What's new

Bourbon drinkers. What is your favorite?

Was a fan of makers for a while. Then some friends and I started doing blind taste tests, neat. Following those trials, I traveled and did more tests, based on availability. Woodford almost consistently came out tops. Four roses, early times and knob creek always ranked high as well. But surprising to all, makers always finished toward the bottom. We noticed its improvement once mixed, but only with something other than water or soda.

Now don't bump me off this thread for the next note, but we also threw the notorious non-bourbon, JD, into the mix just because it was on hand. Call us amateurs, but while most were able to identify it quicker for the distinct taste, it always got surprisingly good reviews in any comparison.

testing assumptions ... Always interesting.

I'll agree on the JD, Single Barrel. Woodford as well. I am a fan of Bulleitt, and where I live it's $20 cheaper than Single Barrel Jack. In the end, I'm not complaining...

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I'll agree on the JD, Single Barrel. Woodford as well. I am a fan of Bulleitt, and where I live it's $20 cheaper than Single Barrel Jack. In the end, I'm not complaining...

I really like the Jack Daniel Single Barrel.
BUT/HOWEVER
I picked up a couple of bottles of it at a duty free in Jamaica. For export it is called Silver Select and is bottled at 100 proof.
Much much much better.

I tried Old Forester 100 proof tonight. Wow! Ive always been a Woodford Reserve fan and IMO this is very similar. At around $20 where I live its hard to argue its one of the better bargain whiskeys on the market. Its so smooth, check it out if you run across it.

Top Bottom