What's new

Brut Speical Reserve Cologne vs. Brut Cologne

Walked into my local grocery store and found two different versions of Brut. One was the Special Reserve Cologne, it comes in a nice 88ml glass bottle pictured here, for $9.99. And there was the Cologne version, 200ml in a plastic bottle for $6 pictured here. They honestly smelt the same. So, my question is: is the Special Reserve version the same scent in the plastic bottle just in a nice, glass bottle with a sprayer, versus a open splash top? What's the difference between the two?

If there isn't, I'm thinking about picking up the Cologne because I get more than double at 4 bucks less.

Stills, I have no sure and certain answer to your question, but would suspect that your reasoning is correct. More money for glass bottle with a sprayer. But in all fairness to the manufacturer, the glass bottle certainly costs more and many people prefer glass to plastic.

I don't have the plastic cologne version (I have Brut classic which im told is the same as Brut Reserve) but I am lead to believe that Brut Reserve is significantly better than the plastic bottle version (close to the original 1960's formula im told), I know it smells better than the EDT in the Squat bottle, im sure if you had been able to spray each on your wrist you would notice a difference

I remember hearing about this. The one without the glass bottle and chain is the old Brut 33. The cheaper version. The one in the glass bottle is a stronger more expensive version. I am not familiar with the older Bruts so maybe some of the older guys know about those two from back in the day.

found it:

"In 1968, a budget range was marketed as Brut 33 because it contained 33% of the fragrance of the original product. Packaged in cheaper plastic bottles, it was described by the company as a "lighter fragrance." Fabergé was taken over by Unilever in 1989, and transferred to the Cheesbrough-Pond's division in 1989. There the Brut 33 range took over the name Brut. The Fabergé version became "Brut Classic by Fabergé" and retained its distinctive packaging"

Then the "Special Reserve Cologne" that the OP speaks of may be the "Brut Classic by Faberge"? Or at least closer to it than the Brut in the plastic bottle?

Last edited:
I ended up picking up both since they're dirt cheap. In comparisons, The Special Reserve Cologne is a bit stronger than the Cologne in the plastic bottle, but only about a pinch. They smell almost identical to me. But I get 200ml vs. 88ml at four dollars cheaper to splash on as much as I want.

Top Bottom