The blades look too far gone to sharpen, and I have no idea where to obtain new ones. It's definitely a looker of a set, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

No strop with that set? And do you have any photos of the blades? Seems like the same razor design I have -- so I wonder if the blades can be resurrected.

My camera is on the fritz but I will try to get some pictures as soon as I can. Hopefully this explanation will satify for now.

The Wilkinson Sword Empire models that work the best are the ones that have a blade holding mechanism that can open all the way up and a slide locking tab to secure the blade. Those similar to the one pictured in MacDaddy's post.

Tools you will need: A pair of needle nose pliers and maybe a small flat bit screw driver. Before we begin, Wilkinson Sword blades are slightly wider than modern SE blades, so most of the models of these razors have corresponding blade stops set too wide apart for SE blades. The Wilkinson Sword model you have has to be able to accept an SE blade behind both it's blades stops or an SE blade will obviously not work. On some models you can gently bend the blade stops in to solve this problem, some are ok as is, on others, you are out of luck. This is an easy modification and one that you can change back. It will also not damage the razor and it should still accept the original wedge blades with no problem. Now we are ready to begin.

Only a spineless SE blade will fit and it has to be modified. The modification is NOT difficult. You basically just snap the two back corner ends off of a blade and it is good to go. Once you have done this you can now insert the blade as you would a regular Wilkinson Sword wedge blade, but push it further in, all the way. I usually hold the blades at the sides with the blade wrapper over the blade edge while inserting it to avoid cutting myself. Now you should realize why I had you snap the two back ends off the blade as this modification will allow the blade to go far enough in to fit behind the blade stops. You should not have to force it.

Once the blade is in position slide the locking tab to secure the blade and flip the blade down. Press the adjustment screw all the way in to push the guard bar and blade stop assembly all the way forward to allow the blade to fit behind the stops. Tighten the handle and you are ready to shave. If the blade does not fit behind the blade stops, then you did not push it far enough in or you have to use a flat bit screw driver to loosen the base of the blade holding mechanism to allow the spineless SE blade to go further in. You would also have to loosen the mechanism if the blade does not easily slide in. You should not have to force it in.

To sumarize:
Adjust blade stops to accept an SE blade. (One time thing)
Snap the two back ends off of an SE blade (Modify blade)
Install the blade
Shave

Unfortunate there are no numbers or settings on the adjustment screw, so you just have to play around with it. The lowest setting seems extra extra extra mild (maybe it was meant to reduce a long beard :lol:) so you will have to crank it up. The razor is heavy and top heavy at that, so you have to get used to this fact. My Wilkinson Sword Empire Razor weighs about 2.9 oz. The shave is awesome. An adjustable SE. :thumbup1:

Any questions, feel free to ask.

You guys got me all worked up. I have a fresh modded Tedpella and my Wilky ready for a shave tomorrow. :tongue_sm

Only a spineless SE blade will fit and it has to be modified.

OK, I can see how it would be able to sit farther back between the jaws if it were spineless. I've got some spineless Feathers somewhere, or I'll just pull out an old Valet blade from my cigar box of tetanus tomorrow to see if I can make it fit.

Thanks for the pointers.

Don't cut yourself. Only handle the blade from the sides. Your modified blade should look like this:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
No strop with that set? And do you have any photos of the blades? Seems like the same razor design I have -- so I wonder if the blades can be resurrected.

The strop fits into the removable handle rest. The blades appear to be carbon steel, and can be removed from their holders for replacement. I imagine if they are in usable shape they could be sharpened, but that is a skill I don't possess.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice razor:thumbup1:quite a few of these are popping up on e bay uk lately, someone always seems to be selling one, i wonder if interest is growing in them or just coincidence:001_smile

Nice razorquite a few of these are popping up on e bay uk lately, someone always seems to be selling one, i wonder if interest is growing in them or just coincidence

These razors have always commanded a high price, especially complete sets. I believe they are prized by collectors.

Holy cow!

I have some Feather SE blades I use for my Valet Autostrop razor. I followed Themba's instructions, snipping off the back corners, setting the blade fully back as far as possible and bending in the blade snaps.

It fits. I feel like Dr Frankenstein, the monster is ALIVE. Guess which razor I'm using this morning!!!

Holy cow!

I have some Feather SE blades I use for my Valet Autostrop razor. I followed Themba's instructions, snipping off the back corners, setting the blade fully back as far as possible and bending in the blade snaps.

It fits. I feel like Dr Frankenstein, the monster is ALIVE. Guess which razor I'm using this morning!!!

Good show. Report back to us on the shave with this heavy monster. :lol::lol::lol:

Drews50, My camera is still on the fritz, do us a favor and post a picture with an SE blade in the razor. :thumbup1:

Edit: Please read my next post, using a regular SE blade.

The first picture is almost identical to Themba's but using a Feather blade. The rear corners were snipped back. I have to apologize for my camera, not the best for close work.

full

Then the blade was pushed as far back in the holder as possible

full

I had to bend the blade stops in, as Themba mentioned. It is still a tight fit. I had to unscrew the adjustment screw, allowing as much forward movement as possible. I still had to coax the plate forward just a bit using a screwdriver. Then the corners of the blade snapped in under the stops.

full

The Wilkinson gave me a DFS. I didn't want to push it this first time. Again. if you are a gadget and gizmo lover, you'll really like the Wilkinson. It's head will take some getting used too. I had to remove my glasses to get high on the cheeks. But, it works, no longer is it a paperweight, collecting dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

surpera1

that reminds me of those old push type lawn mowers - where the blades spin with your pushing effort - interesting piece for sure

Top Bottom