What's new

Brush side up or side down?

Gents,

What is the best way to store a brush after use? I know many people leave them upside down in a stand to dry up and avoid water accumulating in the base of the knot.

It it true that leaving the brush side up will allow water to accumulate in the base and deteriorate the epoxy over time?

I usually stroke my brushes in a dry towel and leave them standing side up to dry.

Cheers

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It makes no discernable difference.
People have said "If my brush wasn't supposed to sit bristles up, they wouldn't make it flat" which is not a convincing argument because just because you can set it down doesn't mean that was the intended storage orientation.
People have said "If my brush wasn't supposed to sit bristles down, they wouldn't make brush hangers" which is not a convincing argument because manufacturers make money from selling brush stands.

Here's an experiment done by weighing a brush to determine drying time both bristles up and bristles down.
The data points all look mathematically sound. There are 40 shaves involved in the testing he did (10 each of 2 brushes, both standing and hanging) each weighed after 24 hours.

There is no evidence to suggest that one is clearly better than the other.

forum-1.jpg

Soon* Haggis Industries will be offering a Brush Systems Centrifuge that will dry any brush — in any orientation, in 30 seconds — after which it can be stood on end, bristles up, as Dog intended. Look for the BS Centrifuge in a SkyMall catalog soonish.

*by "soon" I mean "never."

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ahh, microwave it and be done with it.
I have developed a dog collar with a special holder for my brushes. When I’m done shaving I attach my brush to Jake’s collar and spray him down with water. When he shakes the water out of his coat it automatically shakes/dries my brush at the same time. The only downside is cleaning all the water he shakes off of the bathroom walls, floor, and ceiling.

I knew it was going to be a good thread, got pretty good jokes and even an academic mathematical study :a14:

My first brush, a badger, I used every day and before storing it standing up, I shook it a couple of times. That was the extent of the care/maintenance regime.

Recently, the knot fell out. Possibly because it hadn't dried properly and the base rotted. But because I purchased the brush in 2003, I figured it had done it's job anyway. YMMV. :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@Dands we don’t mean to poke fun at your question. I believe this question has been asked 1,276 times in one form or another.:biggrin1: I think the correct answer is nobody really knows. Some brush makers recommend hanging while others recommend standing. Personally I think the climate where you live has more to do with drying than brush position. If you live in Arizona where the climate will literally suck the moisture out of your mouth your brush will dry quicker and more thoroughly than if you live in Houston, Tx where the humidity on a good day is approx 145%.

@Dands we don’t mean to poke fun at your question. I believe this question has been asked 1,276 times in one form or another.:biggrin1: I think the correct answer is nobody really knows. Some brush makers recommend hanging while others recommend standing. Personally I think the climate where you live has more to do with drying than brush position. If you live in Arizona where the climate will literally suck the moisture out of your mouth your brush will dry quicker and more thoroughly than if you live in Houston, Tx where the humidity on a good day is approx 145%.

Haha I'm sure this was asked many times before. The climate definitely has a lot to do with it. I believe water erodes anything over time, but only if an object is allowed to stay wet constantly. If the brush completely dries out in a couple hours, that's probably the secret here, if there's any.

My first brush, a badger, I used every day and before storing it standing up, I shook it a couple of times. That was the extent of the care/maintenance regime.

Recently, the knot fell out. Possibly because it hadn't dried properly and the base rotted. But because I purchased the brush in 2003, I figured it had done it's job anyway. YMMV. :)
If mine lasts 18 years that will be good enough for me. It is a legitimate excuse I can tell my wife that I need buy another. ;)

Top Bottom