What's new

Braun Series 9 vs 6 (mini review)

tl;dr - the 9 is awesome!

Background - in early February, I posted to the Modern Shaving Systems some info about me and my desire to try an electric:
44 years old. Sensitive skin. I shave with a cartridge on Monday and Thursday right now and find that I'm great all day and at least through half of the day after. Off Wednesday so skin gets a break that day and on weekends. I was using Gillette Fusion for years and a badger brush with Proraso soap in a bowl then finish with Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Switched to Shick Hydro 5 Sensitive last year whcih I think I like better but am suddenly getting lots of irritation hours after the shave that is lasting a day or two without any obvious burn. Hair is not curly. Almost always shave right after a morning shower. Tend to do two passes with the grain on cheeks, one pass with the grain everywhere else. Could never handle going against the grain. I tried a safety blade once years ago and just couldn't get a handle on it.

I received lots of good advice from that thread and ended up going with the brand new Braun Series 6 6075cc which I got from Amazon for $120. I chose the 6 as it claimed to be a great fit for sensitive skin and was a perfect price point. I used the 6 for a month and found my skin far preferred the electric to manual shaves. No irritation using a dry method of Williams 'Lectric - wait 30 secs - shave with/against grain - witch hazel - shower - Nivea aftershave. All was going well until I accidentally dropped the head while cleaning it and the foils became dislodged. I was able to reseat them but I found the shaver was now pulling more than before. Unfortunately, replacement heads for the brand new 6 are not available yet. I had a decision to make (switch to manual and wait for a new 6 head, buy another 6, or upgrade to a 7/9) and decided to upgrade to a series 9.

I found a great deal on the Series 9 9295cc for $208 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. This was the outgoing model as Braun just put out a new version of the 9 but every review I found claimed the shave was identical. At a saving of $100, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I've shaved twice with the new Series 9 and it really is better than the 6 in every way but one (I hate the chrome finish).

In looking at the specs, the 6 runs at 8,000 RPM for each of its three parts (2 foil and 1 cutter in middle) whereas the 9 runs at 10,000 RPM for each of its 4 cutters.

I started with the 9 on 3 days growth and the shaver just plowed through the hairs without hesitation. I had nothing to compare my prior series 6 to but now that I could I found the following:
1. The Series 6 required far more runs than the 9 to get all the hairs cut
2. The 6 would occasionally snag on longer growth - especially in the chin area
3. There are a couple of spots where I have to go backwards and against the grain (literally backing up the shaver) and this was borderline uncomfortable with the 6 but smoother with the 9
4. The 9 definitely got more flat hairs but still missed a few on the neck despite best efforts
5. The easy pop up trimmer of the 9 meant I could get those stray hairs quickly and then switch right back to the shaver to clean up the area. On the 6, it required removing the foil head, putting on the trimmer head, cutting the strays then switching the head back to finish.
6. The 9 definitely gets warmer than the 6 but not uncomfortably so.
7. I prefer the look of the 9 clean station without that arm but think the 6 clean station with the arm is better for the device long-term as I could decide to not charge the device to 100% (no gauge so approximately) to keep the LiION battery healthier for longer in theory. Also the 9 clean station fan is annoying in that it runs for 30-40 minutes after the cleaning part.

Really long post but hope it is helpful for some. When I bought the 6, I had no idea I would like electrics so much. Had I known that (and that the 9 was just as good for sensitive skin), I would have gone with the series 7 or 9 from the start. The retail price of the 9 is very, very high at $300. Getting one (even in chrome) for $208 made the 'upgrade' possible.

I like knowing that I won't have to pay for skipping days with the 9 in the form of more passes and having the foils snag a bit on the chin. I love the integrated trimmer for ease of use. To go back to the Background, I still shave on Mon and Thurs right now as I am home and doing all video stuff so can get away with 1-2 days growth. I find that I am still mostly 'clean shaven' by 5pm with the 9 though I do have blonde/light brown hair so that helps delay the 5 o'clock shadow from showing.

Happy to answer any questions about the 6 vs 9 if you have any.

Good choice on the S9, and great price - one of the best electrics on the market, and not my exclusive opinion. You observe a common problem with foil shavers (Braun handles better than most) of catching flat-lying hairs, but you'll find as you shave and "train" future beard growth the incidence will be less. The automatic beard density detector does work well, and will adjust for heavier growth. The shaves will just improve with time - congrats, and enjoy the new shaver!

tl;dr - the 9 is awesome!

Background - in early February, I posted to the Modern Shaving Systems some info about me and my desire to try an electric:
44 years old. Sensitive skin. I shave with a cartridge on Monday and Thursday right now and find that I'm great all day and at least through half of the day after. Off Wednesday so skin gets a break that day and on weekends. I was using Gillette Fusion for years and a badger brush with Proraso soap in a bowl then finish with Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Switched to Shick Hydro 5 Sensitive last year whcih I think I like better but am suddenly getting lots of irritation hours after the shave that is lasting a day or two without any obvious burn. Hair is not curly. Almost always shave right after a morning shower. Tend to do two passes with the grain on cheeks, one pass with the grain everywhere else. Could never handle going against the grain. I tried a safety blade once years ago and just couldn't get a handle on it.

I received lots of good advice from that thread and ended up going with the brand new Braun Series 6 6075cc which I got from Amazon for $120. I chose the 6 as it claimed to be a great fit for sensitive skin and was a perfect price point. I used the 6 for a month and found my skin far preferred the electric to manual shaves. No irritation using a dry method of Williams 'Lectric - wait 30 secs - shave with/against grain - witch hazel - shower - Nivea aftershave. All was going well until I accidentally dropped the head while cleaning it and the foils became dislodged. I was able to reseat them but I found the shaver was now pulling more than before. Unfortunately, replacement heads for the brand new 6 are not available yet. I had a decision to make (switch to manual and wait for a new 6 head, buy another 6, or upgrade to a 7/9) and decided to upgrade to a series 9.

I found a great deal on the Series 9 9295cc for $208 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. This was the outgoing model as Braun just put out a new version of the 9 but every review I found claimed the shave was identical. At a saving of $100, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I've shaved twice with the new Series 9 and it really is better than the 6 in every way but one (I hate the chrome finish).

In looking at the specs, the 6 runs at 8,000 RPM for each of its three parts (2 foil and 1 cutter in middle) whereas the 9 runs at 10,000 RPM for each of its 4 cutters.

I started with the 9 on 3 days growth and the shaver just plowed through the hairs without hesitation. I had nothing to compare my prior series 6 to but now that I could I found the following:
1. The Series 6 required far more runs than the 9 to get all the hairs cut
2. The 6 would occasionally snag on longer growth - especially in the chin area
3. There are a couple of spots where I have to go backwards and against the grain (literally backing up the shaver) and this was borderline uncomfortable with the 6 but smoother with the 9
4. The 9 definitely got more flat hairs but still missed a few on the neck despite best efforts
5. The easy pop up trimmer of the 9 meant I could get those stray hairs quickly and then switch right back to the shaver to clean up the area. On the 6, it required removing the foil head, putting on the trimmer head, cutting the strays then switching the head back to finish.
6. The 9 definitely gets warmer than the 6 but not uncomfortably so.
7. I prefer the look of the 9 clean station without that arm but think the 6 clean station with the arm is better for the device long-term as I could decide to not charge the device to 100% (no gauge so approximately) to keep the LiION battery healthier for longer in theory. Also the 9 clean station fan is annoying in that it runs for 30-40 minutes after the cleaning part.

Really long post but hope it is helpful for some. When I bought the 6, I had no idea I would like electrics so much. Had I known that (and that the 9 was just as good for sensitive skin), I would have gone with the series 7 or 9 from the start. The retail price of the 9 is very, very high at $300. Getting one (even in chrome) for $208 made the 'upgrade' possible.

I like knowing that I won't have to pay for skipping days with the 9 in the form of more passes and having the foils snag a bit on the chin. I love the integrated trimmer for ease of use. To go back to the Background, I still shave on Mon and Thurs right now as I am home and doing all video stuff so can get away with 1-2 days growth. I find that I am still mostly 'clean shaven' by 5pm with the 9 though I do have blonde/light brown hair so that helps delay the 5 o'clock shadow from showing.

Happy to answer any questions about the 6 vs 9 if you have any.

Are you located in the United States? If so, the series six is still under Braun’s 3 month return policy. I would call their tolll free number and tell them you don’t like the shaver and return it as per their instructions. I assume you have the receipt and they will refund your money. I wouldn’t mention anything about dropping the head on the floor. 😋

Are you located in the United States? If so, the series six is still under Braun’s 3 month return policy. I would call their tolll free number and tell them you don’t like the shaver and return it as per their instructions. I assume you have the receipt and they will refund your money. I wouldn’t mention anything about dropping the head on the floor. 😋

Thanks Flyboybob

I actually emailed Braun support and they told me about the return policy and, even though I mentioned the head falling, seemed to imply I should leave that out of my message to them.

I shipped the 6 out on Friday and will see if I am reimbursed.

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences. I was eyeing the new 6 and have been on the fence about it. I really miss my (old style) 7. I keep looking around online as they go on sale every few months, when I had mine I got the second generation old style series 7 with cleaning base for $100 flat after combining a sale price, additional coupon, and mail in rebate. My series 3 with cleaning base was $70 lol. I like the low profile and simplified cleaning station of the series 3, the non-pivoting head works fine for me, the pop up trimmer works surprisingly well, and the replacement foils are cheap and available locally. The only thing I dont like about it is the motor, I have very dense growth of very thick hairs and I can hear/feel it struggle sometimes especially now that I'm about half way through my 'blade' life.

Thanks Flyboybob

I actually emailed Braun support and they told me about the return policy and, even though I mentioned the head falling, seemed to imply I should leave that out of my message to them.

I shipped the 6 out on Friday and will see if I am reimbursed.

I think they will reimburse you the money because their policy says “for any reason”.

I think they will reimburse you the money because their policy says “for any reason”.

Yes, I don't foresee any issues. They are pretty good with honoring that policy. Only issue I ever ran into was them wanting me to cover the return shipping but with the size of the box needed and the insurance requirement (cost of the device minimum) it was going to run me $45 shipping to get a $70 refund lol

Congrats on the Series 9. If you read my other post, I found a great way to cut the longer hairs on my neck. Go against the grain to help it stick up, and press lightly on your skin when cutting the long hairs. This prevents them from laying flat as much.

map your beard direction. And so don't shave only ATG . If necessary go with trasversal strokes. you may be surprised to discover how much you can improve the shave by following the beard map instead of going up and down.

Top Bottom