What's new

Bourbon drinkers. What is your favorite?

Blantons was on sale, so I just picked up a bottle. I like a lot of diffeent bourbons but this is my all time favorite! Whatever you have, ejoy it!

Dave

I'm fairly new to drinking bourbon after years of drinking beer. SWMBO isn't much of a drinker so it wasn't economical for me to keep beer in the house anymore. :001_tongu
Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, and Russel's Reserve 10 year old have been what I've drank fairly regularly. Russel's Reserve was the first bourbon I bought last Christmas after having some with egg nog at a friend's party. Perhaps it's because of the sweetness but it did complement the nog perfectly. I've really enjoyed rye as well. Templeton's and Overholt are both fairly expensive where I live, but the local grocery carries Jim Beam Rye and I've really been impressed with it.

I'm sure some of you might have read these, but I'd recommend "Whiskey" by Michael Jackson. Jackson was a pretty well known beer critic and I believe he passed away recently. It's more of a coffee table-style book, but it discusses whiskey ( or whisky) from all over the world as well nearly every available brand/style. "99 Drams of Whiskey" is written by a woman who runs a blog known as the Accidental Hedonist. I have to admit, it was hard to read a book about whiskey by a woman. Guess I'm a little more chauvinist than I thought. But it's interesting and informative and written in a more familiar style than Jackson's book.

Having been born just south of Louisville I have never met a bourbon that I didn't like.

One of the great things about bourbon is that you can hit different price ranges and still experience good-better-best within each range!

On the top end, it is hard to beat Knob Creek or Basil Hayden's.

At the bottom, there is always Old Crow, the classic "Bird" whiskey - "cheep cheep cheep" . . . even that is drinkable!!

Jim Beam has, for years, been my "go to" bourbon, with the occasional Evan Williams or Ezra Brooks thrown in for variety. They are all good!!

SWMBO put a fifth of Jim Beam under the tree for me this year. Attached was a nip of "red STAG by Jim Beam". This is a bourbon infused with "natural flavors" - in this case, black cherry.

I grabbed an appropriate glass, filled it with ice, and poured. The initial aroma was woody and a little yeasty, not unlike any Beam product. Once aired, the cherry elements came through. My first thought was "Middleton's Cherry" pipe tobacco. SWMBO took a sniff, and she immediately recognized the same aroma.

The sip was something I will never forget. Sweet, like Southern Comfort. My mouth puckered like I just took a hard hit of a hot pipe of Middleton's. I swallowed, and the finish was like a cherry cough drop. She and I had a good chuckle, and I sipped the rest of the nip. (Can't let any bourbon go to waste, can we?)

I probably won't buy a fifth by itself, but would probably try a nip again as an after-dinner drink.

Woodford Reserve for me as well. A bartender in Vegas on a business trip turned me on to it and I've not looked back since!

That being said some Gentlemen Jack from time to time is really good as well.

Woodford Reserve for me as well. A bartender in Vegas on a business trip turned me on to it and I've not looked back since!

That being said some Gentlemen Jack from time to time is really good as well.

find yourself a bottle of black maple hills. It's the stuff we drink when woodford doesn't seem nice enough.

A bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed just had to jump into my basket last night at the liquor store. In a Glencairn glass, with a splash of water, it was magnificent. Complex, big in every way, remaining aromatic into a long finish. Wonderful stuff! Now at the top of my list that includes Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Baker's 107, Woodford Reserve, Weller Antique, and others.

A bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed just had to jump into my basket last night at the liquor store. In a Glencairn glass, with a splash of water, it was magnificent. Complex, big in every way, remaining aromatic into a long finish. Wonderful stuff! Now at the top of my list that includes Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Baker's 107, Woodford Reserve, Weller Antique, and others.

Yep. RB is probably my favorite WT whiskey.

Tim

The only bourbon I ever tried is Jim Beam and I must say it's a smooth drinker, not like the cheap scotch I put in my flask... which happens to be a metal Jim Beam flask :thumbup:

I just bought some Elijah Craig 8 year while on vacation. Last bottle was Buffalo Trace. Bottle before that was Eagle Rare... I like variety.

You guys have already named all the good ones.

My current favorite is George Dickel rye.

I know, it's not technically a bourbon, but it sure tastes like one, and it sure tastes good.

Top Bottom