What's new

Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers

Alright fellas, I need some help finding a soap for travel. I reached out to Soap Commander and they won't be doing any travel sized stuff so I need to find an unscented soap to travel with. I need to find a 3 oz size container of soap. This has nothing to do with TSA regs since solids are not restricted. It is all about size and room in my Dopp kit/suitcase. All of Soap Commanders limited edition soaps come in a 3 oz plastic tin and that is a perfect compromise size for travel but they all have fragrances. Stirling soaps are all in 5.8 oz tins and I find them to be too big. Has anyone run across anything? I guess next on my agenda to figure out how to do, is making a shave soap. I have way too many hobbies!
Try checking out Le Pere Lucien. They have an unscented soap and it comes in a small stainless tin. I have one that I use for travel. Not sure they have the small size tins anymore...but its worth checking. Copper Hat in BC also makes an unscented soap in a smaller size tin. And it is a wonderful soap.

Try checking out Le Pere Lucien. They have an unscented soap and it comes in a small stainless tin. I have one that I use for travel. Not sure they have the small size tins anymore...but its worth checking. Copper Hat in BC also makes an unscented soap in a smaller size tin. And it is a wonderful soap.

Thank you sir! Copper Hat on order :)

Last edited:
Any feedback on the Copper Hat soaps. I know they have been around a while but you don't hear much about them. If it's the same one listed in the unscented section for Maggard's the Le Pere Lucien looks to have Lavender and Eucalyptus probably very light though.

Any feedback on the Copper Hat soaps. I know they have been around a while but you don't hear much about them. If it's the same one listed in the unscented section for Maggard's the Le Pere Lucien looks to have Lavender and Eucalyptus probably very light though.
I purchased the Copper Hat unscented soap some time ago and it was very nice. No scent at all. Great lather. Nice screw lid metal container. I would order it again with no hesitation.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Alright fellas, I need some help finding a soap for travel. I reached out to Soap Commander and they won't be doing any travel sized stuff so I need to find an unscented soap to travel with. I need to find a 3 oz size container of soap. This has nothing to do with TSA regs since solids are not restricted. It is all about size and room in my Dopp kit/suitcase. All of Soap Commanders limited edition soaps come in a 3 oz plastic tin and that is a perfect compromise size for travel but they all have fragrances. Stirling soaps are all in 5.8 oz tins and I find them to be too big. Has anyone run across anything? I guess next on my agenda to figure out how to do, is making a shave soap. I have way too many hobbies!
I know it's not a quick solution, but maybe making some shave sticks would work out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah the shave sticks are handy. Unless your speaking of a special container from the past the Soap Commander Integrity is unscented.

I know it's not a quick solution, but maybe making some shave sticks would work out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm going to try to figure out how to make a usable shave soap. I make an unscented bath soap that I really like so I just need to work out the "recipe". I've never about making a stick though. I'll look into it and see how feasible it is to do so. I have a couple of those screw up containers.

Yeah the shave sticks are handy. Unless your speaking of a special container from the past the Soap Commander Integrity is unscented.

I use the Integrity line from SC. I asked them if they would consider packaging the line in travel sizes. As it turns out, those of us who only use unscented do not drive market decisions. Who knew? hehehe

Stirling sells samples for cheap. They're a good size for travel and should easily fit into a 3 oz container. I assume they have them in the unscented soaps. Is that an option ?

Stirling sells samples for cheap. They're a good size for travel and should easily fit into a 3 oz container. I assume they have them in the unscented soaps. Is that an option ?

Sure, samples would be an option. I probably should have mentioned this but I was gone for two weeks and kind of forgot. When I got home this weekend, the wonderful folks at Soap Commander sent me some samples of the Integrity soap and a small container to put them in. They also sent a small squeeze container to transfer balm into. That is pretty special customer service!

I received my Copper Hat today. I"ll give it a try and report back.

I tried the Copper Hat this morning. The razor used was a Muhle R41. I am a scuttle user (even when I travel). I found this to be an excellent soap. Very slick providing exceptional glide. Lathered easily into a creamy lather with a fantastic amount of air providing well structured hard peaks in the scuttle. It is unscented (duh) but has a faint nutty smell to it. The smell does not linger. My post shave routine consists of alum applied and left on followed by Soap Commander Integrity balm. I actually forgot the balm this morning and still feel nothing to indicate I needed it.

Like I said, this was about travel. The tin is small but metal. I would rather the container be plastic for travel so as to not give the TSA just one more thing to question when going through security, but I'm sure it won't pose any problems.

It's only a first use but I would say that this provided me a more comfortable shave than my Stirling's. My Integrity contains 8 ingredients; the Copper Hat contains 14. The Copper Hat's 2nd ingredient is vegetable glycerin in case someone has an issue with that. I do think that the high glycerin amount will help with the diverse types of hotel water throughout the country.

I tried the Copper Hat this morning. The razor used was a Muhle R41. I am a scuttle user (even when I travel). I found this to be an excellent soap. Very slick providing exceptional glide. Lathered easily into a creamy lather with a fantastic amount of air providing well structured hard peaks in the scuttle. It is unscented (duh) but has a faint nutty smell to it. The smell does not linger. My post shave routine consists of alum applied and left on followed by Soap Commander Integrity balm. I actually forgot the balm this morning and still feel nothing to indicate I needed it.

Like I said, this was about travel. The tin is small but metal. I would rather the container be plastic for travel so as to not give the TSA just one more thing to question when going through security, but I'm sure it won't pose any problems.

It's only a first use but I would say that this provided me a more comfortable shave than my Stirling's. My Integrity contains 8 ingredients; the Copper Hat contains 14. The Copper Hat's 2nd ingredient is vegetable glycerin in case someone has an issue with that. I do think that the high glycerin amount will help with the diverse types of hotel water throughout the country.
Glad you are enjoying the Copper Hat. Your review reminds me that I should order a new tin. I gave mine to my son.

Howdy folks! What you are looking at below is my first two attempts at a shave soap. Please keep in mind I'm not trying sell this stuff. I learned how to make soap out of a need for an unscented bath soap. The process coverts to shave soap pretty easily. I got together a number of recipes and picked the two that interested me the most. One has animal products in it one does not. One is ultra simple, the other is a bit more "lush". Both have a small amount of vegetable glycerin. I am going to let these sit for a few days before I give them a try. Stay tuned...

upload_2019-4-24_12-50-45.png

Howdy folks! What you are looking at below is my first two attempts at a shave soap. Please keep in mind I'm not trying sell this stuff. I learned how to make soap out of a need for an unscented bath soap. The process coverts to shave soap pretty easily. I got together a number of recipes and picked the two that interested me the most. One has animal products in it one does not. One is ultra simple, the other is a bit more "lush". Both have a small amount of vegetable glycerin. I am going to let these sit for a few days before I give them a try. Stay tuned...

View attachment 975214
Nice. I've always wanted to try making my own shaving soap...but my fear was that I would do something wrong and end up with 10 tubs of soap that won't lather.

Nice. I've always wanted to try making my own shaving soap...but my fear was that I would do something wrong and end up with 10 tubs of soap that won't lather.

That's the joy of the 10% rule. Simple arithmetic says 32 oz X .1 = 3.2 oz. Now I only have one tin to throw out if it doesn't work. Obviously I'll keep the group posted. I probably won't try them until this weekend. If they can't pass the R41 test, I'll consider them a failure.

Good luck Ralph hope they work out.

I haven't used a cream in a long time so I have two on the way. The Saponificio Bignoli and the Taylor of Old Bond Street Organic.

Well, I could wait no longer. I gave the soaps I made a whirl this morning. I fear this might be a long post so I apologize right off the bat. I will tell you that I was surprised at the end of the shave at the outcome. As a novice soap maker I understand the results but I think my heart wanted a different outcome.
I did a two pass shave with my Muhle R41 and a new Astra SP blade.
I shaved the right side of my face with soap 01, WTG.
I shaved the left side of my face with soap 10, WTG.
I made a final XTG full face shave with ... (If I said so here, it would be a spoiler).

I am a scuttle user and find no enjoyment in face lathering. What I did so I didn't have to clean the scuttle after each use and replace the water so I wan't swayed by temperature, was I palm lathered for the first application of lather (the WTG pass).
Once I made a decision as to which I liked better, I did use my scuttle.

I'm going post a series of pictures for each soap and I'll talk a little about each one before moving on.
Here goes...

Soap 01

upload_2019-4-26_3-56-56.png

upload_2019-4-26_3-57-10.png

upload_2019-4-26_3-57-20.png

upload_2019-4-26_3-57-29.png

This was the right side of my face. This soap lathered very quickly and creamy. It required very little water to get it to a wonderful pillowy lather.

Soap 10

upload_2019-4-26_4-0-4.png

upload_2019-4-26_4-0-13.png

upload_2019-4-26_4-0-31.png

upload_2019-4-26_4-0-53.png

This soap lathered with effort. It is a harder soap and it appeared that the brush did not load as well. At first it was quite pasty but once I realized it was a damn thirsty soap, adding much more water than I normally do made this a wonderfully thick luxurious lather.

Let's talk about the shave.
I think that I could mow my lawn with an R41 if used properly so I really didn't think much about how the razor would react going into the actual shave. I guess when we are all just going through our days, we don't give much thought to the things that happen over and over and over again.
Well, the right side of my face, with soap 01, shaved very differently than the left. The R41 dragged as it shave WTG. I could feel some slight tugging. Nothing horrible mind you, just some tugging that I don't get with my usual Soap Commander Integrity. Aside from some tugging, the shave went quite well. The soap rinsed clean and the eventual brush clean up was easy. This soap had ZERO smell by the way. I mean none! I was very happy with that.
The left side of my face was very different. I even had to add more water to the brush and do a little face lathering. The R41... well, it was like ice skating on my face. It glided down my face with no effort. I won't BS anyone with flowery descriptions here, it is a shave soap, used for shaving after all. There are ingredients in there that give this soap some smell. It's just the ingredients and not due to anything being added. I will say that there was no drag but the shaves were both fine WTG first passes.

On to the XTG pass.
I made up my mind very quickly about which one I wanted to use. My scuttle produced a wonderful warm lather. Since it will be pretty easy to figure out which, by the brush I used...

upload_2019-4-26_4-25-14.png

upload_2019-4-26_4-25-22.png

The XTG pass was as nice as any other soap I have used (that I liked).

Soap 01 has 6 total ingredients.
Stearic Acid
Coconut Oil
Potassium Hydroxide
Sodium Hydroxide
Water
Vegetable Glycerin

Soap 10 has 8 total ingredients.
Stearic Acid
Lard
Shea Butter
Coconut Oil
Potassium Hydroxide
Sodium Hydroxide
Water
Vegetable Glycerin

I will be making more of this and I'm willing to share if anyone wants some. Thanks for indulging me in this little adventure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom