What's new

Brush side up or side down?

It makes no discernable difference.
People have said "If my brush wasn't supposed to sit bristles up, they wouldn't make it flat" which is not a convincing argument because just because you can set it down doesn't mean that was the intended storage orientation.
People have said "If my brush wasn't supposed to sit bristles down, they wouldn't make brush hangers" which is not a convincing argument because manufacturers make money from selling brush stands.

Here's an experiment done by weighing a brush to determine drying time both bristles up and bristles down.
The data points all look mathematically sound. There are 40 shaves involved in the testing he did (10 each of 2 brushes, both standing and hanging) each weighed after 24 hours.

There is no evidence to suggest that one is clearly better than the other.

View attachment 1363630
BLUF: It's your money, your brush, and your choice.

After my morning shave, I thoroughly rinse my brush and gently shake out any excess water and then stroke it on a dry towel. I then place it on a stand for the rest of the day and overnight. The stand isn't so much for the bristles as it is for the handle; I don't like standing my brushes on end if they have a wooden handle for fear of water pooling at the base. Being a creature of habit, I treat all of my brushes the same regardless of bristle or handle type. The next morning I will either use the same brush or put it back on the shelf (bristles up) and swap it with the next brush in rotation. This process works for me.

That said... A couple of days ago I used a synthetic brush to clean some food coloring from my granddaughter's hands. When we were done and I had performed my regular post-use ritual, I put the brush on a stand in the closet rather than on a towel on the counter. A little while later I noticed a small pool of water on the closet shelf beneath the bristles. That water would have been in the knot had I not used the stand (I object, your honor; speculation). I've never noticed it before because the brush stand is usually on a towel which absorbed any remaining water (objection, your honor; again, speculation).

I recently performed my own experiment (out of curiosity rather than trying to prove a point) to see how long it would take some of my brushes to dry in my environment...

1637103293764.png

Your results may/should vary. I rest my case. :cool:

Last edited:
Use a brush, rinse it thoroughly, shake it out well, a bunch of smooth strokes into a plush towel, then back up on the rack.
Simple, no science, and enjoy the ride. The upside down Elite Manchurian and Simpsons Colonel X2L are simply that way
because I have two stands hanging around. Wow !, What a long strange trip it's been ! Loving our hobby !

C66F8BDF-EC19-4D1B-BA15-A9DB1DEBE0BA.jpeg

My first brush, a badger, I used every day and before storing it standing up, I shook it a couple of times. That was the extent of the care/maintenance regime.

Recently, the knot fell out. Possibly because it hadn't dried properly and the base rotted. But because I purchased the brush in 2003, I figured it had done it's job anyway. YMMV. :)
I think your brush did its job pretty well and you got your money's worth I'd say.

I think if anyone doesn't squeeze the excess water from the brush there is a benefit to leaving it dry upside down. I would imagine most people do this and so it doesn't make any difference at all.

I think your brush did its job pretty well and you got your money's worth I'd say.

Yep. I'm still kicking myself (albeit lightly), because I just threw it out, not realising that I could have the handle (a Simpson) fitted with a new knot. It was only after I started lurking here that I realised that was a thing! :p

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
BLUF: It's your money, your brush, and your choice.

After my morning shave, I thoroughly rinse my brush and gently shake out any excess water and then stroke it on a dry towel. I then place it on a stand for the rest of the day and overnight. The stand isn't so much for the bristles as it is for the handle; I don't like standing my brushes on end if they have a wooden handle for fear of water pooling at the base. Being a creature of habit, I treat all of my brushes the same regardless of bristle or handle type. The next morning I will either use the same brush or put it back on the shelf (bristles up) and swap it with the next brush in rotation. This process works for me.

That said... A couple of days ago I used a synthetic brush to clean some food coloring from my granddaughter's hands. When we were done and I had performed my regular post-use ritual, I put the brush on a stand in the closet rather than on a towel on the counter. A little while later I noticed a small pool of water on the closet shelf beneath the bristles. That water would have been in the knot had I not used the stand (I object, your honor; speculation). I've never noticed it before because the brush stand is usually on a towel which absorbed any remaining water (objection, your honor; again, speculation).

I recently performed my own experiment (out of curiosity rather than trying to prove a point) to see how long it would take some of my brushes to dry in my environment...

View attachment 1363868

Your results may/should vary. I rest my case. :cool:
I did a similar trail and your tests are accurate IMO, your information is well detailed. Boar brushes usually take longer to dry because of their natural physical design of hollow hairs or bristles. Synthetic brushes dry out quickly as you noted.
Badger brushes at least are quicker to dry if they are the same knot Diameter than boar brushes but knot by much.
Also when I did my tests this summer we were experiencing a heat wave and house inside temperatures was in the 80*Fahrenheit range so of course it will dry out brushes quicker.
Experimenting with brush drying times. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For me it depends on whether or not the brush handle fits in my brush holder. If the handle fits the brush gets dried hanging down, it the handle doesn’t fit it gets dries standing up.

Great wisdom right here. I prefer smaller handled brushes with smaller knots. 22mm is about as big as I go. I have always hung my brushes upside down, because the two holders I own came with the brushes and I am too much of a cheap bastage to let them go to waste. :)

That is a fantastic dodge- congrats!

Reminds me of Ned Flanders avoiding the whole chunky or smooth peanut butter furball by eating his bread dry but with a glass of water on the side for dipping. Ole' Steady Neddy. 🤣

I dry and store my brushes hair- up and then do not think about it much....

I lay mine sideways across a smaller mug to dry.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The brush and its wet hair...really does not care if it is dried upside or upside down, or tilted to any degree. Water evaporates in pretty much all three dimensional settings the same...
Only one rule: never put a wet or moist brush into an enclosed space.

The brush and its wet hair...really does not care if it is dried upside or upside down, or tilted to any degree. Water evaporates in pretty much all three dimensional settings the same...
Only one rule: never put a wet or moist brush into an enclosed space.
I think the reasoning of the bristles down guys is to some extent the preservation of the glue without overlong exposure to water should it collect on the base of the knot.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the reasoning of the bristles down guys is to some extent the preservation of the glue without overlong exposure to water should it collect on the base of the knot.
My impression is that wicking occurs in all directions just like evaporation, so it likely doesn't make a difference. But that's me.

I'm old enough to b proficient in shaking down the mercury column on medical and lab thermometers,so giving my brushes sufficient forceful flick of the wrist removes mostv moisture. Plus livin in the desert with indoor near-zero % humidity they dry pretty quick.

Top Bottom