What's new

Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Marco method? Guess I'm going to have to do a little research.

If you're interested, I have used Stirling Unscented w/ Beeswax, Stirling Naked and Smooth, Soap Commander Integrity, Chiseled Face Cryogen, and Catie's Bubbles Le Nude since the Wholly Kaw and not one problem with any of those using the same brush, water, and technique.
I got to whipping. I used a very ver boar brush. Loaded for about a minute. Went to the face. Did 3 more quick dips of water and it was pretty good to go. I cant recall. It does seem to be sticky when it's not hydrated. I have the Donkey Milk formula to be specific.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I got to whipping. I used a very ver boar brush. Loaded for about a minute. Went to the face. Did 3 more quick dips of water and it was pretty good to go. I cant recall. It does seem to be sticky when it's not hydrated. I have the Donkey Milk formula to be specific.

I'm sure it was my water and their formula. Like I said, it was pasty right up to the point where it turned too frothy. Every other soap I've tried, I've had no problem with (water/soap/lather).

KeenDogg

I'm sure it was my water and their formula. Like I said, it was pasty right up to the point where it turned too frothy. Every other soap I've tried, I've had no problem with (water/soap/lather).
That's a bummer. Shave on, right?

It's been kind of quiet around here few a few days so I just thought I'd open my trap (so to speak)...
I have shaved a couple times with Soap Commander Integrity soap and boy do I love it! It did take a couple shaves with it to get the water to soap ration down but once I did, oh boy! I also have used their Integrity balm. WOW! This balm has skyrocketed to the top of my favorite list. The balm does have menthol in it so beware. I also use a heavily mentholated splash of some kind. For all of these shaves I used Snake Bite because I am very familiar with how it behaves on my skin. I can't tell if this group treats menthol as a scent or not. The only thing that I found using this combo is that for a couple hours, my skin felt very tight. I have not felt that when I use Snake Bite and/or the Integrity balm before so it's either the combination or the soap causing the tightness. It is in no way uncomfortable, just noticeable.

KeenDogg

It's been kind of quiet around here few a few days so I just thought I'd open my trap (so to speak)...
I have shaved a couple times with Soap Commander Integrity soap and boy do I love it! It did take a couple shaves with it to get the water to soap ration down but once I did, oh boy! I also have used their Integrity balm. WOW! This balm has skyrocketed to the top of my favorite list. The balm does have menthol in it so beware. I also use a heavily mentholated splash of some kind. For all of these shaves I used Snake Bite because I am very familiar with how it behaves on my skin. I can't tell if this group treats menthol as a scent or not. The only thing that I found using this combo is that for a couple hours, my skin felt very tight. I have not felt that when I use Snake Bite and/or the Integrity balm before so it's either the combination or the soap causing the tightness. It is in no way uncomfortable, just noticeable.
I think menthol is a scent. I haven't used it in a long time, but I remember being ok with it.

KeenDogg

Gillette has a cream out now called PURE. Has anyone picked any up?

I think menthol is a scent. I haven't used it in a long time, but I remember being ok with it.

I was trying to figure out how to post a poll on here to determine what every ones thoughts were on it. No luck. I know that technically it is a "scent". Does that mean I have to resign from B.U.G.S. Damn it!

I've used snakebite and I like it. No negative reactions so far.

I'm trying to be extra good for the month of Feb and just use my AOS unscented and witch hazel.
I still have a few lingering patches on my neck and forehead which I assume are from the soap that started my adventure. But I have tried a few lightly scented things and have been mostly okay with them. The odd thing for me is I notice a slight itchy feeling and maybe a few light bumps that I would have ignored before my test. Since I don't get those things when I use the unscented I figure they're the allergies they picked up. But so far the only think I can't tolerate at all is the pure lavender. That stuff kills me all of a sudden. I'm hoping the lesser varieties are okay but I'm going slow.

Honestly, I'm getting the best shaves of my life. It's so odd.

To me menthol isn't a scent...but I think it really is. lol

KeenDogg

I was trying to figure out how to post a poll on here to determine what every ones thoughts were on it. No luck. I know that technically it is a "scent". Does that mean I have to resign from B.U.G.S. Damn it!
You're absolutely stil in. You couldnt get out if you wanted to! Hahahaha!

How do you guys feel about Catie's Bubbles Le Nude? I found it to be not very slick. I reapplied a lot throughout the shave.

KeenDogg

How do you guys feel about Catie's Bubbles Le Nude? I found it to be not very slick. I reapplied a lot throughout the shave.
I have yet to try it. I've heard good things about them, though.

I wrote to Soap Commander about doing a splash in their Integrity line. Here is the response...

Carrie Seibert <[email protected]>
Tue 2/5/2019 08:42
You

Hi Ralph,
You are not being a pest at all! We don't have plans at the present time to offer Integrity splash, but if there is enough interest I'd be happy to make some at some point.
Thanks for asking!
Carrie

KeenDogg

I wrote to Soap Commander about doing a splash in their Integrity line. Here is the response...

Carrie Seibert <[email protected]>
Tue 2/5/2019 08:42
You

Hi Ralph,
You are not being a pest at all! We don't have plans at the present time to offer Integrity splash, but if there is enough interest I'd be happy to make some at some point.
Thanks for asking!
Carrie
I wonder how big of a number she'd need to make it worth her while. I know if you could get enough guys to commit, it could probably happen. Maybe you could post out in the AS forum to see who's game.

I wonder how big of a number she'd need to make it worth her while. I know if you could get enough guys to commit, it could probably happen. Maybe you could post out in the AS forum to see who's game.

I thought I'd test the waters here first though. I'm surprised that they (Soap Commander) feel that there is no real need for it. I would figure that all their AS starts off as unscented and then the fragrance is added. Seems to me that you could tap the barrel for a couple bottles of unscented before adding anything. I guess it's a more involved process. Stirling makes an unscented splash so I guess we all can just keep getting it from them. It's good to boot!

KeenDogg

I thought I'd test the waters here first though. I'm surprised that they (Soap Commander) feel that there is no real need for it. I would figure that all their AS starts off as unscented and then the fragrance is added. Seems to me that you could tap the barrel for a couple bottles of unscented before adding anything. I guess it's a more involved process. Stirling makes an unscented splash so I guess we all can just keep getting it from them. It's good to boot!
Maybe their philosophy is that scent is the heart of the aftershave and healing properties come second. It is surprising they wouldn't have one. I might look into that Stirling. I only have balm right now but I'd like to get back into a splash.

Maybe their philosophy is that scent is the heart of the aftershave and healing properties come second. It is surprising they wouldn't have one. I might look into that Stirling. I only have balm right now but I'd like to get back into a splash.
I use both a splash and a balm. I prefer Soap Commander's balm just slightly but use both (Stirling and SC) equally. I do like Stirling's splash.

I think when my Snakebite is gone I'm going to try making my own.
I have a bottle of Everclear that I used to use to cut colognes down to aftershave strength. All you need to do is add distilled water and/or witch hazel and if you like some menthol. You could also use perfumers alcohol but the Everclear was cheaper. lol

But I never noticed Stirling offered some unscented as. I'll have to try that just because I'm a loyal customer.
You're making me want to try soap commander now too. Right now I'm kind of paranoid though, my skin is still wacky.

I think when my Snakebite is gone I'm going to try making my own.
I have a bottle of Everclear that I used to use to cut colognes down to aftershave strength. All you need to do is add distilled water and/or witch hazel and if you like some menthol. You could also use perfumers alcohol but the Everclear was cheaper. lol

But I never noticed Stirling offered some unscented as. I'll have to try that just because I'm a loyal customer.
You're making me want to try soap commander now too. Right now I'm kind of paranoid though, my skin is still wacky.

Give the SC stuff a try. I really like splash's before applying balm. I wish I could convince SC to make their splash in Integrity but they need more folks to ask for it. Their balm with and without menthol is wonderful.
I'm sure you are aware that Stirling makes their unscented as with menthol. I think the "glacier" has more menthol than Snakebite. I have a bottle of both, with and without menthol. I really do like them both.
Let us know how your home brew as turns out. Excited to hear your results.

Top Bottom