What's new

Cal Ripkin Challenges - 2,632 in a Row (The hardest challenge in B&B)

It's a pity you resigned from the 2020 Sabbatical. I really enjoyed your puzzles.

What you describe is the case of dedicating some razors and blades per slot, e.g. you use one mild and one aggressive razor per shave, paired with a sharp and a less sharp blade, respectively. Similar to that but with 5 categories would be to do a first pass with a straight and a second one with a DE.

Another possibility is to combine razors and blades more randomly. Say you have 7 razors, 3 brushes, 7 soaps, 4 blade types and you choose 2 razors and 2 blades. Then you get,

C(7,2) * 3 * 7 * C(4,2) = 21 * 3 * 7 * 6 = 2,646

where C(x,a) = x! / (r! * (x-r)!) denotes the possible combinations of picking r number of items out of a pool of x.

I don't know all the factorial shortcuts. Since I'm using a fixed setup, I'm not getting too complex. If I wanted a list of combinations, I'd write a program to generate one. If I wanted random, I could sort the column based on random numbers.

I don't know all the factorial shortcuts. Since I'm using a fixed setup, I'm not getting too complex. If I wanted a list of combinations, I'd write a program to generate one. If I wanted random, I could sort the column based on random numbers.

Haha, sorry the nerd in me took over... Indeed, no need to over-complicate things. :D

Today is the 100th day in a row for shaving. I'm not certain the longest streak is accurate.

1582538145579.png

I’m coming up to my fifth wedding anniversary with two kids and I haven’t even slept with the same girl that many nights in a row! Life is too short for this type of challenge.

I’m coming up to my fifth wedding anniversary with two kids and I haven’t even slept with the same girl that many nights in a row! Life is too short for this type of challenge.

You could always take the variety challenge. A different set-up every day.

I am a free spirit and I refuse to be bound by your rules.

Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité!
I will probably not use another blade besides Feather again. But I like to look and imagine what might have been. If I’m ever on tour and no Feathers are available all bets are off!

I am a free spirit and I refuse to be bound by your rules.

Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité!

I posted this in early January:

"I'm not confined. I'm free and independent. I'm showing my individuality by doing something unique in B&B."

I had to recreate the step spreadsheet due to a computer glitch. It's a new format.

The other day, I started a weight-lifting challenge. The usual 2,632 days in a row. I'll update it next weekend.

1582989219956.png

Last edited:
After some thought, I decided to select a difficult weight lifting challenge--the Cal Ripkin Lift Everyday Challenge. As usual, the goal is 2,632 days in a row. I lift dumbbells at home, so there is no travel to the gym time.

1583065780346.png

Unless the weights are very light I would advise that’s not the healthiest or most effective way to lift.

Thank you for pointing this out. The weights are light. I'm not concerned with "most effective."

I follow a "no pain, more gain" exercise philosophy that uses continuous micro-progressions with few breaks or days off. Ideally, I do one seventy-five minute superset each day and work out every day. Minor fatigue is acceptable. Pain is not. If something hurts, I skip an exercise.

All of the dumbbell exercises isolate muscles. Slow reps with great form are a substitute for heavy weights.

Top Bottom